• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Glorious Satisfying “THWACK” Of A .30 Cal.!!

I’m sure this is old news to many of you… but .30 Cal. is a new addition for me in my personal arsenal, and all I can say is WOW!
I would certainly not want to be on the receiving end of one… as a pest, or a rimfire spinner!
I think Im going to need to upgrade to a CF-rated gong plate to withstand sustained punishment? HaHa!

Feel free to show off your .30 and share some details about it if you have one, and I’m certain everyone would love to see the carnage on your reactive targets ect. 🤙

My only contribution for now is a nearly new second hand first generation Uragan, and let me just say I have no buyers remorse!

012DDB4C-B06F-4AD6-9ACA-5150BF658B1D.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure this is old news to many of you… but .30 Cal. is a new addition for me in my personal arsenal, and all I can say is WOW!

When a friend and I first used a .30 on a ground squirrel, we just looked at each other with dropped jaws. Yep..it has that effect on .30 cal virgins..LOL There is a slight difference in resonance for head VS body hits, though.

Most on here won't have a memory like this, but to me, the sound of a .30 hitting a varmint is reminiscent of when my Grandmother hung a small carpet on a clothes-line and gave it a solid hit with a heavy broom. Dust and dirt flying everywhere..ThaWUMPH!!

We don't go ground squirrel hunting anymore..we go "carpet cleaning". ;-)

Target on left is 100yds..the ones in the center are mine. :)

img-R530-x2.png

When a friend and I first used a .30 on a ground squirrel, we just looked at each other with dropped jaws. Yep..it has that effect on .30 cal virgins..LOL There is a slight difference in resonance for head VS body hits, though.

Most on here won't have a memory like this, but to me, the sound of a .30 hitting a varmint is reminiscent of when my Grandmother hung a small carpet on a clothes-line and gave it a solid hit with a heavy broom. Dust and dirt flying everywhere..ThaWUMPH!!

We don't go ground squirrel hunting anymore..we go "carpet cleaning". ;-)

Target on left is 100yds..the ones in the center are mine. :)

View attachment 351402
When I started playing drums 61 years ago my teacher had me practice with heavy wood sticks on pillows to develop technique. To me that's what it sounds like & I totally get the "carpet beating" example!

Reactions: hushpuppy
Yepper. the .30 is not so backyard friendly. I cranked off a round in my suburban backyard from my new Evol Paradigm. The muzzle retort, even with the stock AAA moderator, was quite a bit louder than anything else I have, including my short barreled Caiman X in .25, not to mention the sound of the round hitting the sandbag target. I decided then and there to order one of those new Alteros muzzle break/moderators. Just going to have to find a 1/2 ich threaded adapter for the Evol. I'm sure they are out there.

Evol1 (2).jpg