The Air Rifle that won the west in the 1800s

Has technology done as well as this Air Rifle of 1,803 that Lewis and Clark conquered the Western USA with... without killing anyone? Just by demonstrating this amazing air rifle for the Native Americans .. 200 plus years ago??? The ultimate bluffing game for sure.

Low Psi shooting 22- 46 cal balls in less than 30 seconds at 1,000fps with about 800psi created with hand pumps.. and replaceable air tanks. Currently, a .45 cal lead ball weighs in at 137grains...

Who can do better now in the marketplace?

Wayne

Last edited:
Blows me away to think they had that stuff and then set it aside.for newer technology (powder burners). Like most technology; they eventually get bored with the new and revert back to try and figure out where they were when they switched. Look around; gaming, cars, "we can't get back to the moon", etc...😅🤷‍♂️👀🥴🤗🎩🤙

It was an Italian handmade rifle, built by the watchmaker GILARDONI (this is actually the real name of the guns). It was used by Austrian soldiers and other. It was so "dangerous" (due to the lack of noise and smoke) that Napoleon ordered to kill everyone founded in possession.

http://www.beemans.net/Austrian airguns.htm

I wonder how they came up with those numbers? An actual test with the original gun or a replica?
22 shots with a 140 (+/-) gr projectile at 1000 fps sound good for a modern gun.
I think that Beeman tested the GILARDONI he acquired to get the actual power.

About 10 years ago, I met a couple guys at a field target match at LD,s ranch, that had made some Gilardoni replicas and we got to shoot them.. It was very cool. I didn't get a card or anything.. so don't remember his name.. but there is or at least was... someone out there building replicas.

Wayne

Amazing craftsmanship considering the time period.
I would really like to see one. Better yet, actually handle or shoot one.

Doc
The key is Craftsman not computer generated

Now no real human hands on just the computer says its good , make it ( cnc), sell it and you work out all the QC issues..

I think that Beeman tested the GILARDONI he acquired to get the actual power.

About 10 years ago, I met a couple guys at a field target match at LD,s ranch, that had made some Gilardoni replicas and we got to shoot them.. It was very cool. I didn't get a card or anything.. so don't remember his name.. but there is or at least was... someone out there building replicas.

Wayne
Sounds like Mike Reames.

Looks like one was auctioned off for $28,500 Dec. 2nd 2018

• Wow
Reactions: SupremaRatio
Looks like one was auctioned off for $28,500 Dec. 2nd 2018

Daaaamn, I'm Italian, but with the wrong surname!