• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Land Of Milk And Honey Is Gone!

Bwalton

Aug 6, 2015
ca
Out of the 8 permissions that our group has 7 of them the well has ran dry
shocked.gif
I am sure that over 1,000 GS has been taken helping the farmers tremendously! Even our bread and butter alfalfa farm due to flash floods, I am afraid that even mother nature has taken her share of them also.
So No more 20 -5- in one sitting, We are now going to turn out attention to the pest birds, yes everyone gets a turn
grin.gif

this is a short video but good quality.

Here in Ohio, groundhogs are the main enemy of our farmers. Years back I had thousands of acres to hunt. Killed hundreds of groundhogs a year and soon they were damn near extinct on a few farmers grounds. One of the farmers was at the local morning coffee shop and was asking my dad if groundhogs could be wiped out by disease? The farmer explained that he couldn't find a groundhog on any of his few thousand acres. My dad explained that they died from a disease called lead by the hands of his son (me)!! He couldn't believe I had killed so many. I took the farmer on a few hunts and made him a believer. Was great to help the farmers and have alot of target rich hunting, but that led to a 5 year span of nothing but coyote hunting as far as varmints. I know how you feel.

Dr Squirrel and I went out to our favorite site this past weekend and saw greatly diminished numbers as well. Combination of the drought, heat and our own applied "pressure" on the population made for scarce encounters. However, it made each successful shot more rewarding, so we still had a great hunt.

One behavior we saw more of during this heat wave is ground squirrels escaping the heat by hanging out up in canopy of the oak trees. Once we started looking up and not just scanning the ground/logs, we had a little more action and a lot more fun!

As luck would have it, a new air gunning friend of mine (and r/c planes, drones, mountain biking, etc.) has graciously allowed me to join him on ground ground squirrel hunts on his 400-acre, target-rich ranch 😄 More permissions are always welcome!