• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The HW80.....just how good is it ?

I just might have the newest .22 one in the states. I have almost one tin through it now. I can't put the dang thing down!
1f601.svg

Any improvement on the twang ?

Doxiedaddy - you have definitely fallen headlong down the rabbit hole as fast as any of the rest of us - we salute you!

Speaking of rabbits, to answer your question, the HW95 is my all-around favorite for hunting small game out to 50 yards. It makes 80% of the power of the HW80 in a considerably trimmer package. And the added power of the HW80 isn't always easy to shoot well. I also don't like how they are finished with a plain stock that doesn't even cover the breech block. It just doesn't feel special and the whole thing just doesn't do it for me. If you want a big, bad magnum springer, I'd probably go for a Diana 54 or 56 instead; otherwise, I'd stick with the HW95 for hunting afield. 

Now having said all that, I do love the old Beeman-branded versions (the Beeman R1). If you can find a classic R1 (.20 or .22 preferred) with a San Rafael, Santa Rosa, or Huntington Beach address and the classic Gary Goudy-designed stock, then I'd buy it and enjoy the original "supermagnum" air rifle. Full disclosure: I am heavily biased on this topic (my screen name is in reference to the [more than one] vintage, .22 R1's in my safe. 

For those unfamiliar with this rifle, here is a very brief history:
Back in the 1970's, Robert Beeman began importing high quality, European spring piston guns (including Weihrauchs) into the US. In the early 80's, he partnered with Weihrauch to create a new high-powered "Super-magnum" spring piston rifle for the US market. This was launched as the Beeman R1. At the time, Beeman had exclusive distribution rights for this rifle in the US, but not in the rest of the world, where it was sold by Weihrauch as the HW80. 
Fast forward to now and many things have changed. In addition to springers like the HW95, PCP's are now everywhere, EASILY making more power than any magnum springer while being way easier to shoot. The result: The HW80 is not very popular anymore and has lost the mystique that the R1 used to have. At least that's how I see it. 

Huntington Beach era Beeman R1, David Slade tuned:

1582948044_8521222035e59decce83831.00386812_R1 Huntington Beech Goudy stock.jpg

I do 95% of my hunting and target shooting with spring guns and have tried almost all of the HW and Air Arms lineup. The hw80 is the only model that I did not like enough to keep. Yes, it is heavy, but so is my hw97k and I love that gun. The issue for me was the harsh shot cycle. At any power level, and I tried everything from 18fpe to 12fpe, I found the hw80 to be more harsh than my other HW spring guns. Even at 12fpe, it was nowhere near as docile or accurate as my hw97k. IMHO, this is a result of the hw80s large 30mm compression chamber. I know it is a legendary springer, but it just didn’t work for me.

R

Here is an older beeman factory tuned R1 in 20 caliber. I would be quite confident with this out to 70 yards on a sitting bunny, if I knew my distance. Out to 50 yards it would be all over, one shot right in the boiler room. This is truly a super magnum Springer. You can’t get this much power without it being heavy, and the heaviness helps dampen the recoil from the power. I have another of these in 17, it is an absolute laser. And one other in 25. I am confident I could sit down On just about any day with any of the three and put five shots underneath a quarter at 50 yards from a rest. It is a big heavy, yes I’m going to say it, manly super magnum. If I were going out to hunt bunnies or squirrels for an afternoon, I would grab it in a second. The trigger is wonderful If I were going for a 5 mile hike, I would leave it at home. Still an awesome super springer. I would definitely buy a used old timer, and look for one that was tuned. 

Mike

1582954266_19147246695e59f71aba1ae9.71913780_62BC5FA1-C4A3-41EF-9E7E-1BCBFE2B62AA.jpeg

I have R1's in .177, .20 and .22 and they all shoot great with OEM parts. Have some fun...learn to shoot one well and find the best pellet and you'll be rewarded with a great gun for life. Mine all shoot 1/3 and sometimes 1/4 inch c.t.c. 5 shot groups at 25 yards if I do my part and also don't pick a screwball pellet out of the tin. They're not the most pleasant gun to shoot but they do what they were designed to do very well . My .22 is probably my most consistently accurate R1 and my first choice when a pesky ground squirrel burrows under my buddy's foundation. I will target shoot with them but prefer my sub-12 fpe HW97 for that. A great match for squirrels and rabbits and enough power for body shots at 50 yds.

Doxiedaddy - you have definitely fallen headlong down the rabbit hole as fast as any of the rest of us - we salute you!

Speaking of rabbits, to answer your question, the HW95 is my all-around favorite for hunting small game out to 50 yards. It makes 80% of the power of the HW80 in a considerably trimmer package. And the added power of the HW80 isn't always easy to shoot well. I also don't like how they are finished with a plain stock that doesn't even cover the breech block. It just doesn't feel special and the whole thing just doesn't do it for me. If you want a big, bad magnum springer, I'd probably go for a Diana 54 or 56 instead; otherwise, I'd stick with the HW95 for hunting afield. 

Now having said all that, I do love the old Beeman-branded versions (the Beeman R1). If you can find a classic R1 (.20 or .22 preferred) with a San Rafael, Santa Rosa, or Huntington Beach address and the classic Gary Goudy-designed stock, then I'd buy it and enjoy the original "supermagnum" air rifle. Full disclosure: I am heavily biased on this topic (my screen name is in reference to the [more than one] vintage, .22 R1's in my safe. 

For those unfamiliar with this rifle, here is a very brief history:
Back in the 1970's, Robert Beeman began importing high quality, European spring piston guns (including Weihrauchs) into the US. In the early 80's, he partnered with Weihrauch to create a new high-powered "Super-magnum" spring piston rifle for the US market. This was launched as the Beeman R1. At the time, Beeman had exclusive distribution rights for this rifle in the US, but not in the rest of the world, where it was sold by Weihrauch as the HW80. 
Fast forward to now and many things have changed. In addition to springers like the HW95, PCP's are now everywhere, EASILY making more power than any magnum springer while being way easier to shoot. The result: The HW80 is not very popular anymore and has lost the mystique that the R1 used to have. At least that's how I see it. 

Huntington Beach era Beeman R1, David Slade tuned:

1582948044_8521222035e59decce83831.00386812_R1 Huntington Beech Goudy stock.jpg

Great reply...good,useful information in your words Sir 👍

GoldenStateAIRGUNner, it is not really a musical sounding twang. More like a short cycle bzzztt sound with accompanied felt vibration. You guys know what I mean. After cleaning the rifle I had all four screws tightened properly, no locktite applied. All four loosened up in the first 100 shots and my offhand groups opened up. Enough of that nonsense. I have been down the blue and red locktite road on the 34's with limited success. All four screws got my "special process" JB weld epoxy under the cap treatment and remain tight. Back to nickle size or less off hand 35 yard groups. Never put it on the bench for scope sight in or accuracy testing, probably will not. No need, it loves the HN 5.54 FTT's. Glad for that as I have 40 tins in the house!

(Shhhhh....I sneaked a well hidden little aluminum plate out to 75 yards on the newly acquired town property.) Was hitting it pretty regular offhand yesterday. That 80 gets pellets out there quicker than the 34's do. By how much fps? That Vortex 4-12x is a perfect match on the 80. 

I will finish up the first tin today and get into the second one. If still buzzing after it's gone I will get the Vortek spring with the supplied grease and Vortek seal installed. And up from there if needed with the suggestions from the 80 users in my other thread.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Doxiedaddy. Just one guys opinion on " just how good is it ?" no wait....how good it is!

I'll say this about the HW80 / R1 - it absolutely does benefit from a good tune, especially if you don't get caught up chasing Chrony numbers.

In .22, a well-tuned gun can achieve 20+ fpe, but 18-19 is the sweet spot IMHO. Numbers aside, getting rid of the factory buzz and twang do make a big difference in the shooting experience.

Here is an older beeman factory tuned R1 in 20 caliber.

Flintsack, is that a Laser emblem I spy?

Thank you all for the great replies. I never imagined just how much I would enjoy these air rifles. Being able to shoot almost anywhere at anytime and cheaply really is the best thing about them to me 👌

I couldn't have put it better myself. I firmly believe that most people (Americans) don't care about airguns because their only experience with them was a BB gun or some cheaply made, oversprung pellet blaster. And no matter how much somebody may enjoy their powderburners, you can't just decide to shoot 50 rounds in the basement at 10pm in your PJ's with one. It's a darn shame they don't know what they're missing. 

Glad to have you on the forum!

GoldenStateAIRGUNner, it is not really a musical sounding twang. More like a short cycle bzzztt sound with accompanied felt vibration. You guys know what I mean. After cleaning the rifle I had all four screws tightened properly, no locktite applied. All four loosened up in the first 100 shots and my offhand groups opened up. Enough of that nonsense. I have been down the blue and red locktite road on the 34's with limited success. All four screws got my "special process" JB weld epoxy under the cap treatment and remain tight. Back to nickle size or less off hand 35 yard groups. Never put it on the bench for scope sight in or accuracy testing, probably will not. No need, it loves the HN 5.54 FTT's. Glad for that as I have 40 tins in the house!

(Shhhhh....I sneaked a well hidden little aluminum plate out to 75 yards on the newly acquired town property.) Was hitting it pretty regular offhand yesterday. That 80 gets pellets out there quicker than the 34's do. By how much fps? That Vortex 4-12x is a perfect match on the 80. 

I will finish up the first tin today and get into the second one. If still buzzing after it's gone I will get the Vortek spring with the supplied grease and Vortek seal installed. And up from there if needed with the suggestions from the 80 users in my other thread.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Doxiedaddy. Just one guys opinion on " just how good is it ?" no wait....how good it is!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the HW rifles use those star lock washers ?

I'm a big fan of the R1 and definitely prefer it's stock to the 80's with the exposed breech block but essentially they are the same. They have stood the test of time and although having been drastically surpassed and pale in the "Super Magnum" class they are or can be made superb. Tune kits are available up and down the power spectrum but these were never designed for the 12fpe reahlm and many have commented how poorly they perform at that power level. The firing cycle is just too slow and adversely affects accuracy in many cases. I have lube tuned and or added Macarri & Vortek kits with nice results. I prefer .22 cal as .177 often needs a pretty heavy pellet to tame the velocity and get good accuracy but of course every barrel is different. I simply do not like the .20 in any rifle although I have a few .20 R1's because they have come with rare stock variants. There are many variations out there from all 4 popular calibers to carbine and rifle length, higher power Laser versions and about as many stock variations as I have seen in an air rifle although some are quite rare and quite hard to get hold of. 

1583020572_3768771375e5afa1cadd453.22532034_381 Beeman R1 collection- left side .177, LS .22, ...JPG

1583023719_7368069635e5b066766db38.68746058_182 Beeman R1 AW.JPG

Reactions: .20calguy

Can you elaborate on the JB Weld process you referred to ?

Can you elaborate on the JB Weld process you speak of ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the HW rifles use those star lock washers ?

OK...I will correct you. Yes, they do have star washers and flat washers, too. Even the under side of the screw cap is ratcheted to match and engage the star. They still vibrated loose until I "fixed" it. They remain tight after 400 shots and will not loosen until I am ready to loosen them with heat transfer.