• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Fabulous Diana 27

Hello. I will share with you some comments and picts. of a jewel that I’m lucky to own: The fabulous, classic, Diana 27!

It came to my life at a time when I was obsessed with super-magnums (springers), and this little beauty was an eye opener. It is a joy to handle and shoot such a well mannered, simple and accurate gun.

I’m sure there are Diana experts here in the forum, so I ask them please to get in and correct all the mistakes I will mix with real info. below...

This model was produced for a long period of time. The first versions date from before WW2, and it remained in production until the 80s. There are, therefore, many specimens everywhere.

Naturally, its design suffered several changes in time. Especially in aesthetics, the sights, the trigger, but I understand that the power plant remained more or less the same, representing about the maximum power of air rifles of those old times. In power, it was later surpassed by the model 35, and then by other “magnums”, in the case of Diana, the model 45.

The small brothers of the model 27 are the model 25, the 22/23 and the 15/ 16, etc., which are considered kid/youth rifles. The 27 is definitely an adult rifle. But for me, after a while dealing with super-magnums, the 27 felt like a rifle for a kid. Cocking is very easy, just one finger is needed, and the rifle is very light. The 27 is kind of an “optimum” when it comes to the balance between weight, power, and accuracy.

I think that it was around the time of its discontinuation (the 1980s) that Diana started cutting production costs like crazy: Each marginal change you see in how a specific part evolves, has to do with reducing costs. If properly done, quality wouldn’t deteriorate (much). Before that, Diana was plain pure quality. Well, this is a sad story that is found in many other brands. The quality is of old Diana’s is noticeable in every detail. Note that the 27 was not the luxury rifle in Diana's sporter catalog (that role was probably for the 50 model), but it was a well made, adult rifle.

If you ask for a small, light, compact & classic rifle that is easy to cock and has excellent accuracy... probably most people will direct you to the R7 (Weihrauch HW30S). The Diana 27 will be probably ignored! The HW is more or less a modern rifle, which I understand is well suited for use with a telescopic sight. The Diana 27 seems to me to be more elegant, more stylish, with similar accuracy (excellent in both) but a little bit more power. The 27 invites to use open sights.

Well, enough of yada-yada and let's go to the picts!

General View:

Imagen01.JPG

Imagen02.JPG

Imagen03.JPG

The “pistolet” is rounded, something that was more or less common in older weapons. The stock is made of beech wood, very simple –but comfortable- and it is finished with tinted lacquer (or is it tinted varnish?). The metal is blued and its quality is excellent. Of course, after several decades it wears down and some patina appears, and some rust too.

Seen from above, the stock is super skinny. Here you can also see the rail of the telescopic sight (not all versions have it):

Imagen04.JPG

The inscriptions are “embossed”, as was more common before. Here the beautiful logo of Diana, the goddess, who throws her bow to take a pellet rifle!!!

Imagen05.JPG

From a certain moment (mid or late 60s?), Diana's began to bring an inscription on the side indicating the date of manufacture. This is from June 1971 (06 71):

Imagen06.JPG

The open sights are of good quality. This is generally true of all Diana's, ancient and modern AFAIK. Here in any case you can't see the original sights, because I replaced them with others. At the back I put a diopter (a cheap Chinese diopter, but works well), while for the front sight I put one with an option of interchangeable inserts. It's from Diana too, but from another model:

Imagen07.JPG

Imagen08.JPG

The breech block area is completely rounded, elegant. Most modern spring rifles usually try to hide this area, because it's square and crude. The Diana 27 uses a block design that is round and pretty. See also the quality on the screws (each screw that serves as an axis, has its own fixing screw):

Imagen09.JPG

Imagen10.JPG

Here is how the lever is attached to the barrel block (again, pure quality). It doesn’t rattle, and no need for a “custom part” to achieve this!

Imagen11.JPG

Imagen12.JPG

Imagen13.JPG

Imagen14.JPG

The trigger is what they call “the 3 ball trigger”. A particular design of Diana, dating from a time when triggers were not very good (the HW Rekord did not exist) and Diana came up with this design that was innovative in its time. It consists of two cylinders (one inside the other), the piston rod goes through the innermost cylinder and is “caught” in place by 3 little balls, which will not allow it to move, until the outer cylinder moves, releasing the balls – which is caused by the pull of the trigger. This way, the higher brute force of the spring/piston is supported by the 3 balls, and the trigger itself only has to deal against the outer cylinder, which is a much lower force. This design was used even in modern rifles of Diana (example: models 48-52-54 with the called “T01”), but then it was changed to something different (T05?) which, I guess, was motivated again to reduce costs. The trigger of the 3 balls I think is very good, it feels good on my 27:

Imagen15.JPG

Imagen16.JPG

Screw “A” adjusts the limit point between the first and the second time of the trigger, and with the screw “B” the screw “A” is fixed so that it does not move. Again, quality from a time when they were not yet thinking about saving costs. If they made it today, it would only have 1 screw!

Note: There is here in the forum an excellent thread about the 3 ball trigger.

The grooves on the barrel are deep. Also, the barrel has a choke (or semi-choke?). Some say that in the process of machining (or pressing) the front sight mounting rails on a barrel, it automatically created a semi-choke. True or not? Anyways, the choke can be perfectly felt when you clean the barrel:

Imagen17.JPG

Imagen18.JPG

In the butt of the stock there is a little red rubber button. Someone once told me that this is here so that the rifle doesn't slip when stored (when stored standing up):

Imagen19.JPG

Here is the Diana 27 next to the Hatsan 135 (a Turkish magnum gun), for comparison. It is not so much shorter, but much lighter, more stylized and less bulky:

Imagen20.JPG

When I cock the Diana 27 and think about the 8 fpe it generates, I can only conclude that the Hatsan 135 should give 80 fpe!!!

I bought this rifle here in Chile, obviously used. It was in good condition. The previous owner told me that he got it from someone who brought it with him from another country (Colombia IIRC). I think that is why this rifle is labeled “Diana”, because most of the Diana’s we can get here are “Gecado” labeled. I have also a Gecado 27, I will try to post some picts. of it later.

I understand this Diana 27 has never been opened. It is more than 50 years old and must have thousands and thousands of shots, and is still working flawlessly. Some say the original spring will last a lifetime. The D27 has a leather piston seal and all what´s needed is a couple of drops of oil every XX shots (500?). The barrel seal (oring), of course, will have to be changed from time to time.

Power-wise, as said, this one gives about 8 fpe: 680 fps with Gamo Match pellets. This gun is 177 cal. however there are many in 22 cal. I’d say it could kill little birds (not pigeons) and mice or such, but no bigger game than that. I wouldn’t go hunting with it, this is a pure plinking gun for me.

The accuracy is excellent. With the diopter I get groups about 1 inch CTC, or smaller, at 25 yards all day. By my standards that is very good. At that distance I can barely see the target. In fact, I need a big, solid center (black or dark grey) to aim at, and it is surprising how shot after shot you're hitting the same place (almost), when in fact your eyes cannot see exactly where you're aiming at.

I will never sell it!! And I try to educate my son as much as I can, so when I pass away he knows what he is getting!!

Best Regards.
Rodrigo.

Very nice write up. I'm normally a Weihrauch guy, but a friend sent me an old leather sealed D27 to fix. It was crunchy when I got it due to a bent guide and spring. After it was fixed, it was a darling little rifle. I would have given anything to have that gun as teenger. Simple, light to cock and accurate. It was like a slightly bigger HW30 that felt lighter in hand.

I have one a little older. No rail. I think it shoots 650. I don't really need it, I don't shoot it. Pretty nice shape on the metal. The stock has numerous scratches. I would refinish it if there wasn't such a thing as an HW30/R7. I adjusted the trigger and it's crisp.
I have a whole raft of vintage guns
IMG_3807.jpg
IMG_3808.jpg

When I was a teen in the mid 1970s,I had a gun like this that I bought from a outdoor catalog store. Thought Parker was in the title but not sure. Only thing I can remember was the 177 cal version velocity was stated at 690 fps. I know it was a diana but not sure of the model. Maybe it was a 27 but not sure. Loved the gun. Would love to get another.

I have one a little older. No rail. I think it shoots 650. I don't really need it, I don't shoot it. Pretty nice shape on the metal. The stock has numerous scratches. I would refinish it if there wasn't such a thing as an HW30/R7. I adjusted the trigger and it's crisp.
View attachment 361502View attachment 361503

View attachment 361502View attachment 361503
Would you consider selling it ?

OKAY...now we're talkin' REAL airguns! 😀 The D27 is a long-time fave of mine.

Your post is excellent! The description of the trigger, and the 27's elegant design touches, is super. It's not a fancy looking or high power air rifle, but they did all the important stuff very well.

Here's a pic and a couple old threads you might get a kick out of (one secret to finding a 27, is to search under its many other brand names: Diana 27, Geco 27, Gecado 27, Winchester 427, Hy-Score 807, RWS 27, Original 27, Beeman 100, and more...!

This great old article by Ladd Fanta, posted on Paul Watts's site, turned me on to the 27 in particular, and older lower-powered springers in general.

IMG_1831.jpeg

Last edited:
A pic, and some old threads you might get a kick out of (one secret to finding one, is to search under its many other brand names: Diana, Winchester, Geco, Gecado, Winchester, Hy-Score, RWS, Original, Beeman, and more...!

View attachment 361785
Mike thanks to you I was able to fix the one I did. You're a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

Highest regards
Ron

Reactions: MDriskill
I had a pre-War 27 and fully agree with the OP... phenomenal construction and great shooting, accurate rifle. The 3 ball trigger was very good. Also had a Haenel from around that era but it was not as powerful or accurate. I generally liked the 27 more than my R7 but that's not a big accomplishment... that one was very inaccurate. The best of that size I had was a Walther 53... very light, decent power, very accurate, and great match trigger with nice match peeps. Sadly, all those are gone but good memories, anyway.
Thanks much to all of you for posting the stories and pics.
Bob

Hello & Thanks!!

Those are nice pictures of your 27s.

KWK, you say the stock on yours has numerous scratches? It looks great to me. Just proper marks of its age.

That older model of MDriskill with the small wood stock (1926) is a total beauty. I have looked at that pictures many times (not here for the first time), always with some “healthy envy”. LOL.

I will post pictures of my Gecado 27.

PREVIA P1090232.JPG

Reactions: bf1956
As has been said, “Gecado” was a brand or trade name with which Diana rifles were exported to many countries. They used –I think they still use- several other brands: RWS, Hy-Score, Original, Geco, even Crosman. Here in Chile the “Gecado” was predominant, so few “Diana’s” with the Hunting Godess logo are seen.

When I bought my Gecado 27 it was in poor condition. Almost no bluing left, it was “painted” with a black paint. Under the paint you could see that someone had crudely sanded with low grit sandpaper, metal was scratched and rusty. The trigger was loose and missing a screw. The open sights were loose too. The stock was poor condition, many scratches and no original finish left. Etc. Power was low about 5 fpe, but accuracy was fine. Also, this gun has a smoothbore, not a rifled bore, GULP.

I repaired it. I polished the metal parts, removing all bluing, rust, and paint. Sanded it down and mirror polished it, as much as I could, then waxed it. I sanded and re-finished the stock with gun-oil. Changed the loose parts of the trigger etc. Also took the rear open sight apart, cleaned and with a few adjustments it was firm again. IIRC, TW Chambers from UK and Schneider from Germany had many original parts available back then, and were helpful for my project. I also redid the powerplant...

I was happy with the result.

So, I think: If you ever have a very poor / very beaten 27... it is highly probable that you can convert it into a priced possession.

Pictures of Gecado 27 after the repair:

P1090212.JPG

P1090213.JPG

P1090214.JPG

P1090215.JPG

P1090216.JPG

P1090217.JPG

P1090219.JPG

P1090220.JPG

P1090221.JPG

P1090224.JPG

P1090225.JPG

P1090226.JPG

P1090230.JPG

P1090231.JPG

P1090233.JPG

P1090234.JPG

P1090235.JPG

P1090236.JPG

P1090238.JPG

P1090239.JPG

Accuracy with open sights is good. Up to 10 yards it almost stacks pellets. This intrigues me a bit, because it’s a smoothbore gun... For me this proves that a smoothbore is not deprived of good accuracy at close ranges. Beyond 10 yards it becomes a bit inaccurate compared to the Diana 27, but I couldn't tell it's because of the barrel, or because of the open sights (the Diana 27 has a diopter). In any case, at 25 yards it groups like 2 - 2.5 inches CTC. Good enough for my plinking pleasure. Note: At 25 yds all pellets arrive perfectly “straight” on paper.

Hello & Thanks!!

Those are nice pictures of your 27s.

KWK, you say the stock on yours has numerous scratches? It looks great to me. Just proper marks of its age.

That older model of MDriskill with the small wood stock (1926) is a total beauty. I have looked at that pictures many times (not here for the first time), always with some “healthy envy”. LOL.

I will post pictures of my Gecado 27.

View attachment 362316
I would still refinish it if I considered it a keeper but for me it's not. I don't like my keepers to be beaters. Unless it's something rare. I take better care of my guns than that. Nice guns, I guess but I just don't really like them. I bought it a few years ago and it doesn't do anything special for me. Oh well..... I'd part with it but I'm not giving it away.

Some photos of the Gecado 27 together with the Diana 27 for comparison:

P1090240.JPG

P1090241.JPG

P1090242.JPG

P1090244.JPG

Differences between both:

- The Gecado does not bear an inscription of its date of manufacture. I presume it is from the 60s approx.

- Open sights are different. Diana used several different designs (at least 2) of open sights, all of good quality. I think they even alternated them over time.

- The Gecado does not have the little red button on the stock, like the one on the Diana 27.

- The Gecado does not have a rail for a telescopic sight.

- This difference can only be seen when actions are out of the stocks: The way in which the action fits into the stock is different in both rifles. That is, both guns have a different “inletting”. This is important if one ever wants to buy a replacement stock, one should double check that the stock will fit / or at least be ready for some wood-working.

I couldn't help it. I stripped mine last evening. The scratched up stock is too ugly. I think kids handled most of them. They're usually beat up.
Must be urethane, that finish is hard to get softened enough to scrape off. I'll test it with acetone when I get a minute to work on it again. Acetone gums up most finishes but not urethane.
Traditional wood scrapers worked well enough for me (piece of -carbon steel sheet- could be sharpened). Alternate this and high grit sandpaper to help scraper do its work.
But... I love woodworking, so my opinion might be “biased”!!