šŸ˜³ The CURSE of Success: Are you a victim?

Matthias,
Describes my situation exactly. There's a large lake a mile from my home with a huge crow colony, a portion of that laying claim to my neighborhood. Early morning raucous calling, raiding of songbird nests and emptying trash cans were just a few unwelcome habits they performed. Chased them for years with my Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, ending up more nuisance, than threat. Well, eighteen months and 6 PCPs later, they're all gone. Peaceful mornings, a healthy songbird population and litter-free surroundings are enjoyed by all. Truth be told, I kind of miss the hunt, a victim of my success. Good news, a few members of the lake crow colony have begun to wander my way, apparently young ones not listening to warnings from the old-timers. Me and my PCPs are ready to re-educate. WM

Reactions: SHOMER
If you eliminate all the animals you deem pests that pass through your backyard, why act surprised because they're now bypassing? Wasn't that the intent? In my backyard, because I give many critters a pass that aren't really pests to me? On any given day I can shoot Reds, Cottontails, Gray Squirrels... I do most of my pesting at a farm. And there's no way I can even put a dent in their numbers, just don't have the time. Like others have suggested leave some "seed stock". In the end those pests will be around for future pesters long after I'm gone...

Reactions: SHOMER
I just went and bought a bigger and better gun, so I could find playmates further out... šŸ˜Ž

That's got to be the best rationalization to buy a bigger and better gun.

Because it's true.

On a personal note:
ZedCee, I have no idea if you already have reached a ripe age ā€” but I am sure that you have attained to wisdom.
I like your approach. šŸ‘šŸ¼
Carry on. šŸ˜Š ā€”ā€” GO GET'EM!! šŸ˜„

Matthias

I drive a Hyster 280 (big yellow forklift) at work and one of my airguns always rides with me. Starlings and pigeons nest in the insulation inside our shops and do quite a bit of damage, so I do the owners a favor and take care of it for them šŸ˜Š! After two years of doing this every starling on the property high tails it when they see my lift coming by them lol. I manage to keep them out of the shops though. Itā€™s upsetting every spring after I get them thinned out, I mean how often do guys get to shoot flying rats while on the clock at work.

Beau

Reactions: JungleShooter
I live in a rural area that is surrounded by national forest. For eleven years I have put out bird/squirrel feeders and every year I shoot a few ā€œcorn fedā€ squirrels for the table. During our covid lock down here my daughter and son in law came to live with us. We ate squirrel a couple of times a month for ten months. Now there are no squirrels here. They are slowly returning but the survivors are very wary of my property.

On the flip side I have also been very successful eradicating Agkistrodon Pisciverous, the southern cotton mouth moccasin, from my fish ponds. Iā€™ve only killed one this year and I havenā€™t seen any since March.

Not sorry those ugly suckers are gone.

If you eliminate all the animals you deem pests that pass through your backyard, why act surprised because they're now bypassing? Wasn't that the intent? In my backyard, because I give many critters a pass that aren't really pests to me? On any given day I can shoot Reds, Cottontails, Gray Squirrels... I do most of my pesting at a farm. And there's no way I can even put a dent in their numbers, just don't have the time. Like others have suggested leave some "seed stock". In the end those pests will be around for future pesters long after I'm gone...

I think the surprise comes from really enjoying the hunting process. It's a mixture of losing one happiness (hunting) and gaining another (no yard pests, one less risk and annoyance). It's a bit of an apples for oranges trade-off.

Reactions: L.Leon
im pretty sure that finding a reason to slake the lust to kill something is a mental disorder .. at the very least it borderlines on just being evil ... 'permission' lol .. yeah somebody gave permission to just kill things like yay i can have fun killing lol ... i enjoy blowing something that is an actual pest to me apart though, dont get me wrong, but im not like oh woe is me theres nothing left to kill lol .. its good riddance and hope i dont have to again for awhile ..

then theres hunting to eat, and with the price of meat i can kinda see that, but then i look around at the 10k$ setup and im like yeah .. not really buying your chunky rear is going hungry lol .. once again just looking for an excuse to kill something like thats fun .. kinda scary .. i know one thing, i wouldnt want to be cornered by that type in a wrol situation .. im sure 'the fun' would be coming down on me in short order ..

oh i'm not looking to satisfy a blood lust or some other urge to kill. the buddies around here on the farms lands come out to play and i convinced some to play "William Tell" with me... i'm just not a very good shot. the apples fair far better. how's that saying go... practice makes perfect? šŸ˜

Last edited by a moderator: