The Lone Airgunner EP143 A rare find!

Well, after two years of searching, outdated listings, a day late & a dollar short & greased grapevines, I finally found the .22cal version of the 2016 limited edition Crosman GuideHawk NP. It came from a pawn shop in Lincoln, Nebraska. But all that glitters is not gold...find out why by watching this video. I already own the only other version of this rifle. The .177cal version I found a couple years ago NOS vs this used .22cal version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fWW0_E8msc

Well sorry to hear you were bamboozled on that rifle, I hope you have some sort of recourse with the seller. Nothing quite like cocking the rifle the first time only to find it was already cocked and likely sitting around the shop for who knows how long and then shipped that way to you.

Perhaps a simple critique and suggestions of the thread and video.

First I would suggest using a better title to the thread as I would imagine no one here knows what an EP143 is and if there are some that do then I would guess they are far and few between which wouldn't help much in garnering thread/video views and discussions. Perhaps something like Crosman Guide Hawk, a Lone Airgunners rare find! or something along those lines.

Secondly as JMcC has already stated, watching you struggle with trying to unbox/unwrap this find for over five minutes all the while listening to you essentially cussing and complaining about it does not make for...Must See TV....to coin a phrase. Making this a large part of your video would not seem very fruitful towards garnering discussion in your threads or video comments. I am sure there are some simple and free or very low cost video editing programs out there that you can use to remove these unnecessary portions from your video and instead only briefly mention you difficulty with the unpacking or that it would be helpful for people to use a non transparent packing tape or what have you.

Lastly I have always thought you have something interesting to say in your videos but the problem is I can rarely hear you say it! Whatever device you are using to record your videos does not seem to have a good microphone that's very good at picking up your voice from the distance you are recording yourself from. Perhaps consider investing in an external microphone or remote mic you can clip on your shirt collar if your camera has the ability to use one. Or at least try speaking up a little more so it carry's better to the microphone. At around the 8:05 mark it sounded like a fan near your video camera started up making it even more difficult you hear you.

Perhaps a final thought, consider doing your unboxing and a brief look at your rifle off video while jotting down some simple talking points or print it out and have it within sight off camera that you can take a quick look at to aid you in staying on topic when you start your recording session. There have been times in your previous videos where you would sometimes drift off topic and start talking about something unrelated.

Was there a particular reason why you were looking for this rifle in .22cal when you already had it in .177??? I don't believe it was mentioned in the video.

Chachoze

Mainly because I enjoy collecting air rifles as well as shooting, hunting, etc. The two different calibers of the GuideHawk & Genesis NP's, .177 & .22 were the only versions available for either rifle. The 2016 limited edition GuideHawk NP looks just like the Genesis outwardly. And I think now early 2017 for Crosman to use up the extra parts. but they did design a new stock for what they decided to call Genesis, then GuideHawk. Along with their respective logos.

And the Canon Power Shot XL500 IS has no external mic connection. And no volume adjustment. It's a still camera that does HD video with separate stereo sound files & costs $500 new in 2012. I got it used for 70 bucks.

IMG_0169.1601834595.JPG

And dang me if I always forget to turn off the A/C unit which is a lot louder on camera than it is to me. It's in the window behind where the camera/tripod usually goes. Sorry about that. And some folks like unboxing videos, but I guess I'll have to quit doing that too? I've been trying to be less of a grouchy old man, but so much for that thought? I try to update my stile a bit now & then, but I guess it's time to change again? Some always complain how it's my fault they don't like the videos? I can see the simple stuff. I get it. Really. But...maybe non-shooting & hunting video just isn't any good anymore? It's as if no one cares about how to fix, restore, restomod or whatever Break barrel springers or gas rams anymore? I'm partly handicapped and need one more surgery to get out there again, walking any kind of distance to hunt, plink, etc. But that's what folks seem to like most these days? the kill shot. The Coo de Gras. I'm not Kenny Kormandy, so I guess I should quit doing these videos...or the way I do them? I don't know anymore?

And I know you guy's mostly like all the high-end, latest, greatest PCP stuff. So I'm getting the impression I'm out of date and no kind of film maker that the masses enjoy. Kinda like JB Books, The Shootist...maybe I've outlived my time?

You haven’t out lived your time mate. I couldn’t give two hoots about pcp’s. Never looked at a pcp thread, not interested. I throughly enjoy everything springer and in my humble opinion all you need to do is get to the nitty gritty and leave out the stuff chachoze described. I know there are people out there interested in restoring springers you just have to look at some of the threads. If you could review your content and length of video that would be a good start in my opinion. Good luck.

Gary

Reactions: d3vnull
Nice nice rifle! Looks like better condition than my used .22 version. Although it did clean up pretty good. I found an old Kenny Kormandy video on Youtube today that describes the then new Genesis NP .22. So, from what he said in the video, the GuideHawk NP came from the Genesis NP which originally was a renamed Nitro Venom! The Nitro venom which goes back to 2011 is virtually the same as the Genesis & GuideHawk rifles. Except the later two have a barrel shroud rather than just a suppressor on the end. The Nitro Venom .177cal is seen here;

nitrovenom17722.1601929836.JPG

So I then got the Nitro Venom model numbers to cross-reference with the GuideHawk model numbers. I could then go to the Crosman site and found the parts diagrams, lists & manuals there on page 6 of the Crosman rifle lists. I'll put all the info in the video I'm producing now, " A Rare Find GuideHawk PT3". But, even, then, the Crosman site listing said, " Some parts available". So that likely means the odd, important stuff won't be found!? Time will tell. The down side of this could lie in the fact that they were built by BAM in China? As was my 2002 RWS 320M, build #137. But, by looking at the exploded diagrams, they use the same design piston & seal as the Benjamin NPXL's. So that's reassuring to me. I just hope the end of the second part of the cocking/anti-bear trap lever will stay in the piston notch when I put it back in place to then test the whole mess. I'm hoping that'll release the trigger, as it doesn't look like anything is awry?

Here's a pic of both of my GuideHawk's, the .177 and the .22. The .22 has a bit darker wood;

IMG_8305.1601930810.JPG

And the .22 version, both to get the Amish-made buffalo hide sling seen on this one;

IMG_8653.1601930872.JPG

Yes, they will, as they're pretty rare now! I will tell you this. After taking it apart to fix it, it is very Benjamin-like internally. Being descended from the Nitro Venom, It morphed into it's latest form from their experienced with the Benjamin Titan & Trail rifles in my opinion. Since they own Benjamin, I wasn't surprised to find what I did inside. But so much the better for us! They're solid performing rifles. Interesting to note is the .177 model date at the beginning of the serial number is 316X.... The .22 version starts O17X. I guessed the " 3" means March, but the " O" in the .22 date code?