The Elephant in the (Classified Ads) Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, all.

As a one-time (?) seller and occasional buyer in the classified section, I have noticed that since about May little is selling easily, even after several reductions. Other items, apparently due to not being sold, disappear. I look at the classified ads continuously and find that there is a new "normal" for the price of used rifles and scopes. What was selling, say, for $1,300 or $600.00 in the spring, is now sitting still for a couple of hundred less, give or take. These are intentionally fabricated numbers, and I am not trying to cause anyone grief, and I am not pointing to anyone, so please do not take this personally. It is an observation. It seems to be a buyer's market, in plain English.

Is this perceived change in the market due to hard times, sales offered by retailers, a funny trend, or something else?
If I am missing a good piece of this issue, forgive me. I have been a member for a relatively short period, so I cannot speak to the matter from any lengthy experience.

Thanks for listening. S7

Reactions: .20calguy
Prices go up, Prices go down depending on demand and availability of product. Capitalism 101. Prices are determined on what the buyer is willing to pay. This fluctuates with products being obsoleted by newer products with bells and whistles. The rifle you are selling is last years model but you don't want to take a low price because you think it is worth more. It sits, with no offers. You will only accept USPS money orders ( cobwebs will form before you sell it). Your wife complains because you have too many airguns. You agree to sell one to appease her but put an unreasonable price so it will never sell and tell her no one will buy it.

I'm on another forum for a different venue of the shooting sports and the same thing is happening in the classifieds on it. Given that over half the offerings are full on custom hand built or semi-custom and cannot be ordered online or found in a store anywhere. I've come to look at that one as a marker of things getting tougher for some.
As for these classifieds. I've been looking around for a new or new to me PCP rifle and the asking on many of the used I'm interested in is too close to new to mess with.

Edit. It's just not forum classifieds on the inflated used prices. The online stores I usually buy off of have been way overpriced on used here of late. Selling used with no warranty, accessories, or upgrades beyond stock for a hundred or so less than a brand new example cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmplinker2
Yep, every ad I look at is priced much to close to what new can be bought for.
Point is, unlike a couple of years ago, everything can easily be purchased new at discounted prices…..nothing is in short supply and sellers will/need to start recognizing this if they want to sell their stuff.
Those who are just now getting into this sport don’t seem to realize this fact…..they will learn.
It offends them if you make a realistic offer and most of the time they won’t even answer you Not realizing how rude that is.
It’s the world we live in.😉

Last edited:
Its a big time buyers market , Maybe just that time of the year when everyone is broke,
Big example 4 Carm RTI 177 mags cost me 35x4=140 + shipping 20 bucks =160.
4 boxes NSA 177 slugs 20 X4 = 80 bucks Total 240 bucks, All for sale 50 bucks Total....
For sale I said I will pay shipping at least 20 bucks or more leads heavy,
My total intake 30 bucks, Plus my time and boxing to go mail the box...
240 dollars of stuff and I make 30 dollars, No takers in 4 weeks,, One did say he wanted it but didn't have the money,
Another told me to wait , It been four weeks,,,, LOL,
Its sad ,
Mike

I’ve noticed what your talking about as well.. and to me after following airguns for 10+ years it doesn’t seem to be any of typical/ obvious reasons for something to not sell.

In my opinion it’s gotta be a reflection on our current economic state in the US..
as Im seeing the same thing on Facebook marketplace which I sell on frequently.. people just aren’t as willing to spend money as they were a year or two ago.
Times are definitely harder for most, although if you listen to the talking heads in charge they couldn’t be better 😁😂

I’ve noticed what your talking about as well.. and to me after following airguns for 10+ years it doesn’t seem to be any of typical/ obvious reasons for something to not sell.

In my opinion it’s gotta be a reflection on our current economic state in the US..
as Im seeing the same thing on Facebook marketplace which I sell on frequently.. people just aren’t as willing to spend money as they were a year or two ago.
Times are definitely harder for most, although if you listen to the talking heads in charge they couldn’t be better 😁😂
Exactly. My hobby money is almost nonexistent now. It's all going to food, gas and insurance rates that are climbing like I've never seen before.

Does any body else think that there should be a specific number of times you can renew an ad without changing the price? there are a couple of compressors that have been on for 6 months and a year with no change of terms. Come on.... close them and if they want to relist they can but I'm tired of them just taking up space.

Same here ... post pandemic has been a couple odd years no doubt. The fun monies put aside in that time has been spent playing and having a good time since. Going on Medicare 1st of the year so with the uncertainty of out of pocket expenses .... butt cheeks have tightened right up on the wallet.

Yea a LOT of stuff for sale and mostly top tier stuff too :oops:

yep!

Does any body else think that there should be a specific number of times you can renew an ad without changing the price? there are a couple of compressors that have been on for 6 months and a year with no change of terms. Come on.... close them and if they want to relist they can but I'm tired of them just taking up space.

Absolutely agree!

And the fewer times anyone could renew their ad, the more realistically they'd price stuff; and we'd all be better for it.

If someone wants to run an add and asks more for the thing he is selling than I think it is worth, what harm is it to me to let him run that ad and renew it as many times as he wants?

Honestly there seem to be a whole lot of people who think there should be a rule for this or a rule for that, until someone says we need a rule that impacts them personally.

Just my two.

If someone wants to run an add and asks more for the thing he is selling than I think it is worth, what harm is it to me to let him run that ad and renew it as many times as he wants?

Honestly there seem to be a whole lot of people who think there should be a rule for this or a rule for that, until someone says we need a rule that impacts them personally.

Just my two.
It is CALLED Fishing .....
When big fish won't hit a small bait, you Big Bait em !!
When No big fish are biting you offer smaller bait and catch smaller fish :cry:

Reactions: OldSpook
It is CALLED Fishing .....
When big fish won't hit a small bait, you Big Bait em !!
When No big fish are biting you offer smaller bait and catch smaller fish :cry:
Do we need a rule for that? Some folks aren't very good fishermen, some are. So what?

My fair asking price may not be the same as your idea of a fair asking price, I dont mind a PM asking me to accept a lower price, I'm flexible but the stupid drama of getting ugly PM's about being a "ripoff" artist etc are out of line.

I think it's all good but as already stated, perhaps drop your price if the "big fish" dont hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.