• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Ataman M2R Tactical Carbine Type 2 .357cal-Tuning/Adjusting/Break In???

Hello All,

I recently purchased an Ataman M2R Tac Carbine in .357cal. I only have put about 200 rounds of assorted ammo through it, checking function and such, no hard core accuracy testing yet....although it does like JSB Exacts 81g- 3/4" @ 50yds. I got out the chrony today and checked some numbers for three different types of pellets and slugs.
I shot three 8 shot strings of the JSB Exacts 81g, all three strings from a full 300 bar fill down to about 180 bar and the temp was about 40 F (I did not shoot multiple strings of the other pellets or slugs I had, just one for each)
here are the results for the JSB's: 

First String Second String Third String
876 912 907
891 910 876
890 903 879
889 915 877
890 904 874
887 914 880
888 934 897
870 921 876
avg-885 avg-914 avg-883

As you can see the second string is a bit off compared to the other two.....so i have a few questions-
Is there a needed "break in" period for the regulator to become consistent?
Anyone out there know how to adjust the hammer spring tension and the regulator for this particular rifle?
There is nothing in the manual about this, there is a schematic...but not super detailed-doesn't show what parts are threaded so I don't know what to turn, trying to avoid taking the gun all apart ;-)

I do have a Hatsan AT44S QE .22 cal that I put a regulator in and tweaked the hammer spring, I understand the concept..I just wanted the tinker with the Ataman.

Thanks In Advance,

Rick

Hi Rick,
I would like to congratulate you on buying one of the Ataman rifles...I have coveted them since they first came out.

There was a break in period for the regulators in all of the regulated rifles I have owned and do own now. I am guessing that the Belleville washers that make up the spring need to sort of wear together around the edges until it finally settles into a more stable consistency. I would shoot about a thousand pellets and then chrony her again after that to see what the difference is. 

I think 3/4" groups at 50 yards is good hunting accuracy from that fine hunting rifle you have. Once she is broken in a little I think your 75 & 100 yard groups will be somewhere in the 1" to 1 1/2" range which is great for hunting. As much as I love to tinker too, I am not sure I would do anything until you see what's up after a few more cans of pellets. :)

All the best, Chuck

P.S. Have you tried the Predator Polymag pellets in your Ataman yet?

Hello Chuck,

Thanks for the info, I will get some more rounds down range and check things out later.
Because this regulator has the Belleville washers, is it not adjustable? The regulator in my Hatsan has an adjustment screw with bar settings, makes things pretty easy.

I have shot the Polymags, they look to be a bit more accurate then the JSB's. Again, I haven't done any serious accuracy testing....
I am very confident the 3/4" @ 50 yds will shrink some ;-)

Take Care,

Rick

Hi Rick I don't know if your regulator is adjustable or not in the a t a m a n but it seems to be doing okay for now... Like you said get a thousand rounds through the gun and then see what's up. I would like to say this with all due respect, you have a wonderfully beautiful powerful accurate hunting rifle... Don't let yourself get caught up in thinking you have to put every shot in the same hole! If your groups at 50 yards never get any smaller who cares? Because it's going to be a dead anything you're aiming at outcome! All the best brother, Chuck