The Best Caliber for Hunting Small Game with an Air Rifle?

EMrider,

thanks for the explanation. 👍🏼
Yes, I see your point about the trajectory and the point blank range being much broader with a 12FPE .177 than with a 12FPE .22! 👍🏼

And that is precisely my situation — even though I'm looking at a PCP, not a springer — I'm looking at a PCP with a really short barrel, and that on top of that needs to be quiet (without adding a foot-long can).
So, your comments are helping me to stop shunning the .177....! 😄 It's got some important advantages over .22 in certain guns and shooting scenarios like the one I'm anticipating. 👍🏼

Matthias

EMrider,

thanks for the explanation. 👍🏼
Yes, I see your point about the trajectory and the point blank range being much broader with a 12FPE .177 than with a 12FPE .22! 👍🏼

And that is precisely my situation — even though I'm looking at a PCP, not a springer — I'm looking at a PCP with a really short barrel, and that on top of that needs to be quiet (without adding a foot-long can).
So, your comments are helping me to stop shunning the .177....! 😄 It's got some important advantages over .22 in certain guns and shooting scenarios like the one I'm anticipating. 👍🏼

Matthias
Just curious what PCP you are considering? I get the importance of a short and quiet gun, especially for hunting. In .177 there are JSB pellets from 7.3gr to 13gr that deliver good accuracy. I use 8.4gr and 10.3gr JSBs most often.
R

Just curious what PCP you are considering? I get the importance of a short and quiet gun, especially for hunting.
R

I have been looking at PCP pistols:
• Ataman AP16
• Artemis PP750

And short barreled FSR's (folding stock rifles):
• FX DreamTact Compact

I really don't like how the tiny .177 pellets handle, and I don't like their low BC.
But for low powered guns they offer a much flatter trajectory than .22, and they are said to make quieter impacts on quarry.

Matthias

I define small game hunting as different from "pesting". There are certain applications where a 12 ft/lb gun makes sense for pesting. There is little in small game hunting where I believe the same is "best".

I'd vote for .25 for best small game caliber. If I had access to a .30 or 9mm I could see that possibly changing.

Last edited:
I define small game hunting as different from "pesting". There are certain applications where a 12 ft/lb gun makes sense for pesting. There is little in small game hunting where I believe the same is "best".

Jim,

that is an interesting perspective you mention — the difference between "small game hunting" on the one hand — and "small animal pesting" on the other. 👍🏼

Obviously, there can be many differences between "hunting" and "pesting" — with hunting often being defined by concepts of "fair chase," Davy Crockett style hunting ethics and etiquette, and the traditions that my grandfather/ uncle/ etc. taught me.

These differences between "hunting" and "pesting" are largely based on abstract ideals, philosophical stances, and human traditions.
❓ Question: What practical differences are there between "hunting" and "pesting" that influence the choice of caliber? 😊

Matthias

@JungleShooter IMO Pesting is shooting rodents, starlings and the like. Often in and around buildings/equipment which is where the sub 12 ft/lb guns shine. Rodents and invasives are unclassified wildlife. There are generally few laws/rules regarding the shooting or trapping of such.
Small game has a definition and in the U.S. small game falls under the laws of the state you are hunting in.
Local customs, traditions, fair chase, ethics and such are a part of hunting although I don't see it as relevant and clutters this discussion.

ETA- I believe I've seen and enjoyed many of your pig hunting videos. Including a well taken smallish hog shot with a weak 177. As effective as that was, I'd be surprised if you'd rate that level of power as "best".

Hogs actually are an interesting twist that I don't have access to here. How does your local game regulations classify pigs?

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
I only shoot 22 impacts. I had 25 impact, but ultimately chose the 22. Why ammo is better priced and it works well. I shoot ground squirrels. One trip this past year I,shot over 500 in a few days. Would a 30 work better. No way, more air, more noise, more cost to shoot. I am making shots out to 200 yards with the 22, again a 30 would not increase the distance. Now for bigger game, maybe a bigger gun.

Reactions: L.Leon
Whether I'm hunting or pesting I'm still going for the quickest death. To me those are pointless semantics.

Small game is defined in every state. Specifically it usually includes things like bobcats coons possum, etc.

A number of 22 cal airguns can get that done. Easy.

I'm looking for minimum 50ft lbs. Not a caliber necessarily

If it's skwirrel sized I'm looking at less than 20ft lbs.

Situation always dictates. I have no absolute rules