The Elephant in the (Classified Ads) Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
25% off is the minimum
a “ used “ gun should be listed for.

Shipping included

Also. Price dropping …. If it’s not selling and you want it sold you’ll lower the price …I’d suggest every 2 weeks a drop in price till you hit th rock bottom …. If it doesn’t sell, pull the ad.

Unless you like getting those annoying reminders to relist

The sport / hobby is attracting a lot of new people. Not all savy about these guns …

• Sad
Reactions: ThomasT and L.Leon
25% off is the minimum

Shipping included

Also. Price dropping …. If it’s not selling and you want it sold you’ll lower the price …I’d suggest every 2 weeks a drop in price till you hit th rock bottom …. If it doesn’t sell, pull the ad.

The sport / hobby is attracting a lot of new people. Not all savy about these guns …
Well I read where a few folks on the forum are looking for a handout and do not want to pay a fair price for a used gun. For those folks that cannot afford a good gun are just too cheap, might I suggest going down to Good Will, they often have some junk there at a good price. Stop crying and whining you babies, and stop complaining that someone else is not supporting your needs.

ThomasT

Well I read where a few folks on the forum are looking for a handout and do not want to pay a fair price for a used gun. For those folks that cannot afford a good gun are just too cheap, might I suggest going down to Good Will, they often have some junk there at a good price. Stop crying and whining you babies, and stop complaining that someone else is not supporting your needs.

ThomasT
Hold on now …. Are you serious ?

Aren’t you the one wanting to sell his WHOLE collection at premium prices and a pick up only option ?

I’d say you found out exactly what me and many others are saying. It’s used stuff… modified used stuff is worth less in general “ as it’s been tampered with”

I don’t wish to fight with you.

My opinion vastly differs from yours. I know I’m right and you are wrong. No crying at all. Good luck in your sales

Al

Reactions: Sawney Bean
Just my 70 year old opinion, but when I want to sell a gun or bass guitar (been a player for almost 60 years) I always price them at the least I’ll take right up front. If someone contacts me with an offer, I’ll either politely refuse it (I always reply) or I’ll take their offer.
This BS of bumping an ad 5 or more times is just that….BS.
When I’m browsing the ads here I won’t even look at the ones that have been bumped several times as they typically are wanting way too much for the item If it hasn’t sold in a few days.
This ain’t rocket science.

Just my 70 year old opinion, but when I want to sell a gun or bass guitar (been a player for almost 60 years) I always price them at the least I’ll take right up front. If someone contacts me with an offer, I’ll either politely refuse it (I always reply) or I’ll take their offer.
This BS of bumping an ad 5 or more times is just that….BS.
When I’m browsing the ads here I won’t even look at the ones that have been bumped several times as they typically are wanting way too much for the item If it hasn’t sold in a few days.
This ain’t rocket science.
Absolutely.!

Plus

When these same sellers put on their buyers hat their tunes change.

Last edited:
A true enthusiast would understand.

Hell I sold a 400 dollar rifle for 200. Then spent 65 in shipping. I was glad to get the new owner such a deal as he was an enthusiast.

So according to someone here I gave a “ hand out “

Such Hubris… I can’t help but laugh
Exactly. This isn't an "investment". For that there is real estate, stocks, etc... I buy airguns because they're what I enjoy and I don't expect to get my money back if I choose to sell them later. They're worth what the market says they're worth and if the market says they're worth 10% of what I paid then the market is right.

Speaking for everyone? Last time I tried that it didn't fly. Hope your luck is better.
Seriously, why don't we just agree to disagree? You'll like me a lot better.
I will speak from my knowledge of how Internet forums work effectively, yes. I don’t need to like you, I don’t need to agree/disagree. Moderation is the key to keeping a healthy forum, and discussing it openly is how you steer that moderation in the direction the majority wants. Just reading the thread, it looks like people agree something needs to change in the classifieds moderation system.

I will speak from my knowledge of how Internet forums work effectively, yes. I don’t need to like you, I don’t need to agree/disagree. Moderation is the key to keeping a healthy forum, and discussing it openly is how you steer that moderation in the direction the majority wants. Just reading the thread, it looks like people agree something needs to change in the classifieds moderation system.
That is called confirmation bias. Feel free to indulge in it as much as you want. This is not a democracy. The owner of the forum will probably take into consideration the opinions of everyone not just those who agree with you. Then he will talk to his attorneys. Then he will talk to people who are personal friends known to be interested in his welfare and the welfare of the website. Then he will do what his conscience leads him to do.

No we don't have to like each other and we don't have to respect each other's opinions. The other half of what I said is still true. Life is as hard or as easy as YOU make it.

Last edited:
I might find it mildly annoying when someone repeatedly advertises a used product for nearly the price of a new one, but who is going to be the price police and dictate what any given product is worth? I might not want to pay more than 75% of the price of new for a used product, but that doesn't mean there aren't those who will. So long as there's not a scam involved I don't think we really have any business dictating to people what price they can ask.

I sold 2 guns this fall on the AG classifieds. I don't believe it has much to do with "hard times". Virtually full employment, unions making huge income strides, inflation going down, interest rates starting to recede, gas prices down, and the stock market is going nuts. Far better environment than when it was a sellers market. 1. I believe its the time of the year; big sales, maybe we air gun addicts have to spend more on loved ones (xmas) than our addiction. There has been some heavy retail discounting making it tough to get your selling price. 2. facebook market place is a cesspool. I I sold at least $4k in stuff this summer to help fuel my AG addiction, I haven't been able to sell any items there lately, its infested with cock roach scammers. And if you read the AG forum regarding (known) scammers you might just be reluctant to purchase from AGN sellers. A person really has to do their homework before they buy on the classifieds if they aren't buying from a known regular here. That really negatively impacts pricing
Wait, what?

Inflation going down? Every time I buy a bag of groceries it’s fifty bucks. And we’re not talking steaks and bottles of wine. And gas prices are as high as ever. You’re from California, you should know as well as anyone.

Regarding the stock market, it may be doing better this month, but the last two months saw a $20,000 loss in a couple of my mutual funds portfolios.

And as far as interest rates, most 30 year loans are above seven percent. Yes, maybe better than 10 percent, but not even close to what it was five years ago.

Returning to the subject at hand, over the years I have seen some great deals on the classifieds. There are also those ads placed by members who don’t seem to understand depreciation. Nonetheless, I still look every day, and every once in a while snag a good deal.

Some airguns don’t have a huge following. I can understand when those hang around waiting for a person who wants it.

There is also a buyer bias in this thread. It’s a 50/50. Sellers have the right to get what’s acceptable to them.

It doesn’t bother me seeing the same ad. It’s just scrolling. There is just as much scrolling of stuff I’m not interested in all the areas.

Look I don't have a dog in the fight. I am not selling Anything. I am ok with ask what you want. (for Price) What needs to happen is the "WANT TO BUY" and The " WANT TO SELL" need to be be in separate locations want to buy pushes the want to sell or vice versa Down the page way to far. Way to sloppy for my taste. 10 post 10 days isn't enough IMO 50 /20 would be better. I have bought 1.5 guns here ( the second gun will be picked up on the 26th) I used to come here every day not so much any more. (Life) but I do agree the classifieds are a mess. This would help the classifieds a LOT. I don't have a problem with people asking what they want for a price. it will sell or it will not. but going 4 pages to find something to buy because you have to wade though the Want to Buy posts is a bit mind numbing. Sometimes 4 pages in one day if you don't come here daly it makes it tough to find your seller. If you came once a week I couldn't imagine.how tough it would be to find your seller. I had to check every day to find my NEW Baby.

I wouldn't post "Want To Buy" In fear.... That is where the scammers have the upper hand. and I am not that lazy to look at What is for sale.

Last edited:
I might find it mildly annoying when someone repeatedly advertises a used product for nearly the price of a new one, but who is going to be the price police and dictate what any given product is worth? I might not want to pay more than 75% of the price of new for a used product, but that doesn't mean there aren't those who will. So long as there's not a scam involved I don't think we really have any business dictating to people what price they can ask.
I agree with you. I’m saying me. Ask what you want but if it doesn’t sell In a timely manor I suggest lowering prices.

I won’t pay more than 75 % of new price.

I like the idea about brand headings / sections and a separate want to buy section

Last edited:
Wait, what?

Inflation going down? Every time I buy a bag of groceries it’s fifty bucks. And we’re not talking steaks and bottles of wine. And gas prices are as high as ever. You’re from California, you should know as well as anyone.

Regarding the stock market, it may be doing better this month, but the last two months saw a $20,000 loss in a couple of my mutual funds portfolios.

And as far as interest rates, most 30 year loans are above seven percent. Yes, maybe better than 10 percent, but not even close to what it was five years ago.

Returning to the subject at hand, over the years I have seen some great deals on the classifieds. There are also those ads placed by members who don’t seem to understand depreciation. Nonetheless, I still look every day, and every once in a while snag a good deal.

Really? Where are you in California? I'm just across the border in Oregon and gas is down a dollar from the summer, oil has been down too. I understood you pay the most because California has the highest taxes on gas and uses only in-state refineries.
Had a nice ribeye roast from Fred last weekend for $4.99 a pound, maybe shop the ads.
If your savings are down 20k on 2 months performance, you must really be loaded, or maybe you are in the wrong kind of funds. SandP500 index fund, I'm doing great.
Interest rates go up, they go down, they already are with more projected cuts next year. The world has indeed been through a lot in the last 5 years, sorry you missed any better times

25% off is the minimum

Shipping included

Some folks know everything and some just think they know everything... 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gumby31
Status
Not open for further replies.