The Best Caliber for Hunting Small Game with an Air Rifle?

Interesting video.

Enjoyed the video. One of the few airgunners to acknowledge that even the "Big 30" does not generate the same energy as 22LR at anything over standard velocity LR ammo.

Growing up with .177 ten pump type airguns, it was hard to ignore that my buddies similar 22 had much greater impact when striking game. Once stepping up to PCPs, that same increase in impact of even a slow 25 over 22 is undeniable. While I don't question ones desire to hunt with smaller calibers, I do question the "just as effective" assertions.

While the 30 is intriquing, I'm teetering on the edge of skipping it and jumping to 9mm/357.

Enjoyed the video. One of the few airgunners to acknowledge that even the "Big 30" does not generate the same energy as 22LR at anything over standard velocity LR ammo.

Growing up with .177 ten pump type airguns, it was hard to ignore that my buddies similar 22 had much greater impact when striking game. Once stepping up to PCPs, that same increase in impact of even a slow 25 over 22 is undeniable. While I don't question ones desire to hunt with smaller calibers, I do question the "just as effective" assertions.

While the 30 is intriquing, I'm teetering on the edge of skipping it and jumping to 9mm/357.
It's funny you should say that!

I went from .25 cal, then bought two .357 cal Bulldogs, and now I've got a .30 cal FX Maverick VP. I still have both Bulldogs, but I sold the .25 cal Hatsan Bullboss and AEA HPBP.

The reason I got the .30 cal Maverick was because of accuracy far exceeded what I could get with the Bulldog. Additionally, .357 is not the safest caliber to shoot in residential areas, and I got a ton of passthrough shots on groundhogs and raccoons.

I think my passthrough problem will be fixed if I use the new FX Hybrid Slugs. I have a couple hundred, but I accidentally overwrote my zero in my scope, so I need to get to the range so I can put them in action.

Reactions: Hal4son
The .30 cal is a phenomenal hunting caliber that can span a big spectrum of game size.

Also the .30 will battle non perfect weather conditions way better then the smaller calibers do ( pretty important when shooting at game )

As for the argunment of wasted meat/overkill on small game, that is in relation to your shot placement, .....upper shoulders/lower neck area is extremely effective ( arguably more them body shots ) and there is no wasted meat about them, matter of fact less wasted meat then a body shot with a .17 cal.

I thought long and hard on my first caliber. I specifically got into PCP Air gun as I was tired of the BS pricing and ammo availability with powder burners, specifically .22LR.

22 pellets are readily available and priced well. Once I verified my Cayden could shoot the Benjamin 14.3 gr. pellets well, it was time to stock up on $6.89 tins of 500 (Which by the way just doubled to over $12 a tin on Amazon.)

I have a nice stash of well over 15K, Which over the last 4- months was a little over $206.00 cost (30 tins of 500)

Pricing 50 tins (of 300count) of Diablo 25 at $18.80 a tin would be $940.00

At that price, I would have just stayed with Powder burners..... and the cost savings alone paid for the 75CF air tank I recently purchased.

I think for the majority of shooters, .22 Cal makes the most sense, has the most options, and can easily take all small game. I think as one wades into the hobby more, they might take the plunge at a 25 or 30 cal. At some point I may. but for now, I'm more than happy using .22 cal.

But I agree with him, there is no right or wrong, everybody makes their choices.
Absolutely to everything you said. I currently have 70K .22 pellets on the shelf. I like to shoot and .22 was economical, excellent variety and adequate for birds, squirrel and chipmunk and quiet.

Reactions: SHOMER
BEST caliber, airgun, scope, tune, ammo……..is the caliber, airgun, scope, tune, ammo…….you have AND reliably hit the kill zone with. There, found the easy button for everyone! 🤣

1662735513879.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
I prefer to hunt with .177 and find that caliber very effective. Shot placement is everything, and I'm more accurate out to 40 yards with .177 than with my .22 guns.
R

40y with .177 leaves not much margin, so are a really good shot. 👍🏼👍🏼

You were saying that you're more accurate with .177 than with your .22 guns.
Is that because .177 is inherently more accurate than .22 — or is that for other reasons?
Just curious, as I'm contemplating a .177 for a new shooting scenario.

Matthias

with .177 leaves not much margin, so are a really good shot. 👍🏼👍🏼

Is that because .177 is inherently more accurate than .22 — or is that for other reasons?

Matthia
40y with .177 leaves not much margin, so are a really good shot. 👍🏼👍🏼

Matthias
It is all about trajectory, not my ability or lack thereof. 👍 At 12fpe a .22 pellet (16gr) will drop about 3” between 28 and 40 yards. A .177 pellet (8.4gr) will only drop about 1” between those two distances. The flatter .177 trajectory makes it easier for me to hit any target beyond 20 yards. With .22 you need to adjust your aim point for pellet drop and I’d rather not have to bother with that.
R

Reactions: nervoustrig
It is all about trajectory, not my ability or lack thereof. 👍 At 12fpe a .22 pellet (16gr) will drop about 3” between 28 and 40 yards. A .177 pellet (8.4gr) will only drop about 1” between those two distances. The flatter .177 trajectory makes it easier for me to hit any target beyond 20 yards. With .22 you need to adjust your aim point for pellet drop and I’d rather not have to bother with that.
R
That is only in springers,
PCPs will shoot .177 @ 900 fps, .22 @ 900 fps, .25 @ 900 fps, .30 @ 900 fps, .357 @ 900 fps.....the flatter trajectory thing is old news and only applys to springers, it's an all new world now ;)

Last edited: