The EU ammo elephant in the room

Ive mentioned this before but is anybody else in the USA concerned about the proposed lead ammo ban in the EU? I am concerned. Even the NRA-IRL is not holding much hope. What I read and derive is a ban on lead leads to the alternative materials having to be imported from china. Follow the $ and thats why I think it will fly. The question is then what will happen to the industry that is so heavily based in the EU? A lead ban there would surely embolden California to take the same step. If a plastic straw can be banned….Maybe the USA airgunners can somehow help this fight and stand with out brethren from across the pond, not sure how but I feel we gotta jump in this fight as we have direct and indirect interests. Least we can do is band together and send letters showing our support to manufacturers in the fight maybe? Let them know here we are cognizant of the situation and stand with them. I really don't know how to help, but im not liking the way the proposed ban is heading and think we need to play a bigger part, even just by raising awareness like this post and sharing links.

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shooting/culture/essf-economic-consequences-of-an-eu-wide-ban-of-lead-in-ammunition/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6675822/

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20200720/european-lead-ammo-ban-update

In my country Denmark the lawmakers inforce leadban from 2023 for rifle ammunition. Its ridiculous(we know) but by doing so the politicians are sending a political message. Its not based on science like if more and blod samples show people have leadpoisoning in them or more and more game have leadpoisoning. Its a political statement(driven by strong egos)for their masters in EU to tell “we do some good for inviroment”.

We have people overhere who shoots antique sixguns, muzzleloaders, cast bullets etc who can only shoot soft lead bullets and ofcourse .22Lr and airguns too. Some have still the use of vintage rifles for hunting where leadbullets too its the only choice.

When this written we haven’ heard whether the leadban will include airgunners or not. The lawmakers overhere are cunning. They have a plan, but they don’ reveal everything until that very moment its too late to do anything supply wise.

The best thing one can do is to circumvent the situation. Some will give up the ghost where others will build stashhouses for a lifetime supply.

The only other metal that is soft and heavy, similar to lead is....................GOLD!!!!

Maybe they will start making pellets outa gold!

It's environmentally friendly and not dangerous to people's health. Why.....they've even been installing gold teeth in people's mouths forever!!

You think this is an expensive hobby now! Just wait till we are forced to shoot gold pellets!!!

Pick a caliber and find some molds in that caliber. Learn how to cast. Problem solved. :)

Roflmao.. no offense but thats really arrogant statement.. here in EU they have alrdy made it near impossible to buy lead.. ppl who cast here try to arrange group buys since minium ammount you can buy from the only supplier still available is 2250lbs.. not that simple really and they are making it harder and harder each year. In few years you are not allowed to use shotgun with leadshots and rifles are quick to follow.. not really an issue with CF etc just more costly but there is no alternative to replace lead in low chamber pressure operating systems.

Impossible to buy lead...I buy lead from eBay at reasonable prices..in 100 pounds batches .. there is a guy right now selling soft lead 100 pounds $110 shipped... people like you are the ones to place fear were is not yet.. I know the day will come.. but as for now.. Im slowly buying everything I can.. I reduced my pcp to 8 n will be receiving soon the first of a few of those 2k+LB pallets...just in case 

The only other metal that is soft and heavy, similar to lead is....................GOLD!!!!

Maybe they will start making pellets outa gold!

It's environmentally friendly and not dangerous to people's health. Why.....they've even been installing gold teeth in people's mouths forever!!

You think this is an expensive hobby now! Just wait till we are forced to shoot gold pellets!!!

Time to enroll in the online alchemy course

Arrogant eh? Just meant as a friendly and encouraging statement for those who live in areas where it’s possible. Sorry this hurt your feelings. :)

Also here’s another arrogant tip. do not buy lead at all - just save your pellets and melt them down again. .

Didnt really hurt my feelings lol. Things just arent so easy here.. with damn left parties hating guns, lead, cars etc.. We have only one competition range with less than 10events each year and now due lead bans etc that only rentable 300m shooting range is losing its environmental lisences due they now want soil need to be cleaned and changed every 5years.. Its so stupid all the studies show that lead in solid form is staying in sandwalls of shooting ranges and not poisonin anything.. but lefties sabotage is real in EU..

Same goes with firearms. We have mandatory military service due 1300km of boarder with russians and you get to play with full auto RK 7.62x39 but as soon as you step out you become risk and getting gun for sportshooting is 2+year process with alot of documents etc or faster way is to get hunting lisence and get one for hunting.. even so every 2years you need to deliver documents to prove you still have use for your gun and you can lose your guns for a bloody speeding ticket lol.. 

You guys dont even understand how fked up things are in EU.. and most EU countrys heavily legislate airguns also.. in our country only limits your boresize to 6.35mm smaller are free meat, larger are equal with firearms.

Hope you guys manage to hold your rights and dont follow this EU madness.

Sorry it is rough for you - things are different here and not to be taken for granted. If it all possible, with a steel .22 trap you can fish lead out of and one good mold will keep you set for a long time. Every time you buy new pellets shoot them into the steel trap when doing target practice and then melt them down to cast fresh slugs.

For some reason I’ve always approached this from a self-sufficiency standpoint so the very first thing I did was get a mold. No way in hell I’m going to be spending all that money on pellets every month just to enjoy my hobby.

A benefit of this is if anything ever gets weird I can always make myself another slug if I need to. And there’s something kind of satisfying in having all of your “loops” closed. Hand pumping a gun and shooting recycled lead is gratifying, for me at least. Of course the one loop that i can’t close is O-rings. Always going to have to buy O-rings.

From what I've seen, most lead free pellets are made in Germany, Spain, Hungary, etc. Haven't located anything made in China. I did notice the containers for Crosman Powershot "Lead Free" are made in China, but the pellets are made in Hungary. I don't know if Gamo outsources any lead free to China.

Does anyone know if there are lead free slugs available? Even lead pellets are less accurate than slugs, at long ranges. I wonder how the lead free slugs would stack up compared to lead slugs.

Does anyone know if there are lead free slugs available? Even lead pellets are less accurate than slugs, at long ranges. I wonder how the lead free slugs would stack up compared to lead slugs.

Predator International showed some at one of the expos I'm guessing in the pre-covid era. Haven't heard if they were at this year's Shot Show.

But not available as far as I know.