The hunt for a stable slug continues xD

Gambler

Feb 20, 2023
Åmot
In my effort to try and find a slug that shoots OK (yeah ive Come to the point that OK has to be good enoug) ive burned through 33, 35, 37and 41gr zans, 33,49gr KO and KO mk2, NSA 43.5gr and some wildmans. That being said, I can get them to group well at 54m, but when I try out to 104m its a shotgun, the speeds are from 950 to 1020 with steps around 5-10fps.
Today i was fed up again and turn down the reg to 100bar and shot some king heavys (i know they shoot good in this M3) and to my supprise i actually shot 10 shots within 5cm at 104m (there was no Wind at all). But when the leaves was slightly moving the shots started to throw off and I was Just thinking this would have been alot more forgiving with slugs. So now I am thinking maybe try 28gr and the new 26.5gr mk2 from zan to see if lighter slugs Will work.
What do you guys think?
M3 700mm tension heavy liner

Reactions: frankie
Whats the twist rate of the liner you are using? I didnt get good results with nsa, javelin, jsb or zan in my .25 or .22. H&N performed great in my .22. I will be getting H&N HP heavies 38 gr and 40 gr. today. I am interested in if they will perform as good in the .25 as they did in my two .22 slug guns since I couldnt get the others to work. I have the 16 twist .25 slug liner not the 18 twist. I dont know how thats going to factor in but it should be a better twist especially as I go up in weight.

Whats the twist rate of the liner you are using? I didnt get good results with nsa, javelin, jsb or zan in my .25 or .22. H&N performed great in my .22. I will be getting H&N HP heavies 38 gr and 40 gr. today. I am interested in if they will perform as good in the .25 as they did in my two .22 slug guns since I couldnt get the others to work. I have the 16 twist .25 slug liner not the 18 twist. I dont know how thats going to factor in but it should be a better twist especially as I go up in weight.
I too, have tried nsa, javelin, JSB, ZAN and just can't get the accuracy that I'm looking for. H&N is the one "more popular" brands that I haven't tried, if you don't mind let me know your results and size .249 or .250. Griffin airguns is kinda local to me and I like supporting local, but just haven't called them yet to see what they suggest.

I too, have tried nsa, javelin, JSB, ZAN and just can't get the accuracy that I'm looking for. H&N is the one "more popular" brands that I haven't tried, if you don't mind let me know your results and size .249 or .250. Griffin airguns is kinda local to me and I like supporting local, but just haven't called them yet to see what they suggest.
I will be posting my results. I did order the .250 because H&N said they cant find any definitive results for the .25 that shows either one performing better in FX liners. If my memory is correct Gerhard also uses .250 in the .25. @ScopeFX did have different results and he went .249. If I dont get results I want I will order a tin of the .249 to try.

Last edited:
I will be posting my results. I did order the .250 because H&N said they cant find any definitive results for the .25 that shows either one performing better in FX liners. If my memory is correct Gerard also uses .250 in the .25. @ScopeFX did have different results and he went .249. If I dont get results I want I will order a tin of the .249 to try.
I’ll try and document my barrel findings. Have some NSA and Javelins on the way. But also ordered up .249 and .250 of the same grain. I had horizontal stringing with the .250.

Reactions: LDP
From my experience so far I do believe its harder to get good results in .25 and .30 cal rifles at least in FX liners. My .22 panthera and .22 impact both went pretty easy.
I believe your correct, because most of the famous YouTube personalities are shooting .22. At first I thought it was just the restrictions in their particular country, but now I think otherwise.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I believe your correct, because most of the famous YouTube personalities are shooting .22. At first I thought it was just the restrictions in their particular country, but now I think otherwise.
Well its partly due to the restrictions but that restriction caused them to focus on perfecting slugs and liners for FX rifles in .22 caliber. .22 just gets more attention because of it. I have watched a few of Gerhard's videos and it looks like thru collaboration with him and H&N that H&N might have the best .25 cal options. I could be totally wrong but it just seems to be the case. I will find out soon enough since I couldnt get anything good from my .25 prior to trying the H&N slugs.

Last edited:
My First m3 30 cal was so easy to tune. it would sling fx Hybrids and zan 54g perfectly . I recently in the last 2 month bought another M3 30cal as I missed my other one so much. And It has been not pleasant to get the result I want. Shoots hybrid decent but not well enough. I've shot Wildman, zan 49,54, 59, patriot 52,56 in both .30 and 301, NSA 54g 49.5. Rifle is also set up with heavy slug liner, slug Power kit, pin probe, huma high power reg. makes awesome power but does not shoot anywhere as good as my first m3. and it is built exactly the same

My First m3 30 cal was so easy to tune. it would sling fx Hybrids and zan 54g perfectly . I recently in the last 2 month bought another M3 30cal as I missed my other one so much. And It has been not pleasant to get the result I want. Shoots hybrid decent but not well enough. I've shot Wildman, zan 49,54, 59, patriot 52,56 in both .30 and 301, NSA 54g 49.5. Rifle is also set up with heavy slug liner, slug Power kit, pin probe, huma high power reg. makes awesome power but does not shoot anywhere as good as my first m3. and it is built exactly the same
Liner lottery.

The H&N .250 heavy hp 38 and 40 gr. slugs showed up today. It was nice and warm and not too windy when I got home from work so I grabbed everything to start testing. The quick answer: The H&N slugs did not disappoint and did just as good as the .22 H&N slugs. I had the impact tune finished by the third group. It ended up at 985 fps avg.

I started with NSA slugs. I had the 36 gr. For what ever reason they didnt even stay on paper. I was getting 8" - 10" groups as best I could tell. I was kinda shocked. I then moved onto some JSB knockout mk 2's I had. These did ok with groups about 1". They didnt act like they would tighten up so I moved on to the H&N slugs. I started with the 38 gr. tin. First group was .700 ish with gap between the pellets so a loose group. I dropped the macro wheel 2 numbers. Next group had 4 slugs in a .4 - .5 group and one flyer opening it back up to around that .700 size. I left the macro and micro wheel alone because I recognized this type of group from my .22 cal testing. With the .22 once the groups produced tight 4 shots and a flyer the macro and micro didnt tighten the groups any farther. Once it hit that point closing the valve adjuster removed the flyers. So I turned the valve adjustment in about half a turn and shot a group. I got a very tight 6 shot group @ 985 fps. I added the tune to my ballistics app and ranged my far spinner. Its currently 86 yds from the shooting bench. I dialed the drop I got from my range finder and shot the spinner. The drop was dead on and it hit exactly where my poa was. Just like the .22 slug tunes with H&N it was a very quick no drama tuning session with the .25 H&N.

Pic of the 6 shot group. This was at 53 yds. You can see the group I referenced with the flyer just below and to the right of the group im pointing at.
IMG_5992.jpeg