• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Air Rifle that won the west in the 1800s

When I first saw a documentary about the Girardoni I've wanted one, any air rifle made before 1950 requires no license in Finland regardless of caliber (normal law requires a license for anything above 6.35mm (.25).

I am quite curious to what pre 1950 airrifles actually exist, I have tried googling it but found pretty much nothing. Just gives me modern airrifles.
Does anyone know of a site that lists the history of air rifles? What was the first air rifle ever made/mass produced?

Any big bore ones from pre 1950 that would cost below $500?

Want to read about it?

IMG_1803.jpeg

My larger point is that the manufactures have not surpassed or even in most cases, not come close to the same power and shot ratio at such a low PSI... and I did read the research team is confident that 22 shots on a tank was the norm for the Austrian military issued rifle.... 22 killing shots in a very short time period and a prefilled tank ready to go while you loaded 22 more .46 cal balls.. when the other side is firing single shot muskets that tell the other side exactly where that shot came from. And they don't know where you are shooting from.

And more importantly to me... The Natives recognized that fact when Lewis demonstrated the gun ... and That Lewis & Clark with one gun they really knew nothing about at first, were able to make deals with the Natives to share the land and become traders... not make war... as President Jefferson wanted for their mission. that's a big deal in my mind.

But then, the deal was broken by a later president Jackson.. you know the rest of that story.

It was a fork in the road in my mind.. what if we had learned to respect mother nature like they did.. and they learned the white mans technology like Jefferson had planned.. and we shared and still had bison roaming the land to harvest.. instead of "feedlots" & "Freeways"

Wayne

The Lewis & Clark airgun is probably the most historic, most overlooked weapon in Human history since David's sling and stone. I'd bet good money that less than 5% of Americans know about the airgun that opened their continent.
Ha! I bet less than 5% of Americans know of the Lewis and Clark expedition. 😓

My larger point is that the manufactures have not surpassed or even in most cases, not come close to the same power and shot ratio at such a low PSI... and I did read the research team is confident that 22 shots on a tank was the norm for the Austrian military issued rifle.... 22 killing shots in a very short time period and a prefilled tank ready to go while you loaded 22 more .46 cal balls.. when the other side is firing single shot muskets that tell the other side exactly where that shot came from. And they don't know where you are shooting from.

And more importantly to me... The Natives recognized that fact when Lewis demonstrated the gun ... and That Lewis & Clark with one gun they really knew nothing about at first, were able to make deals with the Natives to share the land and become traders... not make war... as President Jefferson wanted for their mission. that's a big deal in my mind.

But then, the deal was broken by a later president Jackson.. you know the rest of that story.

It was a fork in the road in my mind.. what if we had learned to respect mother nature like they did.. and they learned the white mans technology like Jefferson had planned.. and we shared and still had bison roaming the land to harvest.. instead of "feedlots" & "Freeways"

Wayne
Thank you Wayne, for the insightful and honest assessment of a turning point in English and Native American relations.

My great grandfather, John White Horse-Patton, was quietly enjoying what turned out to be one of his last sunsets with me and he turned to me
and said, Nakia,(my native name), what if we had all just listened to each other. Imagine the world today."

I have often pondered those quiet words from a quiet man who witnessed so much history.

Doc.

Yes, Doc,

In my mind we, (us white folks), had many "forks in the road" where we chose short term money making for a few rich people.. to get more rich, instead of what was best for the planet and the people and all life on it... If we had learned "Seventh Generation Thinking" like many Native tribes used in their planning at the time, we would have a much different world right now. What if our government had to use "Seventh Generation Thinking" in their decision making... Instead of what was best for their Campaign Contributors that paid their way into office?

Wayne

Last edited:
As much as I am enjoying the classics these days I wish they would make it again. I’d probably buy one.

Rick H.
I got to see one at a show . i ask if i could pick it up ,he said NO i ask if i just lifted it up 2 inches from the display stand he said ok just straight up and set it back down . i was actually nervous a little . lighter than it looked .

Perhaps some would like to read about colonial times and how the Penn family came to purchase the (Pennsylvania) land from the natives in the 1600's. Our family farm is in Perry Co. and some of the Indian attacks written about were on the Buffalo creek that flows through our farm. Indian massacre accounts against the settlers (some gory and shocking) in that area in the 1750's. Scalps sold to the French etc. . A lot of history regarding surrounding counties as well. Very interesting to me having grown up there and finding so many artifacts in the soil from these remarkable people. Very hard to find real believeable Colonial history these days it seems.

Reactions: crowski
Last October (2022) I saw a gentlman at a local airgun show that displayed several pistols that he had built which looked at first like muzzleloading flintlocks. I believe he was from Ohio? I had pics on my phone of several of his guns but have evidently erased them by accident. I only got to speak with him very briefly as others were waiting in line to talk to him. I wanted to ask if he had ever built a long gun.