The Elephant in the (Classified Ads) Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it’s kind of a give and take. It’s free here and the market is as tight as a ducks butt. Lol. eBay is expensive but people will get stupid with their bids over there. I just wish sellers here would do a bit of research before listing. So many guns that are basically just a waste of space listed on here. Your impacts are not worth 1700 anymore. Probably not even 1600. Even with accessories.

I guess it’s kind of a give and take. It’s free here and the market is as tight as a ducks butt. Lol. eBay is expensive but people will get stupid with their bids over there. I just wish sellers here would do a bit of research before listing. So many guns that are basically just a waste of space listed on here. Your impacts are not worth 1700 anymore. Probably not even 1600. Even with accessories.
Neither was my Maverick! LOL

Reactions: SteveV
It’s pretty simple. If you can’t negotiate a price that both parties agree upon, move along. It’s not like many (if any) of us need airguns to survive. I like to watch the 5+ month long classifieds ads running where the price drops $5-$10 a month and goes from “free shipping” to “split shipping.” I get a kick out of some of these ads and wonder “when will this guy get it?” There are some good times to be had on the forums.

Now what @Firewalker said about someone calling him a rip-off artist is a bit ridiculous. I hope you told that character to kick rocks with no shoes & no socks. You can ask whatever price you want. Now what you get may be an entirely different story.

Last edited:
Not airguns related but from life and other hobbies. In my local (Toronto) classifieds I placed same adds over last several months...tried high price, tried low asking price, lowballers all over the place,,,but never actually anybody show up. For example over two decades I invested over $10K in archery equipment alone, no cheap but all high-end stuff, there all sitting in my locker. I tried to recover even just a portion of my invested money (70% and much lower) really hard with not much success, but I survived somehow. I think I will be OK with collecting dust in my locker. Maybe after tomorrow a better life coming ....

Basically if you don't like someone's price move along. I personally knock off 33% of new cost and might negotiate if signs of use, but absolutely will not negotiate if in 100% perfect condition (no dents, scratches, blemishes at all). We need to figure out how to charge all of the tire kickers for wasting a seller's time asking questions with little to no interested in actually making a purchase.

They weren't worth that new

Reactions: airgunmike56
I see that an awful lot of sellers on the classifieds that have been renewing their ads for months are also asking top dollar. I even saw one seller asking a higher than new price for a stock item.
I wonder if sometimes people list things they really don’t want to sell but are pressured to by someone else or just something in their mind to justify a new purchase they made. When it never sells they can say “well I tried.” Lol.

Reactions: SteveV and Vana2
Prices go up, Prices go down depending on demand and availability of product. Capitalism 101. Prices are determined on what the buyer is willing to pay. This fluctuates with products being obsoleted by newer products with bells and whistles. The rifle you are selling is last years model but you don't want to take a low price because you think it is worth more. It sits, with no offers. You will only accept USPS money orders ( cobwebs will form before you sell it). Your wife complains because you have too many airguns. You agree to sell one to appease her but put an unreasonable price so it will never sell and tell her no one will buy it.
Oh, don’t even get me started on this. So I was in the market for a Crossman 600 and encountered some woman who had two that she was selling, but wouldn’t give me a price upfront for some reason. She inherited them from her father apparently, and wasn’t sure really, if they still worked. But she told me she would give me a really good price on it. If I decided I wanted to buy one and I thought about it for a while. She was also selling a Redfield 3X9X golden 5 star scope so I said I’d buy the nicer looking 600 and the scope. Again, she couldn’t verify that the 600 actually was ready to use without needing repairs/seals, and it did not have the box or anything.

She messaged me back instructing me to send $500 to her PayPal, Lol. I NICELY explained how she was nowhere near the ballpark and surmised that she just searched eBay and found some absurd priced items that haven’t sold and probably won’t ever sell (unless lowered). I also suggested looking at actual sold/sales history for standalone models that aren’t verified to be operational.

I did all of this in a extremely polite way and was over apologetic about not buying after she took pictures and answeried a bunch of questions.

She then throws an adult hissy fit and gives me an attitude. lol, angry I wasn’t giving her $500 for $250-$300 worth of stuff.

Glad I got out of that situation because not long after I found this (picture) verified working/recent serviced near mint looking 600 (no box) for $90 along with the MK 1 in the photo for $100. Not bad for under $200… both in amazing condition and working flawlessly.
IMG_4065.png

Status
Not open for further replies.