The big question. Crown barrel on Impact

I am wondering if anyone who has a Crown can verify if the barrel is a direct swap to a Impact. This will be a huge deciding factor for me on buying one or just getting a barrel set-up for my Impact.

I know there may be a chance of a Impact kit but for now I am trying to determine if the swap is possible. We can safely guess Impact barrel kits if offered would be pretty far down the pipe. Thanks

Everything I've seen and read would suggest it will slide in and fit the impact. The way it is fastened is different. The Crown has 2 bolts from above that don't need a divot or indentation to go into. The impact has the 1 screw from the side that does locate into a indentation. 
It shouldnt be difficult to modify the crown barrel by machining the indentation for the locking screw. 
The brass receiver on the end of the barrel looks identical. 
The last 40mm of the impact barrel is reduced from 14mm to 13.5mm 
The silver band in front of the brass receiver needs to measure 13.5mm OD
Thats what we need to know to be 100%
Or can someone just try one!!! 

Borrowing this picture from Tom. The copper part looks identical to Impact.

ddcd2ac3875d4787c1fe523158d8957d.jpg

"AirSupply"Everything I've seen and read would suggest it will slide in and fit the impact. The way it is fastened is different. The Crown has 2 bolts from above that don't need a divot or indentation to go into. The impact has the 1 screw from the side that does locate into a indentation. 

Exactly right.
Unfortunately, I'm at work for the next 2 days or I'd get a quick measurement for you. I'll look into it on Sunday if no one else posts the size. 
T

I appreciate all the responses. I do have a quality metal lathe and a knee mill so fitting should not be a issue as long as the barrel is larger diameter and or longer where it needs to be to fit a impact. I figured guys with first hand knowledge could help.

I'm sure its going to be easier/quicker to try to get a Crown barrel assembly vs waiting for Impact kits if they ever get made. Canadian dealer told me they are still a few months out to even get a Crown.

I doubt that you would even be able to purchase a Crown barrel in the near future, even if it would fit an Impact. I would definitely expect to see Smooth Twist X barrels for the Impact once the Crown production rush is caught up. My new Impact's barrel is a multi piece unit that has an inner liner similar to the one the Crown uses, however It does not have wrench flats to disassemble the shroud like the Crown barrel.

I don't believe my new Impact's barrel is an X version since it only has rifling in the last 2-3". I was just saying that my Impact barrel is similar in construction to the Crown barrel, in the way that it has a liner installed in a two piece sleeve with a brass breach section. The biggest difference I can see is My Impact barrel does not have any wrench flats on the outside.

I wonder if the barrel liner in the stock Impact barrel is replaceable? If not I am sure the X barrels will be available as replacements since they are virtually identical except for a full length rifled liner and external wrench flats on the barrel sleeve to allow for disassembly to change the sleeves.

Mike Im sure you have a normal smooth twist barrel. They machine down the last few inches of the barrel and the rifling is pressed into that section. It then has a cap that covers that last rifled section. 
From the end it can look like a liner but it isn't. 
It is hard to see where the cap finishes and the barrel begins but if you look closely you should find a fine line. 

"AirSupply"Mike Im sure you have a normal smooth twist barrel. They machine down the last few inches of the barrel and the rifling is pressed into that section. It then has a cap that covers that last rifled section. 
From the end it can look like a liner but it isn't. 
It is hard to see where the cap finishes and the barrel begins but if you look closely you should find a fine line. 
Thanks, that makes sense. 

I still doubt we would be able to buy a Crown barrel to retrofit due to current production demand. When the X version is available for the Impact I will definitely order one.

I had spoke to Johan at FX back in March before I ordered my Crown and was told that the Crown barrel will work ok in the Impact.
here is what he told me

The crown barrel is compatible with the Impact, so you can use your crown barrels on your impact and impact barrels on your crown.

However, it will take some time before we start selling the Smoothtwist X barrels to the impact (I would guestimate to about the later part of the year.)

Best regards Johan

Reactions: FukoChan