• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Best Long Range Rifle Scopes of 2023

Which one do you choose, because I really love the vortex. I have old scope nikon p7 but still work great. Just want to get different one lol
I have a Leica Spotting Scope that is pretty amazing, so if money was not a factor, Leica. I am intrigued by the price point of the Bushnell, would enjoy being able to visit a Optics store and do some hands and eyes on comparisons.

Reactions: ethannguyen1991
It'd take a lot of time, money, or donations in scopes, to do an extensive test of all the decent ones on up to tier1 scopes.

Comes down to feature preferences, budget, and what the purchaser "see's" when using the scope.

I'd go help in such a test for free, lol!!!

In his dusk or dawn comparison the Zeiss 6-24×72 would have been at the top.
I could say other things about other scopes both positive and negative but some might not agree.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
It's true that it is not possible to get all the different brands and models in test. But the few last mentioned ( Zeiss LPR, ZCO and Tangent Theta ) are quite new models ( at least ZCO & LPR) and developed for long distance / range shooting. That's why I would have expected them to have been in the test.
That Zeiss with 72mm lens is more like a hunting scope. And been on market for quite long time IMHO

You might search for Matthias (Jungleshooter) here on AGN. He has assembled an excellent list of scopes along with their pros/cons. Although it is likely a few years old now (not sure that he updates?), it is still a great resource.

Yupp, I'm still updating my Scope Specs Tables. Currently I'm on edition no. 159. 😉

And I really enjoyed reading the test, thank you so much, Str8shooter! 👍

As I slide further down the rabbit hole of your wonderful hobby, I have left the former $500 price limit behind and expanded the list to scopes above that price limit.

I am staying true to the 10y min. parallax requirement as my shots are often close, and as my scope cam cannot do anything with out of focus footage.

I have added a few more scopes with 15y parallax, just because it's still pretty close, and often (like the Riton 7 and several others) 15y on the parallax turret is in reality 11y.

Find below attached the Specs Table for 6-24x and related magnification ranges: 4-24x | 5-30x | 4-20x | 5-25x

Matthias

❌ Attachment:

Scope Specs Table 6-24x (5-25x) or 5-30x or 4-20x

View attachment SCOPE Specs Table. For 6-24x (5-25x) or 5-30x or 4-20x.pdf

Last edited:
I have read the Athlon Cronus is a highly rated Scope?
It's pretty good but more like lower end of tier2 because it lacks some of the features of the newer generation scopes.

There will be a G3 Cronus next year and it should be more evenly competitive with upper tier2 scopes.
It's true that it is not possible to get all the different brands and models in test. But the few last mentioned ( Zeiss LPR, ZCO and Tangent Theta ) are quite new models ( at least ZCO & LPR) and developed for long distance / range shooting. That's why I would have expected them to have been in the test.
That Zeiss with 72mm lens is more like a hunting scope. And been on market for quite long time IMHO
Yep the 72mm is a bit dated and aimed towards hunting in poor lighting.
Been around two of them that friends have. One of them used his for long range but back then there weren't as many choices like we have now.
Still awesome scopes.

It's pretty good but more like lower end of tier2 because it lacks some of the features of the newer generation scopes.

There will be a G3 Cronus next year and it should be more evenly competitive with upper tier2 scopes.

Yep the 72mm is a bit dated and aimed towards hunting in poor lighting.
Been around two of them that friends have. One of them used his for long range but back then there weren't as many choices like we have now.
Still awesome scopes.
So where does the Razor 3 fall? Upper 2nd tier I’d imagine?

Yes, on that same note from Scotty:

🔸Steve,
where does your Vector Continental 5-30x56 FFP fall in the the tiers?
(this one has 10y parallax, unlike the Bushnell Match Pro).
And: How is the cromatic aberration of yours?

🔹I'm seeing my wishlist scope, the Riton Conquer 7 4-32x56 FFP only getting a mediocre score. I'm a bit disappointed at that.... 😟

Thanks,
Matthias

Yes, on that same note from Scotty:

🔸Steve,
where does your Vector Continental 5-30x56 FFP fall in the the tiers?
(this one has 10y parallax, unlike the Bushnell Match Pro).
And: How is the cromatic aberration of yours?

🔹I'm seeing my wishlist scope, the Riton Conquer 7 4-32x56 FFP only getting a mediocre score. I'm a bit disappointed at that.... 😟

Thanks,
Matthias

I think its about in there with the Helos G2 but with a tad less IQ and turrets not as distinct. Mine doesn't show any CA that has been noticeable to me.

Do you happen to know if there is a G2 Vector Continental 5-30x56 yet? I'm almost thinking of sending mine back for replacement because I'd get odd flyers with it on my FT rifle but haven't had one yet with my ETR 15-60x56 on that rifle.

I haven't seen that Riton. Only some of the older models at the Shotshow years ago.

Thank you, Steve, that was helpful. 😊

I have not heard of a Gen. 2 of the Continental series, I just was on the Vector webpage last week.

When I point my Continental 5-30x56 against the gray sky with some pipes or cables in the image, they all get purple outlines. That is what chromatic aberration is, right?
Before scope-camming I was never bothered by that. Not anymore.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Matthias

Last edited: