The Coyotes are infiltrating and I need to take action

BOB the slug hit him , it made a loud thud he made 1 yelp and fell over yes , I saw him down i thought it was on film for here I forgot SD card .I think they ate him over nite , Today I put out a coconut at identical shot and took 1 shot it hit the coconut and went threw it and went into ground and it exactly where I aimed , I will leave on the motion senor alarms to nite , and see if this one being taken out will detour others , if not I am taking them all out every time my alarm goes off , if they this close to house they got to go . I am not baiting them I do see exactly their trail , I walked tracks today over 1 mile I also see a crest they bed down on , they over look from a ridge , I did notice many like bird feathers in woods and yard everywhere , I am not sue if this is them or the feral cats , I did spot 1 chicken slaughtered last nite around my pond , I saw it earlier yesterday , and figured it was a neighbors who grow them and , I guess he diced to walk 100 yards to my pond and something got him too , everything here is seeming to be disappearing .like chickens rabbits , I haven't even seen any turkeys ,

I also had many raccoons here doing ciaos in my yard and all of a sudden I do not see even one , not sure if they lay low in cold or they became coyote meals , I told my friend I took out 1 he told me they will eat him and turkey vultures will finish off rest with in 24 hrs but he was gone in 6 hours ,

Wow you did great getting one without using bait. Those alarms have a limited detection range so is you don't know their path you are unlikely to trigger the alarm. There aren't any shortages of coyotes. So I would say you are too kind. I would bait and eliminated all that I could until bait no longer worked because they either wised up or were all eliminated.

I'm brand new to the forum here and have been shooting coyotes in my rural backyard property for a few years now. I used my .223 AR for awhile but didn't want to upset neighbors too much. Most don't care because they knew I was getting rid of the coyotes, but nobody cares to hear gunfire at 2:00 AM. I bought an Airforce Texan .308 with a shroud, but what I have found is that unless it is a head shot I am never able to recover them. They will die with a shot to the vitals, but they run too far generally for me to recover them (that is why I am selling my .308 Texan). I skin them and sell the fur. As for my method, there are a few keys- bait, motion detectors, and night vision equipment. I am a deer hunter, so during deer season I use the scraps from the deer that I butcher. I will also use road kill deer as bait. I will stake them down so the coyotes can't drag them away. I have three sensors set up so no matter what direction they come in from they should trigger my motion detector (motion detector is actually a watch that I wear that receives the signals from my three motion detectors- Olymbros is the brand. There are of course false alarms (deer, rabbits, etc). But as long as I have bait they will always come around. The smart ones don't come around until well after midnight, while I am sleeping (I'm hard core, but not hard core enough to sit out all night scanning with my thermal). The 3rd and most expensive component is the night vision gear. I use a thermal monocular for scanning, and have an Armasight night vision device that clips on in front of my scope. I also hunt coyotes using an electronic caller but that is another ball game. The thermal scanner is important because even if they trip that motion sensor the smart ones won't go right for the pile. They will dart in and out a number of times to check out the area. I basically just keep my gun right next to the door ready to go and when that alarm is tripped I walk out very quietly through my garage where my Primos tall tripod is set up on my driveway and I have a clear shot around the bait site. I am hoping that the Umarex Hammer will be released soon so that I can have more knockdown power from an air rifle that is shrouded. Even using my .223 AR with a 55gr Hornady V max bullet, they can still run on me with a shot to the vitals, just like a deer. They will drop but it's a question of how far they can go before they go down. I would say it is a 50/50 mix- half go down on impact and half run for a certain distance. I can usually find them when I shoot them with my .223 because I have a huge field behind my house, but occasionally they will make it to the woods (can sometimes find them with my thermal, but I don't put a huge amount of effort into tracking a coyote like I would a deer.

Very interesting .Dobeman . Like you I hunt squirrels small game and deer , I never night hunted but I have to now , My neighbors dog almost got eaten last night i scared one away , while he was outside , I am using a $400 might vision which I am see 200 yards easy gen 4 nv , I have 2 sensors going the way 90 percent come n from , I so wish I can brak out my 6.5 ruger precision or my Sako 22-250 but neighbors I cant , I know the 308 texan ideal ,as it is 300fpe with a 154 gr I dont have one , I figured the texan is too much gun for back yard here and in my state they not legal to hunt on state land .

I am amazed they can still run with your texan , I guess I am used to hitting them with 1800fpe or so with powder burners , I cant do it here , but I need to take these out ,

I did try something different I put out a turkey decoy on a stake and put a can of sardines in it 60 yards away and guess what they wanted no part of it lol hmm ,

My buggest concern i to hit one and he yelps and wakes neighbors up , this is why I figured a head shot shuts down his ability to make noise , I have seen some u tubes where they run in circles and howl , In past when I shot them with my 22-250 or larger calibers it blows them apart with a pcp 80fpe gun it does not , I may try a body shot on one to see , but being they so close and I am 30 feet above them I may try to take a brain stem shot to sever the spine from brain and shut them down instantly

what is anyones thought on a brain stem shot ?

Honestly, I have never heard one yelp once when I have shot it. And I doubt the yelp would really cause much of a disturbance in the neighborhood. The howling of the coyotes is much louder than a yelp would be. Like I said however, I have never heard one make a sound at all when I have shot them. Head shots are ideal, but their heads tend to do a lot of moving, and with an air rifle that small amount of time could be significant. I know my Texan shoots about 950 fps with a 115gr bullet vs. my .223 at about 3000fps with a 55gr bullet. In theory, they could hear the snap of the air rifle before they are hit. I wouldn't compare it to a deer jumping the string on a bow (which has happened to me more often than I would like), but in theory it's possible for that coyote to move at the sound of the shot being fired, which is another reason to use a suppressor on the air gun if possible.

Critical update war footage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titus and I were on Coyote patrol when He spotted the one who got him , while I saw another one of his comrads in the heavy brush , I saw the white of his eyes , Titus gave the command to take out his enemy and he estimated it to be 68 yards so he said hold .3 mils up and .2 mils for wind and I said ok I will wait for you to tell me to send it , I then saw the second one came into a area with no brush , at same instant Titus said send it . I carefully squeezed the trigger on the ED-Gun R5 super long with my 52 grain slug at 854 fps , Titus directed me to take a lung shot as it may be a busy nite , I squeezed trigger and quickly inserted another slug and I put the other one threw the face of the second one at 50 yards , here is the footage of the aftermath , I will check for video after the battle has finished , Titus is dragging the 48 pounder out of the battle field .

1548641013_7787016725c4e62f5870f85.60849528_0127192019b_resized.jpg
1548641014_14807093245c4e62f645c771.98344546_0127192019a_resized.jpg
1548641014_11670776125c4e62f6e9e4d8.90223093_0127192019_resized.jpg
1548641015_1332787955c4e62f75b7b12.87067696_0127192020_resized.jpg

Awesome shot. The head shots are the toughest by far, but they are the money shots when it comes to certain/quick death. And 48lbs is a big coyote. Enjoy the action while it lasts. They will learn very quickly to stay the hell out of there, at least at the time you are up and taking shots at them. Your dog will be much safer very quickly. I have found that after I shoot one or two (if I'm real lucky 3) they don't come around for a week or so and then they come in during those early morning hours. Right now where I'm at in IL we have gotten quite a bit of snow and it is brutally cold so they are more desperate and they know I have food for them so I'm hoping to get a shot at one before 10PM tonight. We had another winter storm last night with high winds and snow so they probably didn't do much hunting. Anyway, good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

yes my edgun R5 super long is very very quiet , like a low powered .22 pcp gun , I did not shoot that other one as it was not in my yard , I am sorry for such a poor you tube I have to learn how to edit and narrate it , LOU

BTW I just skinned this one and the slug passed thew the vitals on a frontal shot and was resting in the skin under his stomach it blew outhis lungs , heart ,boy that 52 gr slug did massive damage and it a great hunting slug this one was 48 pounds before I skinned him ,

The leder has black tipped tail and is was bigger he must be like 55 or so , How big do these suckers get ??????