the lowly pellet- itchin for bitchin- wink , wink

This is in response to the slug craze , which i have allowed myself to fall victim to. Now , NOT TO DISRESPECT SLUGS , from NSA or VK and so forth. But , are they worth the hassle? If shooting excess of 100 yards - YES. the combined higher energy dump and better ballistic coefficient justifies that. however it has a corrispondingly higher unit cost. Question is DO I NEED IT? for me , NO. i will not shoot past the majic 100 yards. my skill does not warrant it. the reason this item is designed is for medium game past 100 yards. which i do not do. now for the lowly pellet - inside of 20 yards , the crow mag is balls cheap and packs a HUGE wallop. all my other shots can be dealt with 34g JSB at least until the hades 25 cal shows up. the second aspect is the barrel fouling i encountered while firing slugs. now are slugs the deal? for some YES! but there is the multi versitility of the basic pellet that still appeals -to MANY , including me 😃👍

now i know there are several well known shooters that are slug disciples - matt dubber , the TED , Bob O , amongst others , and i hold NOTHING against them. they are awesome , i just feel the pellet is being trashed to easily nowadays. peace to all!

@ramgur, I don’t believe pellets in general are being “trashed”. Some like to shoot long distances (150 plus yards) and slugs give an advantage in those instances. Where I pest I could set up for 200 yard shots, but have no desire (lack of skill) to do so. I’m good out to 100 yards with JSB 18s that’s good enough for my pesting scenarios. Those pushing the envelope show us what is possible. What should be emphasized is that many of the long range shooters pushing the limits have done their due diligence and put in a lot of work to make those shots possible.

I've been watching this craze for awhile now and have debated whether or not if it's worth jumping on the bandwagon. I can see the appeal for some who may live in a highly gun control restricted area (i.e. no suppressors, caliber restrictions, and the like) where using an air rifle with slugs might make since. Some folks live freer than others.

I generally pass on the craze due to cost. Slugs usually cost around the $15 mark for 100 on average. Are you kidding me?! For the same amount, I can pick up 200 rounds of quality 22lr. One of the major benefits to air gunning is the relatively cheap cost of pellets. 

Shooting pellets out to 100 yards and achieving sub moa groups is possible with most of today's modern air rifles. Heck, shooting out to 150 yards or more can be done if you apply proper shooting techniques. Now if I need to shoot any further than 100-150+ yards, the S&W 15/22 or the Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical usually gets broken out. And if I need to be Elmer Fudd quiet, I'll just screw on a suppressor. Just as quiet as an air rifle, more effective than slugs, and costs a hell of a lot less to shoot than slugs.

Now don't get me wrong. I think it is really cool that people are exploring the upper limits of what can be done with air rifles using slugs. And to each their own. But until the cost of slugs drops below 22lr costs, I'll stick with my pellet/22lr combo. But that's just me. 😉

Newbie here, but I have to agree with LLeon...

ive watched countless hours of some of these guys putting in a lot of work, study etc. but as a new pellet shooter...I can only take my hat off to them for sharing nearly 100% of their learned information with all of us. I guarantee, I made my first 63 yard shot on a very small sparrow a few days ago, and if it wasn’t for their knowledge sharing, rather it be for slugs or pellets, I wouldn’t have even thought about it. Needless to say, I may try to reach out there when the time comes, but for now, I sit back and soak in as much knowledge as possible and will continue with pellets. However, in the future if the opportunity presents itself to make the shift to slugs, I don’t think I would ever just leave pellets in the dust....

I dont think the pellets have had their day , I shoot the .22 JSB RD's 25's out to 100 and they are damn accurate , The 34 are really coming on too . Yes there is a place for sure for slugs and I totally get that but at the moment pellets work so well .... In the UK there is not much talk of slugs , we watch avidly the guys using them all over the World on You Tube but not many people are making a fuss about them as yet . I have just written an article about them for Airgun Shooter magazine so maybe they might get people taking , I bought some slugs from D-Rig and I must say they tuned up looking brilliant , they are super consistent for sure but its a work in progress for my gun . I hope they do work because I want to write more about them . I think as people are saying , out to 100 yard the mighty pellet does the job handsomely , beyond that ... Slug territory all the way . At the end of the day , as long as I am shooting I dont care .... I just want to be out with an Air gun as much as poss 👍

Rog