The Grapes of Wrath

My apologies to John Steinbeck…

Gents,

My Brocock Sniper Sahara driven, .177 caliber crusade against my arch nemesis the California ground squirrel rages on, much to the chagrin of the ground squirrels.

I’m sure you’re wondering why the thread title is the same as Steinbeck’s literary masterpiece and might be thinking, “Is this moron going to do a book review in an airgun hunting thread”? Bear with me…

On our little piece of terra firma, we have a grape vineyard…which sits next to my neighbors field…which until my recent declaration of war, was being overrun with ground squirrels. As it turns out, pairing Cabernet Sauvignon with a Bog Pod and a Brocock Sniper leaves that wonderful taste on your palate of dead vermin and shots well placed. In short, the vines make a quite suitable shooting blind, as the below pictures attest.

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

Now some may question my choice of a Cabernet during these hot summer months and opine that a light, fruity Chardonnay would be a better choice, and I might tend to agree, but my Chardonnay vines are 20 yards farther away from my quarry, so a good hearty Cab it is.

The ex-squirrel pictured below was from a couple of days ago and was the fortunate recipient of my first miss with the little Sniper Sahara. Alas, his good fortune ended shortly thereafter courtesy of better steering and 13 grains of JSB’s finest. A careful review of my first miss determined it to having been caused by a sectional density issue, meaning a large section of my brain is uncommonly dense, rendering me not very bright. This in turn resulted in me using the wrong hold over. Distance was 52 yards.

IMG_4169.jpeg

The below two decedents were found to be frolicking about in the field a short while ago as if there were no repercussions for such behavior. Unfortunately for them, there are repercussions, and they chose to frolic at 40 yards, which happens to be the distance the Brocock is sighted in for. Two gentle caresses of the trigger later, and these two were on their way to the great burrow in the sky.

IMG_4185.jpeg

IMG_4186.jpeg

I have quite a few air rifles and enjoy them all, but there is just something about the Brocock Sniper platform that blows my skirt up.

Justin

My apologies to John Steinbeck…

Gents,

My Brocock Sniper Sahara driven, .177 caliber crusade against my arch nemesis the California ground squirrel rages on, much to the chagrin of the ground squirrels.

I’m sure you’re wondering why the thread title is the same as Steinbeck’s literary masterpiece and might be thinking, “Is this moron going to do a book review in an airgun hunting thread”? Bear with me…

On our little piece of terra firma, we have a grape vineyard…which sits next to my neighbors field…which until my recent declaration of war, was being overrun with ground squirrels. As it turns out, pairing Cabernet Sauvignon with a Bog Pod and a Brocock Sniper leaves that wonderful taste on your palate of dead vermin and shots well placed. In short, the vines make a quite suitable shooting blind, as the below pictures attest.

View attachment 382028
View attachment 382035

Now some may question my choice of a Cabernet during these hot summer months and opine that a light, fruity Chardonnay would be a better choice, and I might tend to agree, but my Chardonnay vines are 20 yards farther away from my quarry, so a good hearty Cab it is.

The ex-squirrel pictured below was from a couple of days ago and was the fortunate recipient of my first miss with the little Sniper Sahara. Alas, his good fortune ended shortly thereafter courtesy of better steering and 13 grains of JSB’s finest. A careful review of my first miss determined it to having been caused by a sectional density issue, meaning a large section of my brain is uncommonly dense, rendering me not very bright. This in turn resulted in me using the wrong hold over. Distance was 52 yards.

View attachment 382029

The below two decedents were found to be frolicking about in the field a short while ago as if there were no repercussions for such behavior. Unfortunately for them, there are repercussions, and they chose to frolic at 40 yards, which happens to be the distance the Brocock is sighted in for. Two gentle caresses of the trigger later, and these two were on their way to the great burrow in the sky.

View attachment 382031
View attachment 382032

I have quite a few air rifles and enjoy them all, but there is just something about the Brocock Sniper platform that blows my skirt up.

Justin
Tell us how you really feel…🤓🙀🙈 That’s why I love my BRKs, “in the field” performance, those bastages rarely allow a second shot. So it’s one and done, consistently. Good shooting on those squirrels. I took ten sparrows today with ten shots, Pathfinder XR which is basically a baby Sahara…

Tell us how you really feel…🤓🙀🙈 That’s why I love my BRKs, “in the field” performance, those bastages rarely allow a second shot. So it’s one and done, consistently. Good shooting on those squirrels. I took ten sparrows today with ten shots, Pathfinder XR which is basically a baby Sahara…
Luis,

10 for 10 is some beauty shooting! I hope when I croak I don’t come back as a sparrow and take up residence in your neck of the woods! My Sniper would still be batting a thousand if I weren’t such a mental dwarf…

With all the waxing poetic the two of us do about Brocock, we are sure to cause their stock price to rocket and worldwide demand for their products to go through the roof. Maybe they’ll send us a free t-shirt…

Justin

• Haha
Reactions: SHOMER
There was a gentleman on another forum that reached his apex in owning a daystate, and then several more. Was quite an investment for him and he was astounded by the accuracy, praising them every chance he got.
Not being able to afford such quality, I settled for a Compatto, getting all of daystate's engineering at brocock's price. I liked to remind him of that on a regular basis and having fun with him. Even got to join the daystate owners group forum with him.
A lot of people have forgotten that brocock became the "tacticool" arm of daystate. The guns are just accurate.

Reactions: L.Leon
Teetering on the edge with a Sahara .22 in my cart and an itchy order finger!

This thread might just push me over the edge 🤩

Nice shooting sir!!
Hangtown,

If you have occasion to be in San Luis Obispo county, let me know. You can stop by the pad and shoot the snot out of my two. Might even get a shot at a squirrel!

But I’m quite sure if you went ahead and hit the “Complete Purchase” button on your shopping cart, you won’t regret it.

Justin

Reactions: Hangtown-Shooter
@Zebra13 Way to defend those cab vines. Love how you used the vines as a blind! Brococks shoot very well and are built well too. Good shootin! Looks like an Arken mounted on there. Which model!
Ezana4CE,

It’s not an Arken, it’s a Swamp Fox Kentucky Long 2-12x44 FFP with the MOA reticle. I’m very happy with it.

Justin

We have something in common! I'm also in charge of pest control and we have a vinyard too. In vino veritas!

I use a RAW HM1600, which is very accurate and reliable, and I love the new Leupold

A few formerly problematic souls:

Reactions: AmosBurton