The 2nd Amendment and Air Rifles/Pellet Guns/BB Guns

I always think it's funny how the 2A screamers never seem to want to acknowledge the clause of "well regulated militia". No one wants to be regulated, but those are the original words. 

Think of how a regulator in an air gun works. Now apply that concept to accessing your firearms and ammunition, and you are on the track to finding the truth of what the framers intended.

I always think it's funny how the 2A screamers never seem to want to acknowledge the clause of "well regulated militia". No one wants to be regulated, but those are the original words. 

Think of how a regulator in an air gun works. Now apply that concept to accessing your firearms and ammunition, and you are on the track to finding the truth of what the framers intended.

Completely off base, IMO. I believe that the 2A simply states the need to have arms available so that a militia could exist. Cannot have a militia, well regulated or not, if no one has arms. "Well regulated" in the context doesn't even relate to regulating access to arms. Seems history bears this out pretty well, our own included.

Brand spanking new here, but just recently saw this posted on another forum. 

United States Code
Page 1453 TITLE 15-COMMERCE AND TRADE § 5103

(g) Preemption of State or local laws or ordinances; exceptions

The provisions of this section shall supersede any provision of State or local laws or ordi- nances which provide for markings or identifi- cation inconsistent with provisions of this sec- tion provided that no State shall-

(1) prohibit the sale or manufacture of any look-alike, nonfiring, collector replica of an antique firearm developed prior to 1898, or

(ii) prohibit the sale (other than prohibit- ing the sale to minors) of traditional B-B, paint ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of air pressure.

(Pub. L. 100-615, § 4, Nov. 5, 1988, 102 Stat. 3190.)

Everyone, especially in government, picks apart phrases within the Bill of Rights to suite their argument or needs. This is no more evident than with the Judicial Branch picking apart and taking pieces of our freedoms to protect other's within government "special interests." If you look at the times when the Bill of Rights was written, the government was truly the People. They wrote the Bill of Rights to express those rights of the people from the very government that they were escaping from across the pond; an oppressive government that was actively invading North American soil to try and continue to be oppressive. They were fighting and dying for keeping rights as free men and women and spelled it out clearly. The current government, of the people mind you, is slowly whittling away these rights to suite their perceived governmental needs. We the People, who is supposed to be being governed by ourselves through vote, are eroding our own rights and getting further and further away from the intent of the Framers of the Constitution and Bill of Rights to the point we are becoming not truly free.

IMG_20210220_100217391.1614490793.jpg

what it all boils down to is 'serf and lords' ... your 'lords' dont want you to have any weapon that would potentially allow you to be a threat to them .. this is EXACTLY the co text the framers had in mind when they wrote about yoir rigjt to bear arms shall not be touched .. theres no debate about it .. the people that aspire to be your lords dont get to decide if you can be armed, and i interpret that as 'personal' weapons, no yoi dont have a right to weapons of mass destruction lol .. bb guns though, no they dont get to regulate that .. as a god fearing human you should know when to take up arms and 'remove' those that seek to put you into a position you have no effective weapons ..

"I draw your attention to People vs. Nivar a court case challenging the Administrative Code of City of NY § 10-131 (b). “Defendant also argues that New York City’s ban on the possession of air pistols violates the Second Amendment…"

A New York State Supreme Court is not the United States Supreme Court. Until the issue is addressed by SCOTUS, lower courts can rule how they want; however, that does not mean the lower court is correct. It just means that SCOTUS has not ruled on the issue or otherwise corrected the lower court.

The Nivar ruling makes the argument that an airgun cannot be adequate for self defense because the owners manual says it is for recreation and pest control and it is non-lethal to humans. A taser is non lethal. Mace and paper spray are non lethal. You may need a permit for taser, mace, or paper spray, but they are legal. I wonder if the defendant I Nivar had made his case by requesting he be able to demonstrate to the judges how effective an airgun could be for self defense? "Your Honor. Give me my air pistol. You run toward me with a baseball bat or knife. I will shoot you in the face, eye, or groin and you can then tell me the air pistol is not a good defensive weapon." I doubt he would have had any takers.

The 1773 edition of Samuel Johnson's dictionary defined "Arms" as "weapons of offense, or armour of defense." Timothy Cunningham's Important 1771 Legal dictionary defined "arms" as "any thing that a man wears for his defense, or takes into his hands, or useth in wrath to cast at or strike another."

The Second Amendment uses the term "Arms". It does not read "firearms". The term "Arms", in the late 1700s, could have just as easily meant a sword, bayonet, tomahawk, or yes, an airgun.

Nivar - "Nor do defendant's citations to the Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803-06 to establish that air guns were "an integral part of the American arsenal at the time of the Framers" (Wasserman Br. at 5) carry the day. All these historical references illustrate is that Capt. Merriwether Lewis used an air rifle "for hunting and to astonish" native Americans (id. at 6). Conspicuously missing from the excerpts that defendant selected is any reference to the use of air guns in the early 19th century for self-defense. "

The Girardoni air rifle was used by Lewis and Clark to kill Mule Deer, not just rabbits and squirrels. The Girardoni air rifle was used in military service by the Austrian army from 1780 to around 1815. The Lewis and Clark expedition began in 1804. Many references to the Girardoni air rifles mention lethal combat ranges of 125 to 150 yards and some extend that range considerably. An army does not use a weapon to "astonish" people, though the .46 or .51 caliber round ball going through your forehead would have probably had that effect. An army employs a weapon because it has been deemed an efficient tool to kill the enemy.

Did the state of New York have the right to make legislation that made air pistols illegal. I really doubt they did. License or restrict? Maybe. Prohibit? No. The Second Amendment is fairly clear in the meaning of infringement on the right to keep and bear arms. States do not have the right to create laws that are contrary to the Constitution, though they often do.

merriam-webster
Regulate : to bring order, method, or uniformity to

free-dictionary
Regulate: verb transitive - to bring into conformity with a rule, principle, or usage

1755 Classic dictionary by Samuel Johnson
Regulate : to adjust by rule or method. to direct.

In the 1700s, the term "Regulate" meant "to make regular" or "to conform to the same standard"; not to make laws regarding something. The enlisted, non-militia soldiers of the 1700s were referred to as "Regulars". A "well regulated militia" meant a militia that is trained, equipped, and acts the same way as a regular army unit; not one controlled by regulations.

The Nivar ruling is disingenuous at best; wrong at worst, and should have been argued in front of SCOTUS. Then it would be settled law.

One group of humans "correcting" another group of humans. Seems to me that doesn't determine what is right, it determines what is legal. Lots of bad things have been legal in human history. I believe such is why the founders produced the constitution-an attempt to establish basic rights and get beyond such human issues. Doesn't seem to have worked fully as I feel they intended. But I could be completely wrong.