The Curse of the hunt for coyote#8

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
This is a follow up with my coyote#8 adventure hunt. Unfortunately I missed again.

This is a long writeup, so grab a morning coffee and enjoy.
I tried to write it in this dialogue but it has 15000 character limit.

so please read the attached PDF file instead.

Thank you.

Happy New Year!

View attachment The Curse of the Coyote#8 Hunt.pdf

That was a tough couple of nights from the sounds of it! Good write up!
We all miss sometimes!
You will get it eventually.
Time away from hunting it might actually make it more confident in it's safety while eating there. That might make it easy when you get back there.
I missed my first shot I took at a deer this year. Put up my new stand and the next evening I had a perfect shot opportunity and I blew it. I shot low and destroyed a bolt. The only salvageable part was the lighted nock.
I can relate to your back pain. After my miss I had days of mostly motionless stand and ground hunting, all in the cold to get my deer, my back is toast!
Happy New Year and enjoy Maui!
I bet vacation will make your back feel better.

@AmosBurton. Thank you for reading my story and sharing yours as well. I have never done any deer or other hunting before. Coyotes were my largest predator hunt with my airguns. I can't imagine the adrenaline and difficulties it takes to hunt deer especially with a compound bow. I can feel your back pain lol. At least in my case, I was able to walk around and stretch inside the barn to get some relief while waiting for the coyote to show up. But 9 hours was a long time and crazy thing I did, lol.

Happy New Year and I will be back to target these coyotes again soon. My trail cam will keep me in the loop in my absence.

Cheers!

Max get a .35 and use these then you can go for a double lung shot and they won't go far. Head shots are never 100% as the head can move quickly and unexpectedly at any time. I had the same issues with coons, but have learned to stay clam, not get excited, take time to study their eating habits and movements before pulling the trigger to increase my chances of a good hit. Even then I may miss 10% of the time. I have the luxury knowing that the coons will stay at the bait station for a long time, many minutes and that if I don't get a shot I can wait for another day. They'll be back. Also I'm inside where it warm doing other things when my harbor freight alarm or web cam phone alarm lets me know when action is needed.

I was shooting rats but it was to time consuming. Only seeing one each night and the rats never stay still, always moving. I was lucky if it took me only 20 minute to kill one rat, waiting for the right time to take the shot. I found trapping much more time efficient.

1703896907364.png

@BlackICE. Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, it was very challenging to do head shots at these creature as they move around a lot unexpectedly. My mistake this time was anticipating it to keep its head down for 2-3 seconds just like it did before. I had committed with the shot but it was in the motion of pulling at the hide to get to the flesh. Just bad timing, lol. I will leave it alone for awhile and get back on it after my vacation. Cheers.

@Max115 Now I enjoyed that write-up as I can relate to several details that you documented. The negotiation with the wife tickled me. I literally laughed out loud at that part and a couple of others. Now I'm wondering about the coyotes behavior, particularly its apprehension. Do you think that they were uncomfortable coming in to feed considering that the farmer placed the carcass on top of the pile? Maybe the coyote considered the ease of access to food and was wary? Or did it appear that (s)he was worried about other animals encroaching upon his/her honey hole feeding spot? I've seen that wary behavior while feeding as well. I'm asking because of what you described when you saw them standing in the distance beyond 100 yards in an adjacent field. Do you think the winded you that night? Do you recall the direction that the wind was blowing that night?

This is a follow up with my coyote#8 adventure hunt. Unfortunately I missed again.

This is a long writeup, so grab a morning coffee and enjoy.
I tried to write it in this dialogue but it has 15000 character limit.

so please read the attached PDF file instead.

Thank you.

Happy New Year!

View attachment 419999
Hard Luck but a very interesting read. At what power (ftlbs) do you shoot coyotes with an air rifle and what gun were you using.

@Ezana4CE. Thank you for reading my story. Ya, the negotiation with the wife was a tough go around. I know she meant well and worried about my health, but darn it, only if I didn't have any time restriction, lol. I didn't blame her because the footage showed that there was nothing I could have done as the coyote was pulling at the hide instead of staying down to feed. It was just a very bad timing and wrong assumption on my part. It just didn't happen for me. But having said that, I would have taken a few moments longer if my setup wasn't changed and that I didn't have to do a free hand shot. Lots of what ifs, but oh well. Better luck next time.

I have thought about the body being tied down and left exposed on the top of the compose might have caused them to be warri. The first night when they were heard in the distance making some noises, I thought they had spotted me or smelled my scent. The wind was blowing towards me all night long so I didn't think that was the case. Perhaps they had watched or spotted me from distance when I was moving around behind the window 5 feet back. I really don't know. I retrieved my trail cam footages yesterday and found out they had returned around 6am that morning after I have left at 4:30am. I don't think they have found out where I was hiding because the trail cam footages never showed that they ever looked up at the window. I can only guess that they would be curious and wary at how or why the body was moved and left exposed and tied down. That didn't stop them from returning to feed on the next morning at 2:10am when I was there again.

@Telephoneepete. Thank you. I was using my FX Impact MK2 with 600mm slug A liner, shooting the H&N 25gr Gen2 slug at 967 fps, 52 ft.lb. So far I have tagged 7 coyotes all with my Impact, except my very first coyote#1 where I used my FX Crown 500mm shooting the JSB 18gr pellet with 32 ft.lb of energy. That shot was taken at 70 yards away. You can watch the video in my Youtube channel: Air Rifle Pestings. My Impact is my goto gun now as it has more power and I have tuned it for slugs shooting.