The Daystate Alpha Wolf has arrived!

And it's awesome!!

https://youtu.be/Y6Zv4qBrP1w

20220510_211804.1652358840.jpg

Screenshot_20220512-073038_Gallery.1652358799.jpg

Screenshot_20220503-201339_Gallery.1652358936.jpg

20220503_164224.1652358800.jpg

Interesting interview with Tony Belas on the Delta/Alpha Wolves:

1) Red Wolf design had been taken pretty much as far as it could be taken design-wise by Daystate;
2) Delta Wolf was developed to allow Daystate to take electronic gun control further;
3) Truly unfortunate that DW was launched right when COVID lockdowns hit. This (designers out of the office, etc.) slowed the continuing development of the DW platform for about a year after its launch;
4) In the last year, DW development had gotten back up to speed with improvements to the hardware & software, user capability to update firmware, etc.;
5) So now was the time to launch the Alpha Wolf, with all of the updates which had been implemented for DW (and are now available for older production DW's too);
6) AW is a "DW in different clothes";
7) While skeleton, 'black gun' style guns are the most popular format in the U.S. (according to Tony), they are not as popular in other markets (e.g.: UK), where more traditional looks are preferred. Hence the Delta Wolf was put into more traditional clothes, creating the Alpha Wolf.
8) Alpha Wolf, Delta Wolf and Red Wolf will be side-by-side-by-side in the range - none are going away. Most development efforts will be going into the AW and DW as the newest guns in the lineup. But hints given that maybe it is now time for a little more software development for the RW in the future.

I don't think that the cantilever scope mounting rail will be a real world issue. From a design and engineering perspective, cantilevers can be very strong & rigid. Why did Daystate use it? Likely for appearance. They also have plenty of experience with it from previous guns like Pulsar. It also will save just a little bit of weight.

I'm certain that folks will start designing and 3D printing a forward support post for the cantilever scope mount. And some of those will sell as some folks will convince themselves that they are necessary (and hey, it is another accessory I can buy and put on my airgun).

I do hope that Daystate eventually creates and sells a walnut stock for the AW (assuming that I will ever find the 'need' to have a $3,400 air gun). The red lam stocks are cool and all, but some like me actually prefer the little more conservative look of a less flashy wood stock.

The interview with Tony is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPswrWzmTDg

Ooo that's purdy!

What are your thoughts on the free floating scope rail?

I don't see rigidity there. The opposite actually!

It's a solid cantilever design. I didn't notice any flex when carrying it around by the scope or swinging it around in my video. Actually the picatinny rail on top of the full length dovetail rail is a favorite feature of mine.

-Michael

Same wolf with new dress, nothing change …. It doesnt have sense….

I've yet to do any long range shooting, but there is clearly a difference between the Red Wolf rifles and the newer bullpups. Besides the obvious length, both the Delta Wolf and the Alpha Wolf have an externally adjustable mechanical regulator that allows the electronics to focus on refinement instead of the massive pressures. I've been told they also have newer software, hardware, firmware, and a newly developed air stripper and integrated chronograph.

I'm curious what is it that makes you say "It doesn't have sense"? And are you speaking from experience? Let us know!

Cheers

-Michael

Looks like you could mount your scope to the dovetail using conventional rings and sell the cantilever for $500 to someone ;-p 

Wonder how that Smart Parts Skout air rifle project is coming along? In theory it should be out later this Summer and hopefully they take a page from paintball and drive the price of electronic controls down rather than up. 

Also wonder who else is working on electronically controlled air rifles? It does seem like the way forward and in 3-4 product cycles could become widespread. Certainly FX can't be ignoring these developments and the Eastern European and Korean guns can't be far behind. 

Looks like you could mount your scope to the dovetail using conventional rings and sell the cantilever for $500 to someone ;-p 

Wonder how that Smart Parts Skout air rifle project is coming along? In theory it should be out later this Summer and hopefully they take a page from paintball and drive the price of electronic controls down rather than up. 

Also wonder who else is working on electronically controlled air rifles? It does seem like the way forward and in 3-4 product cycles could become widespread. Certainly FX can't be ignoring these developments and the Eastern European and Korean guns can't be far behind.

Yes you could remove the picatinny riser and use a set of high dovetail rings!

Haven't heard anything from Skout lately.

I believe Daystate has a Patent on the electronics... but patents don't last forever! I think they're only good for 10 years?

Nice look to it… seems like you can buy the stock for the delta too. 

Only issue I can see is the price but seems you have to pay to play…

Yup, I bet it is at least $3000usd. Pretty, but the price keeps me from having either Red or Delta HP and a couple barrel kits. Just never going to be in that range. Nice to dream about Ferrari, but I'll never own one.

Yes you could remove the picatinny riser and use a set of high dovetail rings!

Haven't heard anything from Skout lately.

I believe Daystate has a Patent on the electronics... but patents don't last forever! I think they're only good for 10 years?

Typically patents run for between 14 and 20 years in the US. Utility patents (most common) run for 20 years from the filing date. Design patents run for 14 years from the date of issuance by the USPTO.

i see nothing other than a wood stock and scope rail big deal

That's because "you shot your eye out" and you're a sour airgunner and a FX fanboy. I didn't see you taking jabs at FX and all their paid promoters for the revolutionary heavy hammer polished block and accessories. I can't afford a Wolf or an Impact but that doesn't mean I'm going to talk trash about them. I don't care what brand it is innovation is good for airgunners.

PK