The best airgun ever made.

What is the best air rifle?

This is a question that comes up time and time again. After careful consideration over a very long period of time, I have decided to put my opinion out there for you all to consider. Please keep in mind that there are MANY more points and reasons why this rifle is what I chose that I did not put into the video. I could have gone on, and on, and on, about past experiences, lessons learned, personal feelings along the way, and more. In fact, right after the first cut, this video was still almost 30 minutes long! 

Also... consider what the real question is. "What is the best air rifle?" or, "What is the best air rifle for me?" Even that question can be broken down into finer points such as best for accuracy, best for hunting, best for my body type, best for my shooting style, best for slug chuckin', best for 10m, best for 100y, the list goes on... Only the shooter can truly come to the conclusion of what rifle is best for them when they consider all the variables they are working with. I have tried to consider as many of these variables as possible when I decided to tackle answering this question. 

I hope you all enjoy! 

Tom 

https://youtu.be/AQB9O0duoeM

22 cal Sumatra 2500. They've been around for 20 years and still relevant. Power can be adjusted from 177 cal levels to 30 cal levels and they are accurate. They don't have choked barrels and work well with slugs and pellets. The mag is deep enough that just about every pellet ever released will fit in it (mag) and they are not pellet fussy. I admit that air efficiency is not there, but they are built to hunt. And they don't cost as much as a nice used car. The STX phenom is the flavor of today and will be replaced with some other marketing scheme in the next two years or so.

Reactions: Dcorvino
Thanks for stirring the nest buddy. It’s great to see you making another video. The Impact MK II is my dream gun so I’m glad to see you reaffirming my convictions. Best wishes Tom!

Tim.

Yeah.. I know this is a touchy subject! Everyone has their favorites and there are some strong opinions out there both for and against. I've thought about this for probably over a year on and off. Even after I came to this conclusion, I kept it to myself for quite a while. I needed one more piece of information before I could make this video and put this out there. I got the final piece of feedback I needed at RMAC to solidify my thoughts. That piece of feedback wasn't something anyone could tell me or show me and it's not something I could easily explain. I had to feel, see, and experience what I was looking for. 

Tom

22 cal Sumatra 2500. They've been around for 20 years and still relevant. Power can be adjusted from 177 cal levels to 30 cal levels and they are accurate. They don't have choked barrels and work well with slugs and pellets. The mag is deep enough that just about every pellet ever released will fit in it (mag) and they are not pellet fussy. I admit that air efficiency is not there, but they are built to hunt. And they don't cost as much as a nice used car. The STX phenom is the flavor of today and will be replaced with some other marketing scheme in the next two years or so.

Thank you for sharing your opinion! The STX is a nice feature and adds to the rifles appeal. But, it was not even close a deciding factor for me. If these had standard old school smooth twist sleeves, I would feel the same way. Also, longevity could not be a factor as these are still new in the overall scheme of things. This decision came down to performance, accuracy, accessory options, recent upgrades, and the combination of putting so many features into one package. I may have had a different opinion on the MKI package years ago but, the MKII package brings it to a level that I feel is deserving of a title such as this. 

Glad you're enjoying your Sumatra! :) 

Tom

The Sumatra is not even my favorite airgun. I'm looking at it from a practical viewpoint. They are simple guns to work on and maintain and they come closest to firearms for hunting. The Impact is tailored for the competitions (or vice versa), so I see your point in that. But from an overall "what gun has shown value, performance, and usability," I would pick a gun that has a track record and one you know what you are getting and it will last, so would vote for a 22 Sumatra. 

Cool video, Tom. The versatility of the MK11 is amazing!

Hey, didn't we just see pictures of you sporting the new Daystate Midnight Wolf with the ART barrel at RMAC? Where does that one rank??

Yes, I used the Midnight for my 100y rifle. It's an incredible rifle! I had it set up for .22 and the wind was just too much for the redesigns to overcome. 

As far as ranking goes, I try very hard not to rank my rifles in any particular order. I consider "best" and "favorite", two different things. A rifle I take to competition is a competition rifle and may or may not be what I enjoy shooting the most in my collection. You wouldn't drive a Nascar race car across the country for comfort, right? I can tell you that the rifle I take out for a nice relaxing Summer evening shoot is neither the Impact or the Midnight. ;)

Tom