The heaviest slugs (or pellets), by calibre

I'm interested in what the heaviest slug (or pellet) is, primarily for 0.22 and 0.30 cal. They need to be 11mm in length or shorter to be useful to me.

Generally I find I can get slugs that are heavier than pellets for a given calibre and length, presumably because pellets need to have skirts. 

The heaviest slugs I've found are the NSA slugs, in 0.22 their 35 grain slugs. Javelin has a close 34 grain slug. In principle I think you should be able to make 0.22 slugs at 11mm length to be closer to 42-44 grain, if you have no hollowing-out of the tip, but I don't see anything like that available. 

In .30 cal the heaviest I've found so far is the NSA 65.5 grain slugs. In principle you should be able to get these up in the 80-84 grain range, if your goal is punching holes and not hunting. Not certain how much weight you need to trim off a slug to get reasonable aerodynamics. 

Yes, yes, I'm aware of the laws of diminishing returns and why one might not want to get too close to the theoretical limits. I might have to start casting slugs myself, to answer this question. 

Delooper, 

That seems like a good question. Just for comparison, I'm going to make a couple .1775 slugs, flat base, solid and hollowpoint, in 1/2 ogive, 3/4 ogive, and 2S.

If I'd take a guess, they'll start somewhere around 21 grains or so.

I know this can't compare to the larger calibers, but I can't help myself....gotta tinker.

I'll post my results and findings in a couple of hours. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Delooper, 

I didn't get a chance to make more than one, but within the 11mm length, I can get a 2S nose, which is a hollowpoint, and flat base, around 26.54 grains. If it was a solidpoint, a little higher. If I would've used a 3/4, or 1/2 ogive, particularly with a solidpoint, I'm sure it would approach 30 grains.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com