The Daystate 110v Compressor! Review and How-to!

Thanks Tom for taking the time make this video. I have the 220v, I like it and think it is a good value considering what is currently available. If I had the 110v unit I would want to know what my no load voltage and load voltage is and would have something like this voltmeter plugged in the same outlet or circuit: 

https://www.amazon.com/Eversame-80-300V-Voltmeter-Measuring-Household/dp/B015H0A3FO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dm55-1&qid=1557975313&s=gateway&sr=8-3

When I did my oil change I have a measuring cup that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Ratio-Rite-Measuring-Cup-does-come/dp/B000I1YLGK/ref=pd_cp_263_2?pd_rd_w=nfgGG&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=73E90V9EZX6M3BK7KJJ8&pd_rd_r=85f7eec7-7783-11e9-998e-fb353035c346&pd_rd_wg=0y5G7&pd_rd_i=B000I1YLGK&psc=1&refRID=73E90V9EZX6M3BK7KJJ8

From my oil change notes:

10.1 oz Coltri 750 syn. 

15mm open end wrench for oil vent cap

17mm socket + med. ext. for oil plug 

So if you go on the dive forums, the attitude appears to be that all compressors break and need to be rebuilt and that is just the way of life. That is valid, and similar can be said about basically every mechanical device, my questions are generally:
1) What is the average interval, in hours, between failures/rebuilds?
2) What is the parts cost/availability? 
3) What is the total cost to get a repair done by a 3rd party? 
4) What is the difficulty in servicing it yourself? 

To be clear, I'm DEFINITELY not advocating for a Yong Heng compressor (I own one and hate it), nor am I advocating against the Coltri (I don't own one, but have considered it). We really don't seem to have a lot of good data on how long one of these compressors is expected to run before it needs repair, what fails, and once you're out of the year long warranty period what is working on it going to cost you? I think a lot of people assume that, because of its cost and the fact that airgunners tend to use pretty little air as compared to, for example, divers I think there is a tacit assumption that the Coltri/Daystate will simply work "forever." I'm just trying to politely raise the point that, given a few conversations I've had, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't buy one of these compressors, or that they're bad value, or anything of the sort. I just don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion, and given the price of the compressor and how few units there are out there, I think we're going to need to wait a couple years to see how this all plays out to really know for sure. 

Am I being fair? I certainly hope I am/am trying to be. :)

You brought up some good points, I will add that I bought into it's a Coltri and there is repair facilities all over. Well when I called Nuvair:

https://www.nuvair.com/products/compressors

To inquire about parts, and when I mentioned that my Compressor was actually a Daystate labeled MCH6, the tone changed to a come to Jesus WE ARE THE ONLY AUTHORIZED IMPORTER OF THE MCH6! THESE DAYSTATE COMPRESSORS WERE BROUGHT IN THRU BACK CHANNELS. The person I talked to was pissed off over it and it was the end of discussion. 

Reactions: STO
Thanks for the nice review, as I was looking to buy a nicer compressor. However now I’m confused a little. I thought that all the 110 units, as per AOA’s website, were 3 stage units. In your last post it says 4 stage (video). Are you reporting that the new 110 units are now 4stage compressors? I’m just going off their website and it says, if I’m understanding it, that the 220V units are 4 stage. Thanks for any follow up.

I was a little confused as well, the word I remember was there was some kind of issue with the 4 stage units when they first came out and they reverted back to selling the 3 stage for awhile. 

It is my understanding that the new units have one more fail safe, with the one that Tom and I have, if one were to walk away and the safety blow off valve fails, I sure the hell would not want to be around to find out that outcome. 

120V here, MCH-3, it's 3 stage off a single phase motor. Mine is SN dated 2019 with a SN less than 10. Auto-shutoff at 4500 PSI, teapot blow-off at 4700 PSI.

I never considered doing a clamp on ammeter but that's a possibility.

Also one thing to consider, regardless of the distributor, there is a 2 year manufacturer warranty from Daystate on these.

So if you go on the dive forums, the attitude appears to be that all compressors break and need to be rebuilt and that is just the way of life. That is valid, and similar can be said about basically every mechanical device, my questions are generally:
1) What is the average interval, in hours, between failures/rebuilds?
2) What is the parts cost/availability? 
3) What is the total cost to get a repair done by a 3rd party? 
4) What is the difficulty in servicing it yourself? 

To be clear, I'm DEFINITELY not advocating for a Yong Heng compressor (I own one and hate it), nor am I advocating against the Coltri (I don't own one, but have considered it). We really don't seem to have a lot of good data on how long one of these compressors is expected to run before it needs repair, what fails, and once you're out of the year long warranty period what is working on it going to cost you? I think a lot of people assume that, because of its cost and the fact that airgunners tend to use pretty little air as compared to, for example, divers I think there is a tacit assumption that the Coltri/Daystate will simply work "forever." I'm just trying to politely raise the point that, given a few conversations I've had, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't buy one of these compressors, or that they're bad value, or anything of the sort. I just don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion, and given the price of the compressor and how few units there are out there, I think we're going to need to wait a couple years to see how this all plays out to really know for sure. 

Am I being fair? I certainly hope I am/am trying to be. :)

You brought up some good points, I will add that I bought into it's a Coltri and there is repair facilities all over. Well when I called Nuvair:

https://www.nuvair.com/products/compressors

To inquire about parts, and when I mentioned that my Compressor was actually a Daystate labeled MCH6, the tone changed to a come to Jesus WE ARE THE ONLY AUTHORIZED IMPORTER OF THE MCH6! THESE DAYSTATE COMPRESSORS WERE BROUGHT IN THRU BACK CHANNELS. The person I talked to was pissed off over it and it was the end of discussion.

You have GOT to be freaking kidding me. So the main US parts distributor and supplier A) says that these aren't a legitimate in the US market and B) won't sell you parts or service? Don't suppose you have that in written form? I'd almost want to send them an email to get all this in writing all official-like, because if it is true (and I don't have any reason to doubt you) that is a big non-starter for these compressors right there. :( 

*edit*
No offense intended Str8tshooter, but this is important enough I wanted it in writing from the horse's mouth so to speak. I sent Nuvair an email asking them about this issue, and I will report back with their official response. If this is true, an official company position rather than possibly a service rep "misspeaking" on the phone, people deserve to know about this! 

I encourage anyone to reach out to Nuvair, looking forward to the response you get. No I did not get this in writing and I can not remember the persons name I spoke too either. I can understand the importer being upset, but I would like to think there are plenty of dive shops that would not care to whom they sold parts too or the labeling of the MCH3/6.

Edit: The persons name that I spoke to at Nuvair is Mitch.

Hey everybody, thanks for flagging this topic. 

I think some of you are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. From what I recall Coltri manufactures their units in Italy right next door to Daystate. PAD (Precision Airgun Distribution) imports them under the brand Daystate for the airgun market, Nuvair imports them under the brand Nuvair for the scuba market. If you buy the unit from PAD then the warranty, parts, repair can all be done through them. Nuvair has no obligation to warranty or repair any Daystate branded Coltri compressors, just like PAD has no obligation to warranty or repair any Nuvair branded Coltri compressors.

I could be wrong - so I notified AoA of this topic and hopefully they'll chime in. 

Thanks for weighing in Michael! I had been under the same impression as Str8tshooter regarding parts and service, after all having to ship an 80 pound compressor back to PAD rather than being able to get parts and service from the much larger supply chain of the diving community is less than ideal. I certainly wouldn't have expected Nuvair to warranty it, but to refuse to sell you parts or allow you to pay them to service it is another thing entirely. This is really the basis of my concern, not the warranty, since one would hope this compressor will significantly outlive its warranty

One nitpick, if I may, is that my understanding is Nuvair sells Coltri and other branded compressors under their respective brands, not their own label. Their website copy certainly seems to indicate this as well at least in regard to the Coltris:
https://www.nuvair.com/products/compressors/hp/mch6-portable.html

I haven't yet heard back from Nuvair, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this shortly. :) 

*5.23.19 update*
I have not heard back from Nuvair at this time. Nothing in my spam filter, not a peep. *shrug* 

Great video, Tom... and thanks for looking into the warranty info, Michael.

I have ~9hrs on my LC110 and it’s been flawless. Did an oil change @ 5hrs and it was clean and looked new.

For those who are considering this unit, I highly recommend it. When researching compressors, I narrowed it down to 3. After some great advice from Humdinger & Centercut, it was an easy decision... 

I certainly wouldn't have expected Nuvair to warranty it, but to refuse to sell you parts or allow you to pay them to service it is another thing entirely. This is really the basis of my concern, not the warranty

I believe the scuba industry is larger than the airgun industry. But I'd wager that majority of the Nuvair sales are to dive shops instead of directly to consumers. Whereas PAD/AoA specifically target airgun consumers. 

One nitpick, if I may, is that my understanding is Nuvair sells Coltri and other branded compressors under their respective brands, not their own label. 

From the link you provided that appears to be the case.

I haven't yet heard back from Nuvair, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this shortly. :) 

Not sure what "bottom" you're looking for? Products are rebranded all the time (it easier, safer, and typically better than trying to reinvent the wheel). If you live near Nuvair then it's probably more convenient for you to buy (or have service/repair) done locally. If you don't live near Nuvair or AoA then I'd go with whomever offers the best pricing, warranty & shipping options. 😉

I've been using the MCH6 since 2015 and it's a beast! I've only had to replace 1 o-ring, oil change & filters. I've filled 4 large tanks from scratch, all subsequent fills over a 4 year period have been 3000-4500 psi. Coltri (or however its finally branded) makes a solid compressor.