• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

The history of FT rules?

I've been curious about FT since trying to find air gun ranges in the PNW area and seeing the Airgun Oregon web site. Wandering into this thread was like reading about someone that took too much acid and merged Twister with the Hokey Pokey. I read the AAFTA rule pdf which was somewhat helpful cuz it's not discussing the history of logistical changes, just the current facts, ma'am. I think for now I'll spend time at the local range with 10m match since it's simpler, just point and shoot. Though, the idea of wandering around the woods shooting targets down does sound appealing and of course, takes this to the next level beyond shooting paper and cans in the backyard. I've been thinking a trip down to Ashland for some training might help with wrapping my head around the nuances of FT.
The game is a lot like 3d archery shoots if you are familiar with them. Don't try to learn anything from this thread at this point. Folks on the forum here will argue endlessly about nuances that don't really matter. There are a few who know each other in real life, and jokes and insults my not be understood behind screen names. Go to a shoot, call ahead and ask if you can borrow a rifle. It is way easier to try and learn the game if the scope and gun are dialed in with a complete range card. If you take your rifle without data, you will be able to count on fingers how many targets you hit that first match.

Reactions: Podna and shausen
Thanks everyone. I didn't take what I read too seriously, I recognized that it was for people that already knew what was what. I'm going to contact the people in Oregon. Sounds like it would be worth the drive. I'll check out what's shaking in California as well, since I have friends in LA and in Petaluma I could go visit.
partial hooked

Reactions: shausen
Not to derail this thread further, but I did want to share with shausen that there are indoor Field Target matches being held at the Capitol City Rifle and Pistol range in Olympia. You can check their calendar for the next match. They also do indoor benchrest. If your interested, you can PM me and I can pass along the contact info. I drive up from Portland to attend and always have a great time. During the summer, the Tacoma range hosts Field Target and benchrest on their sweet airgun range. AND Clarke Rifles in Brush Prarie has matches through the summer months.

Reactions: shausen
For S&G’s I shot our last match in Hunter class but without sticks, bag or a dope chart. I figured thats about as close to hunting with that rifle as I can get and close to the original FT ruleset. I was loosely testing two things, my memory ( laughable) and how much the sticks offset the other rules. Getting older doesn't help the first bit and numbers are hard anyway. The second part is where it got interesting. Using only a sling and off knee ranging was flat out brutal. If the kz’s were larger ranging would have been less of an issue or if I rabged using sticks and then removed them for the shot. 14x also proved to be a better mag level than 16x, at least for me and the artificial rules i self imposed. But the shooting part was not that bad, certainly a challenge but not impossible with a modified hasty sling. I actually really enjoyed it and plan on practicing that way because it reinforced and exaggerated every fundamentals flaw i have and reminds me about what we take for granted and how some fundamentals flaws can be overshadowed, not noticed or compensated for. It also reinforces what an old instructor taught me as a kid, don’t try to hold the rifle still. Be still and the rifle will follow. Scores be dammed, if i was hunting it would have been a nice cull but this is FT and kz’s matter. I consider a 25% hit rate acceptable given the parameters I modified. I think I have a much better understanding and appreciation for the rulesets and why they are the way they are. 3/8” is small enough to begin with, add the pulse bounce with a hold over and its really small. But with sticks its very shootable with the Hunter ruleset and no doubt a knee riser and a proper scope etc would make it shootable in other classes. Not really easier on either count, just more shootable. Hope that makes sense. Overall i really liked the challenge. Despite having a low hit rate, removing some assistance like sticks showed many of my weaknesses and strengths too. Most importantly though, it exemplified the rulesets and illustrated the different classes’ needs to keep things competitive but also enjoyable. FT is humbling and hard enough as is. I can now better imagine not only how it started and where it went over the years but where the current discussions are rooted. So a major thank you to all who were instrumental in making the FT rules. While some may gripe and whine, ( guilty!) at the end of the day theres a now ton more appreciation from my perspective for what’s been done to make FT what it is today.

For S&G’s I shot our last match in Hunter class but without sticks, bag or a dope chart. I figured thats about as close to hunting with that rifle as I can get and close to the original FT ruleset. I was loosely testing two things, my memory ( laughable) and how much the sticks offset the other rules. Getting older doesn't help the first bit and numbers are hard anyway. The second part is where it got interesting. Using only a sling and off knee ranging was flat out brutal. If the kz’s were larger ranging would have been less of an issue or if I rabged using sticks and then removed them for the shot. 14x also proved to be a better mag level than 16x, at least for me and the artificial rules i self imposed. But the shooting part was not that bad, certainly a challenge but not impossible with a modified hasty sling. I actually really enjoyed it and plan on practicing that way because it reinforced and exaggerated every fundamentals flaw i have and reminds me about what we take for granted and how some fundamentals flaws can be overshadowed, not noticed or compensated for. It also reinforces what an old instructor taught me as a kid, don’t try to hold the rifle still. Be still and the rifle will follow. Scores be dammed, if i was hunting it would have been a nice cull but this is FT and kz’s matter. I consider a 25% hit rate acceptable given the parameters I modified. I think I have a much better understanding and appreciation for the rulesets and why they are the way they are. 3/8” is small enough to begin with, add the pulse bounce with a hold over and its really small. But with sticks its very shootable with the Hunter ruleset and no doubt a knee riser and a proper scope etc would make it shootable in other classes. Not really easier on either count, just more shootable. Hope that makes sense. Overall i really liked the challenge. Despite having a low hit rate, removing some assistance like sticks showed many of my weaknesses and strengths too. Most importantly though, it exemplified the rulesets and illustrated the different classes’ needs to keep things competitive but also enjoyable. FT is humbling and hard enough as is. I can now better imagine not only how it started and where it went over the years but where the current discussions are rooted. So a major thank you to all who were instrumental in making the FT rules. While some may gripe and whine, ( guilty!) at the end of the day theres a now ton more appreciation from my perspective for what’s been done to make FT what it is today.
Thank you this was informative for me . and i like the no aids shooting trial . Wonder how many of the top shooters would do in a match / no aids just a sling ?

For S&G’s I shot our last match in Hunter class but without sticks, bag or a dope chart.
After and idea put forward by Scott H., I shot a match with no sticks, 16X scope, no range finding of any kind except by eye and nothing that was banned in any class. I did not use a sling either. Just for fun, I shot it with a TX200 that I seldom use. It was a sixty shot match on sixty targets and I lost at least a half dozen points to a faulty trigger that started shooting when I took the safety off. I adjusted it until it worked, but lost a few lanes in the process. (3 shots per lane). I ended up with 35/60 and had a great time. Older, I have covered at 73 and figured I would have hit about 60% if the trigger had not sabotaged me.

Will try to get a couple of others to give it a try this winter in our fun matches. I do not submit my score at my home club matches anyway, so it frees me up to try things and just have fun.

Tim

Thanks everyone. I didn't take what I read too seriously, I recognized that it was for people that already knew what was what. I'm going to contact the people in Oregon. Sounds like it would be worth the drive. I'll check out what's shaking in California as well, since I have friends in LA and in Petaluma I could go visit.
Yes, come on down while the weather is still pretty nice. We have a dry place to camp out if you want to have a weekend of getting to know the game. We have a lot of equipment to try out... Just bring yourself... and a friend hopefully:) so email me

[email protected]

"I'm going to contact the people in Oregon. I'll check out what's shaking in California as well".

And people on this forum are advising not to try to learn anything on A FORUM!:ROFLMAO:

"Wonder how many of the top shooters would do in a match / no aids just a sling ?"

I've shot Hunter Class rifle FT matches with a 1960s vintage Sheridan multi-pump rifle equipped with a 1960s vintage 3-6X scope, and finished in the top 50% of the Hunter rifle field.

RR Sher BS.JPG

Suffice to say a non-AO, 3/4" tube, 3-6X scope doesn't rangefind AT ALL. But it was quite LIBERATING to eyeball a target🤔 and think, "Looks like about seven pumps to me." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I blew a mind or two that day🤯; including a(nother) well-known airgun author who wrote about it.

Last edited:
"I'm going to contact the people in Oregon. I'll check out what's shaking in California as well".

And people on this forum are advising not to try to learn anything on A FORUM!:ROFLMAO:
I have never heard anyone say that. I have heard many say that new rule discussions on forums seldom lead to anything productive. There definitely is a lot to learn.

Tim

Reactions: Centercut
"I have never heard anyone say that."

I haven't either TJ, but you can read it in one post on this page and another on page 5 of this thread.

You know me; I took it as an opportunity to poke fun at our Left Coast airgun buddies. BTW- it was a good-natured poke for humor's sake only. I see at least one took it that way. Since he knows me, he also knows to "consider the source". 😂

The game is a lot like 3d archery shoots if you are familiar with them. Don't try to learn anything from this thread at this point. Folks on the forum here will argue endlessly about nuances that don't really matter. There are a few who know each other in real life, and jokes and insults my not be understood behind screen names. Go to a shoot, call ahead and ask if you can borrow a rifle. It is way easier to try and learn the game if the scope and gun are dialed in with a complete range card. If you take your rifle without data, you will be able to count on fingers how many targets you hit that first match.
I am bitterly insulted by this post. You know I can't count on my fingers, that's what sandals are for.

And a reminder, Cliff (and Ron, if you are reading), the Arlington shoot is this coming Saturday due to Thanksgiving. So you can come out there and insult me face to face. Or face to collar bone, since I'm a good bit taller than you.

Reactions: Podna