The Evolution of Airgun Optics: Traditional Scopes vs. Digital Aiming Systems

There's been an undeniable evolution in the field of airgun optics over the years, and it's only getting more interesting. From traditional scopes to the newer digital aiming systems, the range of options has never been wider.

Old school scopes, with their mechanical nature and often high-quality glass, are still favored by many. However, digital aiming systems bring a whole new suite of features to the table – things like range-finding, video recording, night vision, and more.

So, I want to hear from you:

1. Are you a traditionalist sticking with classic scopes, or have you embraced digital aiming systems?
  2. What are the benefits you've experienced with your chosen optics system?
  3. If you have tried both, which one do you prefer for different types of shooting (plinking, target shooting, hunting)?
  4. For those who've gone digital, what are some of the unexpected challenges you've faced?
  5. What do you see as the future of airgun optics?
Can't wait to hear what you all think.

I was fortunate in that a fellow forum member let me try out his Wraith Mini. It was very nice and I can see having one on a separate gun dedicated to it. It worked nicely for nighttime ratting, but did not like having to depend on batteries or a power source. So am sticking with what you’re calling old school scopes. I don’t want to record my kills for me it was more about seeing in the dark with it.

I agree with Luis. It’s great to get some nighttime action but even low end traditional glass is much superior in the light and there’s nothing worse than a battery going out at the wrong time. Also, the boot up cycle takes valuable time when pesting and you can’t leave one on due to the poor battery life. Finally, I don’t like the fact that, on reboot, the scope doesn’t default to the zoom setting I was using before. I guess one plus for daytime use is the video recording. However, that’s one more thing to remember when I’d prefer to concentrate on the shot.

Most of my pesting is night-time, and it's my primary reason for having airguns, so digital thermal is my default.

I have three optical scopes, two red dots, some iron sights, one holographic sight and an IR scope (the Wraith Mini). But far more often than not, I'm using my thermal.

Holosun has a tiny thermal "red-dot-like" sight coming out. I might eventually get something like that, but I'm in no rush.

Most of my pesting is night-time, and it's my primary reason for having airguns, so digital thermal is my default.

I have three optical scopes, two red dots, some iron sights, one holographic sight and an IR scope (the Wraith Mini). But far more often than not, I'm using my thermal.

Holosun has a tiny thermal "red-dot-like" sight coming out. I might eventually get something like that, but I'm in no rush.
I’m interested In give by thermal a try. Most of the reviews focus on larger game. Could you give a sense of how useful it is for smaller game and how far out you can use it on rats?

There's been an undeniable evolution in the field of airgun optics over the years, and it's only getting more interesting. From traditional scopes to the newer digital aiming systems, the range of options has never been wider.

Old school scopes, with their mechanical nature and often high-quality glass, are still favored by many. However, digital aiming systems bring a whole new suite of features to the table – things like range-finding, video recording, night vision, and more.

1. Are you a traditionalist sticking with classic scopes, or have you embraced digital aiming systems?
  3. If you have tried both, which one do you prefer for different types of shooting (plinking, target shooting, hunting)?
  4. For those who've gone digital, what are some of the unexpected challenges you've faced?
Currently WFTF doesn't allow electronic scopes.
So it's just a waste of money for me to invest in one of these digital "smart" scopes.

I do wonder how one of these "smart" digital scope would do on a springer. If their erector tube is no longer mechanical but has been totally replaced electronically/digitally, I might start lobbying for use of these scopes in WFTF.

I’m interested In give by thermal a try. Most of the reviews focus on larger game. Could you give a sense of how useful it is for smaller game and how far out you can use it on rats?

Works great. The longest safe shot in my yard is about 30 yards, so I only shoot further than that at the range. And it has trouble focusing closer than about 6 yards. . . So you can't really use it for super close-in work. I do use it at the range a little but it feels a little silly whipping out such an expensive item in public. So I mostly just use it in the dark, at home!

I would imagine it would be quite usable on rats at 60 or 80 yards, that said, I've never tried. The limitation here would be your sensor resolution plus your optical zoom levels. My scope is native 3x optical zoom and a 640x480 sensor.

Thermal is great! If you are willing to drop good money for good thermal. I have thermals for night hunting coyotes with PBs. You need at least 384 or 640 image quality. A decent thermal will run about 2,000. I have Pulsars Thermions that are about 5,000. For pesting at night get a Pard, Mini wraith and a decent IR light and you will be just fine at pesting. The good thermals are great at identifying at farther distances which is no concern for pesting.

1. To date, I've been a traditionalist in the sense that I only own glass-lens optics. That said, I'm in the process of embracing the newer technology represented by digital aiming systems.

2. I appreciate the convenience and reliability of traditional glass-lens optics, but have recently developed an interest in the features of digital aiming systems.

3. I haven't used any digital aiming systems yet, but plan on purchasing one soon.

4. I come from a start-up technology background, so I'm well-prepared for the challenges associated with the development of new technology.

5. I suspect digital aiming systems will continue to improve and as a result, will become as ubiquitous on airguns as red dot sights are on concealed carry handguns.

1. To date, I've been a traditionalist in the sense that I only own glass-lens optics. That said, I'm in the process of embracing the newer technology represented by digital aiming systems.

2. I appreciate the convenience and reliability of traditional glass-lens optics, but have recently developed an interest in the features of digital aiming systems.

3. I haven't used any digital aiming systems yet, but plan on purchasing one soon.

4. I come from a start-up technology background, so I'm well-prepared for the challenges associated with the development of new technology.

5. I suspect digital aiming systems will continue to improve and as a result, will become as ubiquitous on airguns as red dot sights are on concealed carry handguns.
I agree 100% with you. Some digital scopes are very good and not very expensive. I've had issues with ATN with freezing and locking up and having to reboot on several occasions. I think the mini wraith is great and the IR light that comes with it is decent but there are better options for lights. It is a very good picture being 4K now as you increase the digital zoom it gets more grainy but they all do. Like I said for pesting under 100 yards pretty good option. Also if you get a good quick detach one piece mount for it for a pic rail zero stays very consistent.

Jon

Last edited:
I am watching the developments in the newer systems but the price still seems pretty steep to me and I think the technology is still evolving. I don't need to shoot at night, that seems to be a current need these products fulfill. But the built in rangefinder and even POA adjuster could be useful in daylight and who knows, I might want to make a video of a shot someday. But the "big deal" features to me would be rangefinder + POA adjuster. That is offered on some night vision scopes but they are not inexpensive. Some also seem to be quite heavy. Not clear to me why a basically electronic device needs to be heavy - but batteries can have significant mass. I'd get interested in a 1 lb. "scope" with rangefinder/POA adjustment for under $500. I haven't seen anything close to this. But I think it might be coming. If it weighed 1.5 lbs that is not a deal killer but 2+ lbs is for me.

Reactions: drsquall

5. What do you see as the future of airgun

I was looking at digital compound bow sights. This $1799 Garmin will read out to 250yrds. The incline/decline is useful and would be faster than a rangefinder but I don’t know if it could show a mil reticle

BB54C768-AEF1-449A-8D6C-321123C76DC8.jpeg

18C6FEBC-8CA4-4114-8E2C-AF6D4FAF170A.jpeg

Reactions: delooper
I see a lot of positives/potential with these electronic scopes.

1. no erector tube/ turret mechanisms to wear out and or bang around by recoils.
2. Ranging is more accurate with a laser (especially with dark targets, no more using the parallax wheel to range ...like in Field Target competition)
3. built in ballistic app to assist with pellet drop. (canting, elevated shots..etc)
4. Potentially eliminating temperature observed variances on current erector tube scopes.

Don't know when the competition sports will start embracing these electronic scopes. I suspect it's coming. More than likely the hunting crowd and the general plinking public are going to drive the initial sales of these scopes.

Price will drop when the technology matures and these things starts taking over market shares.

A lot of traditionalist (like myself) are going to hold fast...but I see big changes coming in rifle optics
--
Plus the ability to record your shots...That's priceless in helping shooters improve their trigger control and their hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD
Since my first post in this thread I've either noticed the Arken Zulus or they introduced it. It is pretty close to my spec but still about $100 high in price. But I see it as very significant progress. $600 for a scope with laser range finding and aim point adjustment + night vision + recording seems better than electronic scopes that have been around longer. Maybe close to half as much. I have not been following real closely so I might be off but it seems to be selling well which would be consistent with my price observation. Hopefully that sort of success will drive others to introduce lower cost options too. These scopes could help me avoid the one issue I do not like about my bullpups. They shoot really low close up because their scopes are so high. Fiddling with the range finder would be better than missing.

I've shot one mouse at 77 yards (LRF) but hesitate to post the video because I used a powder burner. In a cut field, I can see mice out to 160+ yards. Pulsar Trail 2 LRF in 384.

Will point out that tracking a mouse with thermal is much easier than with NV. They don't seem to stop moving for long and with thermal you can be on them during a pause and get the shot off quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pfddi
I was looking at digital compound bow sights. This $1799 Garmin will read out to 250yrds. The incline/decline is useful and would be faster than a rangefinder but I don’t know if it could show a mil reticle

View attachment 419729

View attachment 419728
That looks like a crossbow scope, rather than a compound bow scope.

I like the general idea of that scope. Show me the distance and the inclination. That's all that really matters. I don't need a video recorder.

Reactions: JamesD.
That looks like a crossbow scope, rather than a compound bow scope.

I like the general idea of that scope. Show me the distance and the inclination. That's all that really matters. I don't need a video recorder.
Yes it is a cross bow scope. I don’t want blue tooth or recording anything on night vision or a thermal either lol.
Like these companies think everyone wants to be seen on YouTube