The low down 177 Caliber

I been looking for a Prophet standard 177 caliber barrel kit, I have tried to get hold of RTI with no luck...

And pretty well all the dealers I spoke to said more or less the 177 caliber is on the bottom of everyone's list and just not a poplar caliber,,, I will keep trying to get hold of RTI as to me I shoot more 177 caliber than all the rest, I get a lot of shots, pellets are cheap, and my range is only 49 yards..

I know there is few 177 shooters on here...

Mike

Airguns these days are all about pushing the envelope and spending big bucks to get the power of a measley .22LR. 

Personally, if that's your thing, you kinda missed the whole point of airguns in the first place. 

The .177 is my most used caliber and I mainly hunt. It's very versatile with the pellets and guns we have available today. 

I see a .177 barrel at RTI but it must be the wrong length?

https://www.rtiarms.shop/collections/barrels-1/products/lw-barrels-made-for-rti-arms

Screenshot

Untitled.1637320916.jpg

While it definitely has its fans in the U.S., .177 cal is likely the most popular where airguns have power restrictions due to a Country's legal requirements, or in competitions where maximum FPE is limited.

One always read about the 'rainbow trajectory' of the .22 in airguns (especially for longer shots), but the laser straight flight path of the .177 pellet. Yes, that might be the case where guns are restricted to lower power, but not in the U.S. or other non-restricted markets. So in these markets one can get the hitting power of the .22, as well as the wider diversity of pellet weights and shapes, while still getting the laser trajectory due to the gun's available power.

So while .177 will always have its place in non-power restricted markets, I believe that it will always be in a subordinate position to .22 in such markets.

And yeah, my large, older hands also don't handle .177 pellets as easy as they handle pellets of larger sizes.

I myself have come full circle .

Started out in 177 and over the years took the trip down the rabbit hole of going larger bore , 22 , 25 etc... 

As stated they all have there place , we are Very lucky to have no limits on power here in the US so we can pretty much do what we want , for now anyway....

As of late i have found myself going back to the 177 platform, i would say probably 80% of my guns are now in 177 . I have come to appreciate the challenges the small caliber presents . If i am being completely honest doing so has improved my overall shooting . I pay much more attention to hold, breathing, trigger pull and so on . 

My only complaint is my " beat up club " hands have a difficult time with the 177 pellets as well , fortunately there are speed loaders ....still gotta load those but seem to be a little easier to deal with.

The .177 is where it all started. Many European rifles were designed around it, and at the 12 fpe level. I think the lower power should be more popular. It's sufficiently powerful for what most of us do, and the rifles are much more air efficient at that level, as they were designed. My goal is to get a good 12 fpe PCP rifle, maybe my next purchase.

Airguns these days are all about pushing the envelope and spending big bucks to get the power of a measley .22LR. 

Personally, if that's your thing, you kinda missed the whole point of airguns in the first place. 

The .177 is my most used caliber and I mainly hunt. It's very versatile with the pellets and guns we have available today.

Couldn't agree more. They all have their place and I enjoy each, but I feel drawn to the smaller calibers more and more. I do agree they are harder to handle and the skirts are more fragile. I REALLY wish there were more pellet choices in .20.

While the industry are meeting up with the demand to push the gear to be more powerful and accurate at further ranges, there is a joy to be limited.

In the late 70s I had BSA Meteor in .177cal. If I hit a small matchbox at 20yards it was darn an good shot. Today we expect clovertight groups at 100yards or otherwise no good.

After been shooting all kinds of guns from 17Rem, all the Weatherbys, english big game doubles etc etc..I enjoy my Diana 45 or Daystate Revere in .177cal for backyard safaries and plinking. Low noise, cheap in ammo and just as much fun as a .577 express double.

If I had the need for a .30cal Airgun I would much rather buy a fully cased Rookrifle in .295cal from one of the better London gunmakers. Much more stylish.

The .177 is my go to caliber, flexibility, vast array of designs and weights. I've got .22 and .25 but the .177 is my go to caliber. My ultimate .177 is a modded Hubek K1 to .177. It's very flexible from a modest barn safe 400fps to a fire breathing monster. I've yet to establish the upper limits of it's capability. It'll sling a JBS 16.2gr super sonic with the reg set at 100bar with 21 clicks on the power adjustment wheel.

\

Thanks Mike Hunt

Strange the 177 kit is 20 inch barrel, My Prophet 25 has a 24 inch barrel, 

I went ahead and ordered it and ask them to make sure it is the right barrel...

The Compact is 16 inch barrel, So I am pretty sure I got the right one....

Mike

I have the Prophet in 177. The 20” barrel is correct. The nice thing is it leaves plenty of space in the shroud to quiet it down. Also, it is boring accurate out to 30 yards with JSB 10.34. I’m shooting at 120 bar at 930 FPS. I haven’t been able to shoot it out past 30 yet but curious to see what it can do.