• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Daystate Alpha Wolf has arrived!

e

Mike - 

Thank you for that detail - it does open up a few other questions so I hope you don't mind - I think it would be beneficial to other new users.

Factory Settings - is there any way to add new ones, or add new projectiles? If not, I can see why most time will be spent in Advanced Mode.

Advanced Mode - how do you select speed? Is this speed set using a combination of Hammer Stroke, voltage and reg pressure?

One more - if you know this. Is the chrono just a chrono or does it feedback into the system. Meaning are the programs static or fluid and self adjusting to get to a specific pressure? I've had a RedWolf in the past, but that didn't have a reg so the MAP was around the input pressure.

First, the chrono only feeds back into the algorithm in the GCU when the gun is in Factory Mode. When in Advanced Mode, the chrono will display speed for each shot, but the gun functions more like the Red Wolf (although a more advanced GCU) and the chrono is display only.

So you need to set the Advanced Mode to three variables. Reg Pressure, Dwell (Hammer duration in micro seconds), and Voltage (Hammer strength). Then so generally if you start with one of the AoA pre-programmed Advanced mode setting, and its CLOSE to what you want, then adjust with Dwell Time. If its more than 5 or 6 FPS from where you want, adjust Voltage. Generally the gun functions best at the lowest pressure that will get you the speed you want with the ammo you want to use. I'd set the variables so you get near where you want to be, with the reg about 160 bar, then lower the reg pressure gradually until the gun will no longer sustain that speed, then bring it up 5 bar from there. 

In Factory Mode, the pre set choices are just to get you close. As far as I know you can't add new choices, but you just set it to the closest one to the actual ammo you want to use. The gun will take it from there. So if I were shooting .25 H&N 31 grain, I'd set the Factory mode to .25 cal, 34 grain, 23 inch barrel settings. The GUN (not you) chooses Dwell and Voltage, and your only variable is reg. pressure.

I've also got the best accuracy with lower Dwell and higher Voltage. Kinda like a short hard hammer strike than a long softer hammer strike. And my gun is set about 20 bar higher than the minimum pressure it'll shoot at the power I want because through trial and error, it likes that best. For example, my .25 shoots the King Heavy at 890 fps. Dwell at 3145 micro sec, Voltage at 83.5 vdc, and Reg at 155 bar. Coincidentally, it also shoots the NSA 29 grain HP DB slugs with the same settings at 940 fps, and is VERY accurate with both.

Hope that helps...

Mike

Congrats! Let's see it.

Alpha1 - 1.1652459778.jpeg

Beautiful, I'm sure you'll be very happy. 

Awesome information Mike - thank you. The is no factory program for the 10.34gr pellets and looks like the 1777 setting in advanced is set for 13.43gr pellets. 

I just went into the Advanced and setup a new program for 10.34s with the reg as it came and only dropping hammer strike (dwell). First try bringing it from 2300 down to 1600 with good results around 825 fps. Now I see how this is going to work. Setup an advanced program for projectile using a reg pressure set for the highest weight/speed projectile.

e

Mike - 

Thank you for that detail - it does open up a few other questions so I hope you don't mind - I think it would be beneficial to other new users.

Factory Settings - is there any way to add new ones, or add new projectiles? If not, I can see why most time will be spent in Advanced Mode.

Advanced Mode - how do you select speed? Is this speed set using a combination of Hammer Stroke, voltage and reg pressure?

One more - if you know this. Is the chrono just a chrono or does it feedback into the system. Meaning are the programs static or fluid and self adjusting to get to a specific pressure? I've had a RedWolf in the past, but that didn't have a reg so the MAP was around the input pressure.

First, the chrono only feeds back into the algorithm in the GCU when the gun is in Factory Mode. When in Advanced Mode, the chrono will display speed for each shot, but the gun functions more like the Red Wolf (although a more advanced GCU) and the chrono is display only.

So you need to set the Advanced Mode to three variables. Reg Pressure, Dwell (Hammer duration in micro seconds), and Voltage (Hammer strength). Then so generally if you start with one of the AoA pre-programmed Advanced mode setting, and its CLOSE to what you want, then adjust with Dwell Time. If its more than 5 or 6 FPS from where you want, adjust Voltage. Generally the gun functions best at the lowest pressure that will get you the speed you want with the ammo you want to use. I'd set the variables so you get near where you want to be, with the reg about 160 bar, then lower the reg pressure gradually until the gun will no longer sustain that speed, then bring it up 5 bar from there. 

In Factory Mode, the pre set choices are just to get you close. As far as I know you can't add new choices, but you just set it to the closest one to the actual ammo you want to use. The gun will take it from there. So if I were shooting .25 H&N 31 grain, I'd set the Factory mode to .25 cal, 34 grain, 23 inch barrel settings. The GUN (not you) chooses Dwell and Voltage, and your only variable is reg. pressure.

I've also got the best accuracy with lower Dwell and higher Voltage. Kinda like a short hard hammer strike than a long softer hammer strike. And my gun is set about 20 bar higher than the minimum pressure it'll shoot at the power I want because through trial and error, it likes that best. For example, my .25 shoots the King Heavy at 890 fps. Dwell at 3145 micro sec, Voltage at 83.5 vdc, and Reg at 155 bar. Coincidentally, it also shoots the NSA 29 grain HP DB slugs with the same settings at 940 fps, and is VERY accurate with both.

Hope that helps...

Mike

sure sounds fun to tinker with 

Let me get this straight in my mind, when in Factory Mode you pick a pellet weight and a velocity and the gun will find it.

You choose caliber, ammo weight, barrel length (17 or 23") and speed. The gun will do the rest. It is best to start at a higher reg. pressure (like 165 bar) since the gun doesn't set the reg. pressure, it just tells you what the pressure is, and what the pressure should be for MAXIMUM possible speed for that combination. You'll need to shoot a couple shots (from 3 to 5) to get the gun to adjust to your needs.

Thank you Centercut. I have a .177 23” coming and really have no idea what I’m getting into. It is going to be interesting to see how much better it is against my Wolverine R HP .177 that shoots just lights out.

Well I can't make any comparison to your Wolverine R as I've never shot one, but mine is shooting amazing at 12 yards. Can't wait to stretch it out this weekend.

The two Factory programs for .177 are for 13gr and higher - so they are pretty powerful settings. I spent last night in Advanced Mode testing some lower power setups shooting 10grs around 800-900 fps. At short distance the Crosman Premiere box are shooting incredible - I hope that sticks at longer distances.

Make sure to do a few pull throughs with a wipe on your barrel. Mine had a good amount of grease that came out on the first pull and then was clean by the 3rd.

Only one complaint which is the safety touches the top of my hand when on Fire.

Yes, I forgot to point that out. I don't feel like I have overly large hands (maybe they're kinda wide?) but I found the safety on the trigger finger side to be a little uncomfortable, so I removed it. I prefer to use the safety on my thumb side anyways.

-Michael

Only one complaint which is the safety touches the top of my hand when on Fire.

Yes, I forgot to point that out. I don't feel like I have overly large hands (maybe they're kinda wide?) but I found the safety on the trigger finger side to be a little uncomfortable, so I removed it. I prefer to use the safety on my thumb side anyways.

-Michael

Hahaha - i must have weird thumbs - they don't reach.

RigbymauserI haven't fixed any yet

my pulsar doesn't shoot better than my revere or better than my wolverin

I don't have to prove anything to anyon

strange thing that some Alfawol air gunners have before the distributors in Europ

It reminds me a lot of the marketing strategies of another brandeee

Welcome to the world of influencer marketing. FX has been doing this for years so it’s only natural for other brands to jump in. But how else are you going to have reviews ready for launch day if you don’t send product out in advance? At least the guns were available for purchase on day 1.

A Ferrari and a Ford Focus will both get you from point A to point B but each does it differently. It doesn’t make one better than the other. 

The electronics are an alternative solution to the mechanical tuning of other rifles. It also gives the benefit of an amazing trigger. Those differences might not be worth it to you, but that doesn’t make them bad. You come off as very bitter for some reason. 

I have had two Delta

the two went to the factory due to leaks

In addition, the inside of the gun was rusty, I already put photos a long time ago

they came like this from England and they tell me that my air is bad (they arrived without air and I could never fill it)

when I had one that contained air, it arrived with a damaged battery

I have machines with electronic management and they are incredibly good

I am not against electronics in weapons,

only that daystate is not offering a quality product what corresponds to the design what does it cost

RigbymauserI haven't fixed any yet

my pulsar doesn't shoot better than my revere or better than my wolverin

I don't have to prove anything to anyon

strange thing that some Alfawol air gunners have before the distributors in Europ

It reminds me a lot of the marketing strategies of another brandeee

Welcome to the world of influencer marketing. FX has been doing this for years so it’s only natural for other brands to jump in. But how else are you going to have reviews ready for launch day if you don’t send product out in advance? At least the guns were available for purchase on day 1.

A Ferrari and a Ford Focus will both get you from point A to point B but each does it differently. It doesn’t make one better than the other. 

The electronics are an alternative solution to the mechanical tuning of other rifles. It also gives the benefit of an amazing trigger. Those differences might not be worth it to you, but that doesn’t make them bad. You come off as very bitter for some reason.

Hmmmm…. I’m not an influencer. I don’t get special treatment. I ordered from AoA when it available for purchase on the website. 
sounds like Este is just a sour apple. 

I have had two Delta

the two went to the factory due to leaks

In addition, the inside of the gun was rusty, I already put photos a long time ago

they came like this from England and they tell me that my air is bad (they arrived without air and I could never fill it)

when I had one that contained air, it arrived with a damaged battery

I have machines with electronic management and they are incredibly good

I am not against electronics in weapons,

only that daystate is not offering a quality product what corresponds to the design what does it cost

I’m sorry you had issues with yours. There are bound to be problems with any manufactured product but what sets a company apart is now they stand behind their products. 

I have had minor issues with my Daystate and FX rifles over the years and the company or the dealer has always made it right.

A couple bad samples doesn’t mean an entire brand is trash. If that was the case, FX would have gone bankrupt after the Impact launch.

I'm not saying that daytate is a bad brand, I own three, PULSAR,22... WOLVERINE.25...HUTSMAN REVERE.22 very happy with all three and all very, very precise

I'm not against electronics in air guns, I HAVE ONE and very happy with it

I have completely disassembled a Delta wolf

the only thing that is good or very good: the trigger valve, the regulator and the barrel

If one day you have to completely disassemble the same thing, you will be disappointed

I'm just saying and it's my personal opinion after having had two and disassembled one, it's not worth the money they ask for

Let each one do what they really want