The compressor debate...

Actually there is nothing to debate IMO. I'm all for buying top quality stuff when you can afford it (that's why I have a $2k setup for plinking out the back door lol) but not everyone needs or can afford a really nice compressor. I was hand pumping but got tired of it so I decided to try a yong heng-ish (vevor) compressor. I got one for about $200 and it has been filling my guns for over a year now with some tinkering. It could quit right now and I'd happily buy another. Maybe if you compete, hunt or shoot a whole lot than a quality compressor is the way to go but the cheapos have a place too. Like someone said in a previous thread (sorry I forget who), at least we have options. The Chinese compressors won't work for everybody I know that but for me it does the trick! To say that a Yong Heng is a bad investment is a bit of a stretch I think, there are plenty that get on just fine with them.

Obviously a Daystate compressor is a hell of a lot nicer than a Yong Heng just like the FX Impact is nicer than a Benjamin Discovery right? There is a case to made for both being useful, just depends on who is using it and why! Long live the Disco!😉

Reactions: JimNM
Good point.

Funny you mention that...

As a matter of fact,

I bought 2 more Discoveries just last week.

One is a Mac1.

It is my second Mac1 Discovery.

I have eight Discoverys now. 

1 is broken though. Never got around to fixing it

, the cocking handle snapped off and have to tap and die it out

and its out of warranty already.

Looking to buy a 12fpe 177 Maximus too.

NO KIDDING!

I like several Chinese airguns as well as

Chinese accessories such as scopes too.

I had an Omega Supercharger which was

Chinese but I would strongly recommend buying the Daystate Coltri

in stead for just a little more money.

CA

Obviously a Daystate compressor is a hell of a lot nicer than a Yong Heng just like the FX Impact is nicer than a Benjamin Discovery right? There is a case to made for both being useful, just depends on who is using it and why! Long live the Disco!
1f609.svg

I seem to see a great many more "my fx is busted" threads on here then I do disco is busted threads, do you think the higher priced item sells more....doubt it.

Perhaps it just works better and sheeple are buying the name,

this thread will be locked as well very soon, the people that spend big bucks on stuff that is no "better" then "cheap" stuff can not take it.

Long live the snobbery.

There is a tendency for all of us to think that our way is the best. I'm as guilty as any. The REAL problem is to determine what is the best for your individual needs. That requires an open and frank discussion concerning the pros and cons on the guns and accessories . If something is said that is critical of the gun you just bought or the compressor there is the human tendency to take that as a criticism of our judgement for buying that particular item.

BUT if we aren't honest in our reporting or opinions we aren't helping each other are we. 

I'd rather opinions be clearly stated and let the reader place value on what had been said

As an example the down side to the Chinese compressors for me is the need for water cooling . I have no doubt that in the short order the price of compressors will become more in line and it does make sense to buy the cheaper compressor figuring if it lasts a year or two there will be better options 

NOW the Chinese scopes in my opinion are very much worth considering. And they range in price just like the US made stuff. I bought a Athlon Helos scope recently and it is nether inexpensive or poorly made. Just because it's made in china you does not mean it's junk. 

These Chinese compressors and the Airguns need to be given a fair evaluation. And my guess is that given time they will be the equal to the rest . They also will be priced accordingly. I guess I'm saying its s global economy .

Call it as you see it and no one need take offense . 

Reactions: Tweeter and JimNM
Another point. There are people of all means on the forum. If you are unable to buy expensive equipment and need to make do or if you just plain don't want to spend the money that's certainly understandable. It also works in reverse if a member has the bucks or makes it his priority to buy top dollar stuff those that can not or choose not to should at the least be glad for that individuals situation.

Just because I can't own a Ferrari car doesn't mean I am not interested in learning about it nor do I feel that because I can't have one does not mean you should not. 

Let's keep the conversations open honest and let the opinions be clearly expressed . No one need have feeling hurt. 

Because a fellow has good fortune does not mean he's a snob. 

Reactions: sonny
It is easy to loose perspective. I sometimes forget that even though we all share a love of airguns, that is why we are here..., We all have different motivations and circumstances. I am guilty of this failure, as I am human.

I am even wrong (2x a day is about average) and that I can admit amongst strangers and friends, equally.

When the Nomad/Traveller was introduced, I doubted that it would be worthy based on my prior experience with 12-24v electric systems and their associated heat vs. work issues. I come from the R/C airplane hobby and there is very little room for error when a failure results in a spectacular crash and rebuild/replace sequence.

Well, I now own a Traveller pump and am quite happy with it. I was wrong in my opinion, I learned and now my experience is here for anyone who wants to learn from it.

I do try to stay away from blanket statements, as broad brush judgment has proven to be less than reliable IN MY EXPERIENCE (your milage may vary). We all have our opinions, and those are like bellybuttons....everyone else's smells funny 😁

Shoot'em good, guys. We are a brotherhood.

"like bellybuttons….everyone else's smells funny"

Fascinating JIM...

Now you got me REALLY THINKING....

I had no idea...really... mine doesn't have any smell...

just tried smelling it for the very first time...hmmmm...

Can you suggest a tactful way for me to approach others

to ask if I could smell theirs because now

I am curious as heck to find out

what a funny smelling bellybutton

really smells like...

AND do they all smell the same???

Are some funnier than others???

CA

I do try to stay away from blanket statements, as broad brush judgment has proven to be less than reliable IN MY EXPERIENCE (your milage may vary). We all have our opinions, and those are like bellybuttons....everyone else's smells funny
1f601.svg

Shoot'em good, guys. We are a brotherhood.

Since you put it that way I may reconsider doing body shots out of hot girls bellybuttons..... No wait, I’ll still do it😜

You never need to justify your choices for anything. If the cheap compressors work for you then by all means get one. I can sense some elitistism from some airgunners when it comes to equipment, guns, scopes, compressors, and other gear. Me personally, I have high end and budget PCPs and I enjoy all of them. I chose to get a heavy duty compressor because at the time I got it, there was not all the many low cost options available. There were a few, but it seemed like people were having all kinds of issues once they broke. As far as scopes, I don't believe high end scopes are necessary for airguns. I use holdove/under so I don't really worry about tracking in a scope. If it holds zero and I can see clearly out to 150-200 yards, that's good for me.

Reactions: JimNM and Tweeter
You never need to justify your choices for anything. If the cheap compressors work for you then by all means get one. I can sense some elitistism from some airgunners when it comes to equipment, guns, scopes, compressors, and other gear. Me personally, I have high end and budget PCPs and I enjoy all of them. I chose to get a heavy duty compressor because at the time I got it, there was not all the many low cost options available. There were a few, but it seemed like people were having all kinds of issues once they broke. As far as scopes, I don't believe high end scopes are necessary for airguns. I use holdove/under so I don't really worry about tracking in a scope. If it holds zero and I can see clearly out to 150-200 yards, that's good for me.

So many do, and there are threads upon threads here and on other forums to prove that case....the poster child for the starting of this thread is a perfect example. Someone that had no first hand experience with a given product starts off saying it will not work.....then goes on to "justify" why he did what he did.

Personally I know I come across as a huge type AH. But don't bad mouth something you never used. If you did use it state your experience with it. Years ago I treated myself to an 8 series BMW. I had nothing but bad luck with it, and am pretty anti BMW now, and will state my experience 30 years ago....yea things have changed, but it sticks in my brain and I will "bash" them any chance I get. Also not a Ruger fan and I really hate the 10/22 same reasons....and I state those reasons and my experience with them.

Difference is I have first hand dealings with them, you can tell many people that bash a product do not....they just dog pile on to be part of the kool kids.

The air gun hobby.....HOBBY FOLKS....has got to be the most elitist bunch I have ever come across, and it is not just on the forums, it is everywhere. Came across a guy at the club with a daystate shooting at 25 yards, the wife has one air rifle she bought, one of those Egyptian trainers....for some reason she just loves that thing and she can hardly cock the thing. It also has to weigh 10lbs. And she was putting up groups that where just too close to his for him to stand. She offered to let him try hers and he just huffed and left. This was not a penis swinging contest (she does not have one) she was trying to be friendly but that beat to hell thing just could not shoot as well as his, just not possible.

The snobbery exists here more so then in the fire arm world, and I really think it is the costs of the "good stuff" that does it....as long as it is around we will be a very divided community never to come together.

OK Guys and Gals...I have been airgunning for five years. I have been using a nitrogen tank for the last three years out here in west Texas and am now considering a compressor. I am a 2 1/2 hour drive to the nearest dive shop so filling there is not reasonable.So I started lookin in on this topic and OMG I have not encountered so much "agnst" on a topic in a long while as I am seeing here regarding compressors "inexpensive and expensive". Please remember we are all in this "hobby" for a myriad of reasons, but I betcha most of us are here because it's FUN !! Try and hang onto that and let's all "chill" a little bit! Oh....and since it's that time of the year....Merry Christmas, Happy Haunkka, Happy Holidays !! 

And you should read every word of it. Lot's of different opinions and unfortunately not all opinions are fact. There is also a lot of opinion on compressors on the GTA site. If you think you want to buy a compressor, read everything you can on every venue you can find about as many different compressors as possible and make the best decision for yourself based on your needs and your budget. Lots of choices out there.