The Elephant in the (Classified Ads) Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve noticed what your talking about as well.. and to me after following airguns for 10+ years it doesn’t seem to be any of typical/ obvious reasons for something to not sell.

In my opinion it’s gotta be a reflection on our current economic state in the US..
as Im seeing the same thing on Facebook marketplace which I sell on frequently.. people just aren’t as willing to spend money as they were a year or two ago.
Times are definitely harder for most, although if you listen to the talking heads in charge they couldn’t be better 😁😂
I sold 2 guns this fall on the AG classifieds. I don't believe it has much to do with "hard times". Virtually full employment, unions making huge income strides, inflation going down, interest rates starting to recede, gas prices down, and the stock market is going nuts. Far better environment than when it was a sellers market. 1. I believe its the time of the year; big sales, maybe we air gun addicts have to spend more on loved ones (xmas) than our addiction. There has been some heavy retail discounting making it tough to get your selling price. 2. facebook market place is a cesspool. I I sold at least $4k in stuff this summer to help fuel my AG addiction, I haven't been able to sell any items there lately, its infested with cock roach scammers. And if you read the AG forum regarding (known) scammers you might just be reluctant to purchase from AGN sellers. A person really has to do their homework before they buy on the classifieds if they aren't buying from a known regular here. That really negatively impacts pricing.

I think the market is simply in the tank now. Hopefully not swirling the drain. It is definitely a buyers market for the vintage stuff. Don’t be too surprised if that ends up permanent. I used to collect Schwinn bicycles, it taught me how the collector market works. The Black Phantoms of the 50s dropped in value as soon as those that dreamed of them when they were young got a little too old to care anymore. The same thing happened with Stingrays/Krates 10 to 15 years later. Will the same thing happen with our beloved 80s Springers? If you do the math an AirForce Condor will out, perform every springer ever made and do so at a very reasonable price. So what makes us think today’s 20 year old will have any interest in even the most mouthwatering DualMagnum or Beeman Lazer tuned R1? I personally don’t care if I ever get my money back. I’m going to buy a couple more while they are cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveV
I recently posted two Crowns on AGN and some other items I wasn’t going to need. In my situation I NEED 🤣 an Evol .22 and will not be able to sleep until it’s in bed next to me. I did a search on AGN classifieds for similar items currently and the last couple months. I priced the items, I feel very fairly that was an excellent value to the buyer. Must have been right because the Crowns sold in 40 minutes and the other items soon after, that same day.

This time of year can be tough for disposable income purchase for certain demographics because Christmas is around the corner. But for others, that’s not a factor. In my case I wanted them to move so I priced accordingly. I could have made more money (or not lost so much) by sitting on them but it’s not in my genetics to wait. But there definitely are items on AGN that are priced by owners that really don’t want to take the hit like I’m willing to. I look at it as the cost of the enjoyment I got out of the item and move on.

For airgun items I only use AGN as it’s obviously a focused market. Craigslist and eBay can be sketchy but I know many have had positive experiences. I recently posted a Kitchen Aid mixer on Craigslist for $110, excellent price since everyone else is at least $125. It’s got maybe two hours on it and is in perfect condition. Some clown replies within a hslf hour saying he wants it. I advise it’s available. He offers an extra $50 to hold it till he can take delivery. I said AWESOME, when you’re ready to pick it up we’ll do the transfer at my cities PD lobby. Crickets. Gotta love Craigslist.

Reactions: SteveV
I think the market is simply in the tank now. Hopefully not swirling the drain. It is definitely a buyers market for the vintage stuff. Don’t be too surprised if that ends up permanent. I used to collect Schwinn bicycles, it taught me how the collector market works. The Black Phantoms of the 50s dropped in value as soon as those that dreamed of them when they were young got a little too old to care anymore. The same thing happened with Stingrays/Krates 10 to 15 years later. Will the same thing happen with our beloved 80s Springers? If you do the math an AirForce Condor will out, perform every springer ever made and do so at a very reasonable price. So what makes us think today’s 20 year old will have any interest in even the most mouthwatering DualMagnum or Beeman Lazer tuned R1? I personally don’t care if I ever get my money back. I’m going to buy a couple more while they are cheap.
I think a key difference here is that most of the collectible springers really are guns you'd want to shoot. An SLR88 is a genuinely nice rifle and younger shooters still seem to like springers too. When it comes to bikes, does anyone really want to ride a Stingray or an Orange Krate? Sure, they had style in spades, but they were otherwise horrible bikes.

I think that the vintage pumpers are the ones that will be the equivalent of the bikes you mention. A Sheridan super grade or a Crosman 101 just aren't going to stack up favorably or have the nostalgia factor for younger shooters when compared to PCP's.

Is the glass half full or half empty? People not buying used guns might be a sign of "good times" rather than "hard times". Many buyers can spend more to buy new and get a full warranty, rather than take a chance with a used gun. If new gun sales were suffering. it seems like we'd be seeing big discounts from the retailers.

Is the glass half full or half empty? People not buying used guns might be a sign of "good times" rather than "hard times". Many buyers can spend more to buy new and get a full warranty, rather than take a chance with a used gun. If new gun sales were suffering. it seems like we'd be seeing big discounts from the retailers.
I agree with you and think that what we are seeing is a combination of many factors, I am not sure that the entire market is down, since i don't actually see signs that new gun sales are tanking. I think that the people who have the disposable income are more likely to buy new rather than take a chance on someone else's second hand goods. This is especially true on the ones that have been extensively "customized", where the seller wants to recoup all the hard cash that he (it's usually a guy) has invested.
So, we have a combination of things being harder/tighter for some, no shortage of new air guns and associated paraphernalia, and unreasonable asking prices from sellers. I'm not sure which is the biggest factor, but I know that for myself the delta between what's often being asked in the classifieds and buying it new leads me to buy new.

I’ve noticed what your talking about as well.. and to me after following airguns for 10+ years it doesn’t seem to be any of typical/ obvious reasons for something to not sell.

In my opinion it’s gotta be a reflection on our current economic state in the US..
as Im seeing the same thing on Facebook marketplace which I sell on frequently.. people just aren’t as willing to spend money as they were a year or two ago.
Times are definitely harder for most, although if you listen to the talking heads in charge they couldn’t be better 😁😂
I think I am seeing a similar thing on Facebook Marketplace too. S7

The one thing I could never understand was the whole suffering a loss thing when it comes to guys selling used stuff. News flash, you start suffering a loss the second you open the box. I don’t know if sunken cost syndrome goes hand in hand with people barely being able to afford the things they buy then eventually sell. Or they just won’t give someone a good deal because they were never fortunate enough to get one. Either way, when I sell something I first think about what I would pay for it. I could care less how much I lose. I used it and I’m done with it. Hopefully it serves the next owner who took a big chance buying it well.

It's hard for me to send a stranger $1500 via Pay Pal or Venmo or Money order and hope that that person sends me a gun in return, and the only recourse I have if they don't is to give them negative feedback....

I realize that most people on here are not that way, and I have purchased a couple small items with good success, but also got burned by someone that had, had very good feedback.

Just my luck I guess...

If someone wants to run an add and asks more for the thing he is selling than I think it is worth, what harm is it to me to let him run that ad and renew it as many times as he wants?

Honestly there seem to be a whole lot of people who think there should be a rule for this or a rule for that, until someone says we need a rule that impacts them personally.

Just my two.
It impacts the community. After the 5th repost with no changes, it’s just spam. Rules and moderation are put in place for a reason. To keep things not only on track, but tidy enough that cruising the new posts or the classifieds isn’t a chore of scrolling past the same add that’s been posted 10 times. It’s clutter we don’t need, it affects everyone.

It impacts the community. After the 5th repost with no changes, it’s just spam. Rules and moderation are put in place for a reason. To keep things not only on track, but tidy enough that cruising the new posts or the classifieds isn’t a chore of scrolling past the same add that’s been posted 10 times. It’s clutter we don’t need, it affects everyone.
Speaking for everyone? Last time I tried that it didn't fly. Hope your luck is better.
Seriously, why don't we just agree to disagree? You'll like me a lot better.

Reactions: Perle and longdog
Hey it doesn't effect me but in the most positive manner 😁

ThomasT

Reactions: longdog
The increased cost of everything definitely doesn't help, I was at the vet the other day and about fell out of my chair when I got the quote. Guns I would buy as recently as a yr ago without giving it a second thought are ones I consider for months these days.

All that said, I completely agree with some that the used guns I see out there are almost the cost of new. Every FX gun I have seen on eBay has been within spitting distance of the new model price.

It's hard for me to send a stranger $1500 via Pay Pal or Venmo or Money order and hope that that person sends me a gun in return, and the only recourse I have if they don't is to give them negative feedback....

I realize that most people on here are not that way, and I have purchased a couple small items with good success, but also got burned by someone that had, had very good feedback.

Just my luck I guess...
😡You should name that someone publicly if it occurred here on AGN.

Glad this came up, as some one who buys and sells a lot of used airguns, I mainly buy and sell to increase and upgrade my personal battery, I have had to start hunting other places because classifieds here have become polluted with the same reposting's of guns that no one wants either because of the model or asking price. I am in favor for a limit of relisting's. I recently had some guns, scope's and other accessory's listed at fair prices with no bites (Fishing?) after 5 relisting's it is time not to renew them out of respect for the free use of the forum, my option of my items. I will either try them somewhere else or just set them back till I see a WTB posting for one of said items. Some items and guns will always be destine for Ebay for the simple reason I can get more for them there. Other thoughts on this issues.
1: in a have to have it now society, some my be to quick with the CC for the latest and greatest hot item. The only way they can afford it is with the CC. So they list something else at an inflated price hoping to cover the nut (CC payment) when it comes due. Much like the theory about doubling up you bet each hand at Blackjack when you are down and not winning.
2: Lets face it there is a large influx of a new breed of people joining this sport. Not the ones who enjoy a nice piece of hand craved and checkered walnut or the enjoyment of a well tuned springer. Instead they are in it for the speed, power and space-age looking guns (I do not begrudge them for it)
it's just not what a lot of us older airgun nuts are here for. We have been buying, selling and trading airguns for decades and understand how this is structured. Hopefully if they stay with this sport long enough they will too. How many of you here go back to the old yellow forum? There were guys who never sold a gun and owned 50,100 or more. John Urlick R. I. P. (Hope I spelled it correct) Cecil Whitehead R.I.P. and so many more. Airgunning has chanced some of us have not.
3: There is also the confused, they join the sport for one reason or another and later one realize it is not for them. They try to recoup there complete investment in to this sport only to leave bitter when others will not overpay for there items.
4: If you see something you want and think it is to high, make a offer but do it with respect. If you have and offer come your way and you don't want to sell for that, decline but do it with respect.
It's time to clean the classified's up. Sorry for the long rant.
tim

For me, even if what you're selling is new in the box, unless it's at least 25-30% less than a retailer, I'm not going to consider buying it from you. If I buy from Pyramyd or Amazon, I know who I'm dealing with and that if I don't receive the item it's because of the shipping company and that I have recourse to get my money back or return the item. Now of course if you're selling a Sig Asp or a Sharp Ace, then that's another story. Those are collectible.

Also, most retailers offer free shipping on items above a certain amount and I can usually add pellets or other items to the order to reach $150 or whatever the free shipping minimum is. Your item that's marked off 25% might still be close to 100% of retail if I have to pay for shipping.

And your totally tricked out Crosman isn't worth the sum of its parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.