The Grease cup on the GX CS4 is crap.......

DBlue

Dec 14, 2022
USA
I've got 8 hrs on my new CS 4 compressor now....when I got up to 4 hours I turned the grease knob a full turn according to the instructions, I didn't notice any difference in the sound or anything. Today when I hit 8 hrs. I tried to turn it another full turn and it would not make but a half turn and stopped. I removed the grease cup assembly and the rubber washer in the bottom and cleaned out all the grease.....I don't think this factory grease cup actually works as the rubber washer was deformed and blocking the small hole in the bottom where the grease is supposed to go. I got a plastic syringe and put some of the grease in the syringe and installed the dead head on the fill line and turned the compressor on... while the compressor was running I injected some grease in the hole and could hear a difference in the sound of the pump when I shot the grease in. The thing is, GX does not say anywhere how much grease this compressor is supposed to use every four hrs. of use. I gave it a few cc's until I could hear a difference in the sound, as doing it that way I know for certain it got some grease in it as I don't want to rely on that janky grease cup set up as I don't think it works as they say it does....
Has anyone else that uses one of these hear a difference in the pump when turning that grease knob....????

Reactions: Phasor00
here's a couple pics of the compressor......

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

The Omega Turbo Charger has two of the same garbage grease cups and no one seems to know much about it.
I think the CS 4 is made by the same factory as the Omega as they both have a lot of similar parts on them. I actually love this compressor but that grease pot I don't care for. I've tried contacting GX about it with no response....I'm just going to continue using the syringe to add grease when it needs it.

Curious to see what you find out because I’ve been on the fence about getting one of these replace the unbelievably noisy vevor yh clone I’ve been using.
If I find out anything I will post it here for sure but in the meantime, I'm just going to keep greasing it with the syringe....( that just don't sound right)...lol

Something I found when researching this compressor may be of interest. Its explained in the small print below the pics. https://blog.roninsgrips.com/the-cs...grease-to-your-compressor-and-refill-the-pot/
I just read that article....Thanks for posting that.
The real problem with this grease pot is that rubber in the bottom that is supposed to be the grease limiter...it has a very tiny hole in the center of it that is supposed to let the grease through when turning the knob...but, it appears to me that the grease it's self softens that rubber disc and it deforms to where the hole in the bottom of the rubber no longer lines up with the hole in the bottom of the grease chamber where the grease is supposed to go...so, when you turn the knob you will get to the point where the grease is just compressing against the bottom of the chamber and you can longer turn the knob any further and no grease gets into the compressor. Tomorrow I'm going to take that grease pot back out and take some measurements and I'll machine a thin aluminum disc with the same size small hole as the rubber disc and install it and that should fix the problem.....

Reactions: Scott_R_FL
Here is what I did to my CS4....I removed the grease pot and cleaned everything up. I took the grease plunger apart to see how it is made, it's a brass screw held by a clip so it's free to turn, an aluminum disc with an o-ring with a threaded hole in the center and a conical spring to hold pressure against it. I just took the rubber disc and cut a large hole in the center of it and trimmed it to fit in the bottom of the grease pot to act as a gasket to seal the bottom of the plunger housing to prevent any grease from leaking out up through the threads from the bottom of the plunger. To find how many turns there was on the plunger, I screwed it all the way up in the barrel housing and I threaded back in seated tight against the rubber gasket, I put a mark on the knob and counted the full turns until it bottomed out and got 25 full turns on the knob.
I see no need for that full size piece of rubber with the small hole in the bottom that's supposed to be a grease limiter, how can it limit the amount of grease when it swells up and distorts and the hole is no longer aligned. with the hole in the bottom of the grease pot and it's being compressed with grease against a perfectly flat bottom...??? I salvaged what grease I had left and put it back in the plunger, I have 7 turns left on the plunger before I need to refill it with grease. I'm going to order some new grease and refill the plunger and use it like this from now on .....Sorry for the long post......

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

That grease pot with the plunger is approximately 1 inch inside diameter and with the plunger all the way to the top it's 1 inch deep, so, it's holding a 1 inch column of grease. With one full turn of the knob the plunger moves about 1/16th inch or less, the hole in the bottom is about 1/8 th ....so, with the pot full of grease and one full turn of the knob, it's injecting a very small amount of grease with each turn. A mathematician could figure it out on how much grease is used each turn of the knob but that kinda stuff makes my head hurt too bad....:)

Reactions: Wauzoo
From the photos it looks like the rubber piece was supposed to be a gasket and they didn't think about the grease getting between the rubber and the housing, bulging the rubber disc upwards.
I'm sorta thinking that they designed it that way to give the compressor a limited lifespan.....I really do like it but there is very limited info from the factory and what info you can find is very contradicting. I read one set of instructions that said after the initial break in that it was not necessary to grease it anymore...????

That grease pot with the plunger is approximately 1 inch inside diameter and with the plunger all the way to the top it's 1 inch deep, so, it's holding a 1 inch column of grease. With one full turn of the knob the plunger moves about 1/16th inch or less, the hole in the bottom is about 1/8 th ....so, with the pot full of grease and one full turn of the knob, it's injecting a very small amount of grease with each turn. A mathematician could figure it out on how much grease is used each turn of the knob but that kinda stuff makes my head hurt too bad....:)
Sometimes doing the math in metric makes it a whole lot easier. If we didn’t have a baby born 3 days ago I would try, but I’m just trying to keep up with a baby feeding log right now haha