• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning The Heat's messing with my springers.

Negative. Some are made for close range readings, like this one. Adjustable emissivity is a must if you want to be really accurate. I’ve used this one for 4-5 years on RC car engines since Kim accidentally washed my old one LOL. Have compared against a contact probe, very favorable results.

I wouldn't recommend spending $140 for a tool that still isn't quite right for the job. The last couple of El Cheapo IR guns I have bought from amazon have adjustable emissivity, but for checking the temperature on a steel gun or black aluminum scope it doesn't really matter.

A little thermography trick for you when dealing with items with poor emissivity: slap a piece of electrical tape on it. Black electrical tape has an emissivity of .96. The stock emissivity reading for most non-adjustable IR guns is .95. I had to go pretty deep on amazon before I found one that didn't have adjustable emissivity, But a digital meat thermometer would probably be a better option for checking the temperature of an air gun or scope.

I tested a range of seals by measuring them at ambient temperature, putting them in a sealed bag and leaving that in the freezer for a while, then re-measuring them. The LGV/LGU seals had the second greatest thermal contraction.

Rather than sizing the seal, I would order a factory HW30 seal, which is the 25mm seal used on the early HW77, which performed best in my test, and is a straight replacement for the Walther seals.
Good to know. I tested the LGV this evening and it's only losing about 20 fps. I can live with that going from room temperature to sitting in the shade at 98 f(reedom) degrees. Figures that the gun that is the easiest in the world to work on doesn't need to be worked on. I will be ordering a couple of HW30 seals, one for the LGV and one for the HW97 (which is 25mm).

My 177 HW95 was having the most erratic heat related POI problems of all my springers. This gun has always been laser for me. I tore it down today and found it was way over lubed with Almagard 3752. I forgot I did that last year trying to remove the hint of twang. The Almagard is a thick sticky red grease that's reported to be the same as Tune in a Tube.

I completely disassembled the rifle, cleaned it all out and went back to my normal MO of minimal amounts of tan Vortek grease. We'll see if the smaller amounts of the lighter grease improve the warm weather performance.

UNCLE! After a lot of experimenting. I give up. Once temps reach 95f I can't keep near same POI as 75f. I've played with guns with the same kits and piston seals and gotten different results. I think the difference in performance is a combination of piston seal and delrin spring guide expansion. I almost replaced a Hw30 comp tube because the power was way below the two othe 30s I own. After swapping out the kit, piston and seal the power drop followed the guts of the gun with the suspect tube. Oddly the kit has a full coil more than the others that makes more power in both guns.

The lower power kit with the stiffer spring has had three different piston seal types. None made more power than the Vortek, but no matter what seal used they still made less power than the other two kits with less spring. Tomorrow I chop a coil off to match the others and see if its possible to make more power with less coils. If that don't work I'll sand down the inner guide for less drag.

This stuff gets crazy sometimes

Mycapt did you have this poi shift at your previous address?
Not really, because I didn't shoot outdoors when it was 90 degrees plus. The guns would slowly have a slight POI shift when shot for long periods. I'd either adjust the scopes or my POA. Velocities always sank a little as well over long sessions but it was maybe 10-15fps. I assumed that was from piston seal expansion. The groups were unaffected.

Here in this high heat and humidity the POI shift can be inches and the velocity loss can be 30 fps. Worse is the groups open up when the gun gets hot. Something is going whacky inside for it to affect the group size.

Maybe I just shouldn't shoot during the hottest part of the day?

Rotate guns, that’s what I do in this heat. Let one cool down while we shoot another. Be thankful you’re not shooting CO2. Even worse if you can believe it.
It feels so weird to switch out airguns for overheating. I'm very conscious of overheating my powder burners. I have plenty of airguns to rotate through but I don't like subjecting more of them then I have to to the condensation that comes with taking them out of the cooler house.

It feels so weird to switch out airguns for overheating. I'm very conscious of overheating my powder burners. I have plenty of airguns to rotate through but I don't like subjecting more of them then I have to to the condensation that comes with taking them out of the cooler house.
Ron, I have a solution to your problem. Turn the air conditioner off and the guns and you will fully acclimated to the outside temperature. Glad I could help 😂

Reactions: Mycapt65
Yep. I won’t take them out in the AM because humidity Is so high even the wood sweats. If I do I take the action out and wipe down. Less humidity in the heat of the day. Actually getting ready to go sit under my EZ Up with my swamp cooler running and shoot a little. All you can do.

This is how we survive it.

20230813_150842_resized.jpeg

Not really, because I didn't shoot outdoors when it was 90 degrees plus. The guns would slowly have a slight POI shift when shot for long periods. I'd either adjust the scopes or my POA. Velocities always sank a little as well over long sessions but it was maybe 10-15fps. I assumed that was from piston seal expansion. The groups were unaffected.

Here in this high heat and humidity the POI shift can be inches and the velocity loss can be 30 fps. Worse is the groups open up when the gun gets hot. Something is going whacky inside for it to affect the group size.

Maybe I just shouldn't shoot during the hottest part of the day?
Thanks for the reply. We moved to a little fishing village 2 years ago. We lived west of Gympie and in the summer the temperature would often pass 40 degrees Celsius which I believe is around 104 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat was a dry heat most of the time and only one of my 4 springers would suffer poi shift, my Benjamin Titan.
I would shoot at anytime of the day in the shade and sometimes I would use a fan. They were kept in the safe in my shed so I suppose they were acclimatised. My other three were on the money most of the time, but in winter I’d swear there were safe gremlins in action.
There is a range 5 minutes from where we live now and I don’t shoot as much as I used to but there doesn’t seem to be much scope adjustment required now, maybe something to do with living at sea level idk.
Gary

Last edited:
Ron, I have a solution to your problem. Turn the air conditioner off and the guns and you will fully acclimated to the outside temperature. Glad I could help 😂
Ron I have one giving me fits also, 3 in the same hole at 30 . Try it again in few , if that doesn’t work out it’s back to head scratching 😢

Wow! That top shelf!
I’ve had that particular EZ Up for almost 7 years. Close to 25 years of using EZ Up tents, I highly recommend the Dome. Not much more than a Gamo rifle LOL. The benches I got last year at a ridonkulously low price, right place right time on Midway. Less than a Gamo. They don’t put the swamp coolers on sale generally, just have to bite the bullet. They make outdoors bearable in the heat.

Reactions: Mycapt65