• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

... the ground squirrel might be down under for this one ... 107degF to 112degF

It NEVER gets this hot in Northern Oregon and I wonder what the GS will do. I found several yesterday at 93degF but not as many as I saw the other day.

We have AC in two rooms and garage, 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank with 60deg water, and fans... no problem. Generator just in case power goes wonky, never know.

Pretty sure the Taipan operator will fold first :)

We had a fire on the hill behind our home last October and ground squirrels survived staying down in their burrows...wind kept smoke moving...

Cordial fire Nov 2020.1624723311.jpeg

Mr. JohnnyPDX,

It is very hot here too, I have not seen a ground squirrel for almost 2 months. Even my gopher hunting has crapped out.

Last year about this time we had to evacuate for 6 days for a near by forest fire. We luckily had a days warning that the fire was headed in our direction. We packed up our favorite mementos, important papers and stocked up our truck camper. I hooked up the boat to the truck and filled it full of camping stuff and were ready to leave when the Sherriff Deputy came by.

We found a good spot to park at an elementary school about 15 miles down the hill. The principal was very kind to us and said we were welcome to stay there. Our camper has all the stuff we needed to be comfortable, toilet, hot water, stove, coffee pot, fridge/freezer and generator. We camp in it several times a year and do just fine. I am getting all of our stuff ready to do the evac thing again if necessary.

Woke up the morning we evacuated to see this amount of ash on My wife's car, everything was covered like this, it was very eerie for the sun to be obscured all day. 

100_4792.1624726823.JPG

2002 Lance Camper.1624727254.JPG

We were very lucky, the fire stayed about a half mile away from our place.

helicopter water lift.1624727473.JPG

Getting water from the lake about 300 yards from our property.

DSC00157.1624727585.JPG

There were 5 of these fire fighter helicopters at the old sawmill doing their best to protect everybody and save our forest. The National Guard helicopters rescued stranded campers when the fire blocked the roads. Our friend had a group he took out from the pack station and was able to get his clients and pack animals out of danger by his knowledge of all the alternate trails. The cattlemen used all of their skills and herded all of their cattle to safe grazing meadows away from the fire's path. 

I hope you and yours are all safe, be prepared as well as you can, do what the Sheriffs Deputies advise.

Good luck with your pesting, stay healthy and safe

Arrowhead1951 

Fire is no joke ( me schooled in firefighting and smoke diving )

On Wednesday it being what the English call saint johns evening ( we Danes call it santhans ) it is a tradition with bonfire and mass consumption of alcohol in Denmark.

Well i was sitting in a plastic lawn chair when it collapsed under my drunk ass, and i almost fell backwards into the by then well ember ed 3 X 6 foot fire pit.

Only loss was my frosty beaker of whiskey that did go flying, me i was prepared for that and had set my chair up on enough distance that my head did not even get into the fire ( i was wearing a hoodie as at night it is just 10 deg C here, so you get pretty cold on one side and nice and toasty on the other from the fire.

All in all a good evening, i am sure any of our viking forefathers would have been proud of us, even if we did not take any blood with pellets or cold steel.

We will probably also do it again within a month or so, and so this year i will break routine and be drunk more than 1 time in the year. By next time i will hopefully have my Maverick to play with.

Fire is no joke ( me schooled in firefighting and smoke diving )

On Wednesday it being what the English call saint johns evening ( we Danes call it santhans ) it is a tradition with bonfire and mass consumption of alcohol in Denmark.

Well i was sitting in a plastic lawn chair when it collapsed under my drunk ass, and i almost fell backwards into the by then well ember ed 3 X 6 foot fire pit.

Only loss was my frosty beaker of whiskey that did go flying, me i was prepared for that and had set my chair up on enough distance that my head did not even get into the fire ( i was wearing a hoodie as at night it is just 10 deg C here, so you get pretty cold on one side and nice and toasty on the other from the fire.

All in all a good evening, i am sure any of our viking forefathers would have been proud of us, even if we did not take any blood with pellets or cold steel.

We will probably also do it again within a month or so, and so this year i will break routine and be drunk more than 1 time in the year. By next time i will hopefully have my Maverick to play with.

A great day Santhans, and The Viking lives to prosper and conqueor the Maverick! Plastic chairs are the devil's spawn.

Peace to You