• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

The history of FT rules?

How about we hold GPs that require everyone to shoot each of the 3 classes?

Could allow buckets and sticks in every class.

Open would be truly unlimited…,wftf would be unlimited at 12 fpe….and Hunter would be no coats and 16x scopes.

That would be a really good way to see who the best shooters are.

Mike

How about we hold GPs that require everyone to shoot each of the 3 classes?

Could allow buckets and sticks in every class.

Open would be truly unlimited…,wftf would be unlimited at 12 fpe….and Hunter would be no coats and 16x scopes.

That would be a really good way to see who the best shooters are.

Mike
How many matches would the competitors have to shoot in each class? 1- 2 - 3 ?
Sounds good at first glance.. let's explore

Wayne

Why do folks that have never played the game as it is played want to change the rules? You can range find with your scope, more accurate than your range finder anyway, and try a UN attached biped. You'll have a blast, if you just give FT a chance. Offered respectfully
Not trying to change the rules… But am hoping to attend a match come November…

Reactions: SteveV
As a side benefit, it would put an end to all the speculation about which shooting aids make the most difference. Hell, just say no coats too since there will be a bunch of guys that don’t have them.
Mike,
I'm liking it the more I think about it.

The best way to test it is to test it...

Let's figure out the rules and I'll host a match this fall.. say Nov at my ranch in Ashland.

Would you come?
Let's figure it out and try it before the season is over, then we might promote it for next season and see if we could get a GP of clubs going.

Wayne

I am noting that Most posting in these conversations are indeed KNOWN shooters in the game and some have achievement credentials to validate there contributions being sound based on years of actually FT competition.

I really don't see why the pushback from some still exists .... Most WANT TO GROW this sport. This Winning or Getting overall high score bragging rights is a Smoke Show presented by some being the reason we are shooting the FT game ... Huh ?
Sure we would like to do well, but reality is you need to be a better marksman than the other guy ... on the same day ... on the same course !!
What tools your afforded to use is a By Class Issue only ..... YOU STILL HAVE TOO BEAT THE COURSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL best you can.

If there is a class where higher scores are being shot ? .. So what !! If thats your class and not doing well, then work at your game within class rules.
Every other class weighs them self similar .... Not everyone gets to be THE Dog;) but even then most are happy to be just part of the pack and have fun with like minded buddies.
If a class is found too easy, change class, Too hard, change class ..... REALLY THAT SIMPLE.

Last edited:
I guess I really don’t get the whole beat the course BS. You win matches by beating the other competitors.
Semantics Mike ...
You are one against the course, as are others.
You get on top by besting others in knocking down more targets.

Who will or who won't is the game and with that you can give it any name or reason for you wish.
Again your missing the point of getting more folks shooting by Continuing the smoke show it's only about winning and beating others.

The board members of my range are discussing my proposal to cut two lanes in a part of the grounds that is not in the line of fire and be safe to practice FT though i suppose i could put 15 targets in each lane and shoot each twice ? 😊

my hope is to attract others (closest "others" are within a 2 hour drive)

It’s a guarantee that none of these threads will ever get anyone new into the game. You guys have at it, though.

Mike
It wasn't you Mike, but it happened in the last day or two in one of these similar-topic ft discussions.....

Being dismissive to the one guy that piped up and said he's never shot ft but would like to isn't helpful to getting the new guys interested.

I've been at it 4 or 5 years so I'm not referring to myself, but if the goal is "growing the sport" we oughta be giving our undivided attention to the guys willing to stick their necks out by jumping in this midst of this conversation and saying they're interested but have never competed before. (On a different, but relevant note, go check out the definition of the word "compete", it is........enlightening, when considering the last couple comments).

Perhaps more attention should be made to draw new shooters to a match rather than any rules changes or new classes. Perhaps clubs offer a loaner gun and free admission to a shooter that attends his first match? Does your FT club have a Facebook group page to easily find info? Perhaps hang flyers at local outdoor stores/ gun shops etc. In my opinion Field Target will always be a niche sport so all this talk of rules changing and new classes is just a waste of time.

I see nothing wrong with the rules as they are now...perhaps that's more of what this thread is about?

Kdog hit the nail(s) squarely on the head!

I've been beating the shooting and airgun bushes for decades to bring folks into shooting, airgunning, silhouette, and field target. Often it felt more like beating my head against the wall as potential victims made excuses not to compete; a sure sign of competition anxiety (fear of being embarrassed). Didn't take long to realize it's a waste of time to continue trying to recruit those individuals.

And although my recruiting success rate at times seemed abysmal, in retrospect I realize I've brought some dozens into airgunning and/or shooting competitions. Sometimes describing myself as an airgun ambassador, I am well aware I'd be a much better ambassador if I wasn't such an as_-h___!

Unfortunately, you can't make tiger change its stripes.🐅🐆