• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The airgun world has changed

Hello all,

Decided to return to airguns after a long time away. I'm so overwhelmed with information, but I'm very excited about everything I have to learn!! It's totally unbelievable the amount of content that's available on Youtube and social media in general. And, wow, how things have changed!

I still have several old Weihrauch break-barrels that have been gathering dust while life and work (and powder-burners) took me in other directions. I probably "jumped the gun" and Santa has ordered me my first PCP. I've never owned a PCP, but I'm all in now... I'm a lot older, but it's crazy how excited I am. There's never been a Christmas quite like my first air rifle - Daisy 880 Powerline - many, many years ago.

So, I guess my post needs to have a point... Could someone please point me to a good fundamental resource for understanding high-pressure systems, regulators, etc... Especially, if it's specific to PCP air rifles. And, also how would you suggest selling some Weihrauch break-barrels to help fund the new toy? With all the negativity towards guns now days, I assume there are restrictions to make shipping difficult?

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Welcome back to the sport!!

There are no legal shipping restrictions with airguns (except for shipping pressurized vessels via air).

As far as a good resource for understanding PCP's and regulators, I wrote an article for the American Airgunner blog about tuning regulated PCP's, bit but here is a lot of great background info in there that you might appreciate.

Feel free to DM me anytime - I'd be really happy to answer any questions you have!

Welcome back , you have found the best place AGN . besides the members classified there are also Air gun shows around not real close but a fun time and not that far away , You can just carry you gun's in and walk around or if you have many you can buy a table . I went to 3 last year , and this year i will go to the one in Alabama .

Could someone please point me to a good fundamental resource for understanding high-pressure systems, regulators, etc... Especially, if it's specific to PCP air rifles.
I have recommended this series from Matt Dubber a number of times.

It encompasses a whole lot of information pertinent to PCPs and how they are different.

Welcome back to the sport!! It is a heck of a lot of fun with a great community backing it up, and as @beerthief said, AGN is one of the best resources out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: TitanRebel
Welcome back , you have found the best place AGN . besides the members classified there are also Air gun shows around not real close but a fun time and not that far away , You can just carry you gun's in and walk around or if you have many you can buy a table . I went to 3 last year , and this year i will go to the one in Alabama .
That sounds interesting, where can I find the schedule for airgun shows ?

Whoahhhh....hold on.

Airgun show in Alabama? How'd I miss this?

Do not sell the Weihrauch break barrels. Bad idea. Keep them around, you might want to dust them off after the cheap luster disappears from the PCP.
I agree. Keep the Weihrauch. They are great to introduce youngsters to airguns, plus, they are great to have when your compressor dies, or you lose power or something that will keep you from using your PCP (I'm not agreeing with the PCP losing luster, but a change is sometimes necessary, and it is not uncommon to blow and o-ring when you least expect it). Springers really exploit the "artillery hold" which helps shooting technique. Besides this, there are a LOT of springer shooters on here that start competitions and all that, so you wouldn't be able to compete without one. ;)

Reactions: beerthief
Hello all,

Decided to return to airguns after a long time away. I'm so overwhelmed with information, but I'm very excited about everything I have to learn!! It's totally unbelievable the amount of content that's available on Youtube and social media in general. And, wow, how things have changed!…

Could someone please point me to a good fundamental resource for understanding high-pressure systems, regulators, etc... Especially, if it's specific to PCP air rifles…
@TitanRebel First off welcome back to the airgun wok and welcome to AGN. Great place to learn. Here’s a link to a thread that contains a video explaining how PCP regulators work.

The following link contains a video of how a specific regulated airgun works, but I think it’s good enough to illustrate basic regulated PCP functions.

Hope these help some. Also the AGN search feature is a pretty handy resource. After typing in a few keywords one can be led to all sorts of information. I’ve read thousands of threads and still have a ton to learn. If something is difficult to find or comprehend there are plenty of AGN members that will be happy to assist you.

Last edited:
Getting started, you don’t need to know how exactly the internals of a pcp function, although it is good to know and it’s the gateway to diy tuning and resealing.

What you need to know first is:
1) what pellet your new pcp is intended to shoot. (This is generally not a safety issue, mostly to give good accuracy)
2) what is the maximum fill pressure for your gun
3) how to fill your gun to a safe pressure without exceeding the maximum. The answer depends a bit on where you have pressure gauges to read from
4) what is the minimum fill pressure when it’s time to refill. Regulated and unregulated pcps have different limits and every gun can be different
5) how to safely connect, fill, and disconnect your pcp from your fill source (bulk tank, hand pump, compressor)
6) proper operation of your airgun - how to load the pellet / magazine, how to cock it, the safety, and if there are any sequences that are damaging or unsafe (eg dry firing).

The user manual should cover some of these things but the others may require some research or instruction from whomever you bought them from. Once you get to know how things generally work, then it’s all quite sensible.

TitanRebel,
Welcome to AGN!! 🔆 😊

HardAir Magazine (HAM)
has some really good articles on ballistics, PCP tuning, and a host of other helpful things.

The HAM articles by Bob Sterne are ground breaking (he has been posting this info for years on the Gateway To Airguns GTA:

Matthias

That’s an overly strong statement. There are plenty of pellets flying from other types.

But pcp has become more accessible than before and the really interesting developments and 90% of the new models are in the pcp realm.

It's just sad to see alot of the good quality springers/rams go the way of the dodo, and I do believe it's largely due to the power crowd and the abundance of cheaper more available pcps on the market today vs 10-15 years ago.

Reactions: dgeesaman