• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The begining of the .177 Raptor

1567253193_15222742785d6a62c91962a9.21578810_14414.jpeg

Before I get started with the gun, I want to say being able to call JSAR and talk with Travis speaks volumes about their customer service! Anyway, on with the gun.

The gun handles very nice. The weight is balanced right about the middle of the fore grip so shooting offhand is very comfortable. A pretty nice feature is that if you want the balance point to shift rearward, it looks like you could add weights inside the buffer tube and have the balance wherever you want; and thats only the beginning of the adjustability of the gun. The cheek riser, LOP, and trigger are solid and all adjustable!
Speaking of the trigger, it came set around 1 pound (as measured with my finely tuned trigger finger) with a nice first stage travel. The first stage comes up against a solid stop and with a little more pressure, it breaks clean.
The cocking lever is super smooth. The spring pressure is really light, so much so that there was a couple times while shooting that I could tell if I had actually pulled the lever all the way back. There must be some Voodoo magic going on with this valve
tongue.gif

I asked Travis to send the gun tuned for 20 fpe (as this will be used for American Field Target) with 13.4 gr JSBs. It was spot on! No power adjustments needed. As requested by Travis, I ran through about 2 tins of pellets to get everything settle in before running a string over the chrony. I was trying to count how many shots I got before it fell off the reg but I kept loosing count... Its alot!
I ran a couple strings over the chrony and reported back to Travis, as he was as curious as I was. I felt the results were great for a new gun thats still settling in but Travis wasn't satisfied. He said we were gonna get it to half... WHAT!!! Right now the SD and ES are almost as good as my Taipan Veteran and he is gonna cut that in half! O baby, this is gonna be a fun ride
grin.gif

I was hoping to put up some pictures of the groups at 50 yards but the winds would not allow that to happen. I had alot of horizontal stringing as the winds were gusty, but looking at the lack of vertical changes, I have a feeling that the gun will have not problems being a close to a one holer at 50 yards with multiple pellets.

So far, I am ecstatic with the Raptor. I have a feeling, as soon as the dust settles from the 1st Raptor (and my wife forgets about it), there will be a second one showing up at my door!

How adjustable is the trigger?

Very... I had the gun apart and played with the trigger assembly. It looks like there are 4 adjustment screws for the trigger. Not an expert but it appears that the trigger position, 1st stage travel and pull weight, and 2nd stage pull weight can all be adjusted. I was able to set it low enough that I couldn't feel the second stage before the sear broke.

I haven't been shooting very much lately. Too much work to do. My daughter shot it at ROT Field Target match and did very well. I was able to put some nice groups together but with the wind they would string horizontally so pictures of these groups would not do the gun justice.

I tried the JSB monsters (13.4 gr) and the gun didn't like them. It may be different with the redesigned and of course each barrel is different.

I am hoping to get some shooting done this coming week. When I do, I will post some groups... weather permitting.

I have had a couple questions about accuracy with different pellets. The weather has not been very cooperative but I did have a small window right after daylight where the winds were not too bad. I grabbed all of the .177 cal pellets I could find and set up a target at 50 yards.
The first pic is of all the pellets I tried. The second pic is of another group shot with the H&N barracuda match. I felt that they should have done a little better.
Also, there are a couple for size reference with a penny.
All of the groups are 5 shots and the winds varied 1-3mph.

1572706310_17830673025dbd980691b3e3.14302525_group.jpg
1572706379_6648917485dbd984bdf9ad9.38225707_hn2.jpg

1572706403_9476867995dbd98639723e9.05023254_Size ref HN (1).jpg

1572706435_13622326905dbd9883c3ff66.64080281_Size ref JSB (2).jpg