The common myna bird

Hi everyone, I'm pretty sure some of you heard the name of this bird before, common myna or Indian myna... So they've actually migrated to my country and now are posing a major threat to the local wildlife. I've witnessed them with my own eyes destroying a speckled bulbul birds nests and destroying their eggs. That being said they're a massive pest here and the government has allowed the use of low powered airguns to shoot them in urban areas. I already plan on taking them down really soon since I'm also not fond of their annoying voice every morning. Has anyone have experience with them? I think they're related to starlings! 

They're a huge pest in here in South Africa as well as places like Australia. They're really horrible birds and similar but worse than European starlings in my opinion.

I and most people I know shoot them every chance we get. They are very smart though and catch on quickly, avoiding areas that their pals get shot. They also tend to spend a lot of time on sidewalks etc in heavily urbanized areas where it is difficult to shoot them safely due to lots of people and cars being around. 

Bottom line is they can be challenging to hunt and are almost impossible to eliminate. Nothing quite as satisfying to smack with an airgun though. Also, they are always in pairs and you can generally get the mate as well if you are patient, as they will come investgate what happened.

@riazp I think you mean starling/sturnidae family 👍🏻😄

Member of the crow family, highly intelligent as far as birds go, tend to pair with a mate, so be on the lookout for the follow-up...

They are challenging targets, worthy of respect, anything past 75 meters is a good shot in my books! They get a bad reputation wherever they seem to go...

I envy your position!

I've been able to come as close as 10 meters! they sure aren't afriad so shooting them would be a piece of cake.

Member of the crow family, highly intelligent as far as birds go, tend to pair with a mate, so be on the lookout for the follow-up...

They are challenging targets, worthy of respect, anything past 75 meters is a good shot in my books! They get a bad reputation wherever they seem to go...

I envy your position!

I've been able to come as close as 10 meters! they sure aren't afriad so shooting them would be a piece of cake.

For now! 😆

G’day I live in rural Queensland in Australia and these birds are a bloody pest. They have infiltrated suburban ares and nest in the forks of fronds in various palm trees. The further west you go they can be seen in groups of 10 or more feeding on the side of the roads and in paddocks.

They are easy to shoot the first time as I have shot them as close as 30 meters, but don’t miss its mate as the next time they will be sitting at 40 or so metres. If you keep getting the pair you will eventually eradicate them from your area but be on the lookout as others keep moving in.

Gary