• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The 250 BR score quest shooting FT style off a bumbag

So after shooting a few 250 cards last weekend shooting 25 yard indoor Bench Rest I decided to up the Annie. Todays goal was to shoot a 250 BR card while shooting off a bum bag Field Target style with a harness. I tried this once and I shot a 243 so I had bench mark to go off of and figured I can do better. In order to do this I chose my most accurate rifle my Thomas Field Target carbine with a 15" barrel in .177 shooting monsters at 815fps. 

First off I'll tell you I shoot these cards just as a way to measure how well my rifles shoot and how well I can do. I only do this in the winter when I can't shoot outside for field target. So that being said the first thing I noticed trying to do this was it brings your concentration level to a whole other level compared to just shooting off a bench the way you would normally shoot Bench Rest. With the help of the harness I can be relatively steady but the harness use shows up with your pulse rate moving the reticle on nearly every shot and you have to be even more disciplined in making a good shot. Another thing that I noticed is that it is much harder to get a X shooting in the Field Target position than shooting off the bench.

Well let's get to the cards. My first card I shot a 247 with 6 X's. After shooting this I was pumped and totally expected to shoot closer to the 243 that I shot the first time I attempted this. So I was pumped and told myself I can do this! The second card I almost did it and shot a 249 with 12X's. Now I was really pumped and figured I can do this but on the 3rd card I took a step back with a 247 with 8 X's. Being determined to shoot a 250 today I filled the Thomas Field Target carbine and tried again. The 4th card I took another step back with a 246 with 8 X's. 

At this point although I was determined to shoot a 250 I believe fatigue was starting to come into play. My heartbeat was more prevelant and concentration level was definitely slipping. My ass also was getting very numb sitting on the bumbag..I mean to the point where I had to get up and walk around in order for the pain to stop on my ass lol. So the 5th card I shot a 242 with 10 X's but I'm calling MULLIGAN on this card due to the NUMB ASS and fatigue. 

So this is my new goal down at Sherwood Airgunners club this winter...to shoot a perfect 250 Bench Rest card off a bum bag in the Field Target position

1577994022_3095224775e0e4726900cf2.22449597_IMG_20200102_103354621.jpg

This is the 249 card...close but no cigar...and my Thomas FT carbine.

1577994115_13930033985e0e47831fbd52.25623224_IMG_20200102_103450971.jpg

A better look at the 249 card.

1577994197_4531263445e0e47d50ff253.17652656_IMG_20200102_111236560.jpg

What's a story without the SELFIE while shooting the cards 😂😂😂.

For those that may not know shooting in the Field Target position is basically the rifle rested on your knee while sitting on the ground with your knees up. 

Score outwards, its much more fun!

If you look at the card posted in the beginning of this thread look at target # 24 that is close to being a perfect 10X if you were to score "outward" with the pellet being a larger diameter than the ten ring it would score a 9 so how would shooting a very excellent shot and receiving less points be "more fun"? Scoring "outwards" on that target there would be NO 10's shot much less X's? Not fun to my way of thinking! Maybe I'm missing something? It's happened before!

RB

Score outwards, its much more fun!

If you look at the card posted in the beginning of this thread look at target # 24 that is close to being a perfect 10X if you were to score "outward" with the pellet being a larger diameter than the ten ring it would score a 9 so how would shooting a very excellent shot and receiving less points be "more fun"? Scoring "outwards" on that target there would be NO 10's shot much less X's? Not fun to my way of thinking! Maybe I'm missing something? It's happened before!

RB

.22RF official competition in the UK is always scored outwards, that way scoring as high as this is very rare, otherwise everyone scores 240 plus, it's an ego thing!

Nice man!! I enjoy seeing your threads. Fine shooting sir.

Thanks Smok3y,

This is challenging to say the least but I like a challenge. I'm going to run a few patches through the barrel and maybe even clean the barrel in between cards to see if I can improve my score that way. I know alot of people don't have access to these official Bench Rest cards but if you do you should try it. I feel this made my concentration level go up and if I can get into this mode every time I shoot Field Target than this will be a asset to my shooting. I think finding ways to challange ourselves can only benefit our shooting ability. All the other guys that I shoot with indoors at this club shoot Hunter division Field Target maybe I can get them to shoot off the bucket and sticks as a similar challenge shooting these cards.

WFTF rules says 25meters, which around 28yds plus 7/32" or so. Don't short yourself by shooting 2 extra yards, it might be a point or two, esp in wind. In real matches, competitors wouldn't knowingly shoot almost 7 percent farther than the other guys on the line.

LD,

Your point about distance is absolutely correct. I was not trying to shoot BR, I was shooting WFTF FT style rules IE 12 fpe off a bumbag, no harness or bipod, using the official 25 meter BR target. I was shooting 30 yds because that is my normal sight in range. This allows me a scoring system to measure my improvement. If some forum guys want to have informal FT competition on BR targets in the off season I can change the distance to match whatever the gang is using. Here in the mountains, especially with the winter fronts blasting through, wind is always a factor unless I can time a lull between weather fronts. I think you have similar conditions at your ranch from what I have read following your events.

Will Piatt

1578085568_7280099375e0facc01c41d4.66891044_33F55254-762C-42D5-A207-54962D2D8B9B.jpeg
This is the card size that a couple of friends and I shoot indoors at 17yds! Look @ my score! We don’t score it with a .22 plug but a.177 and if you can’t see white all the way around the plug it’s not a X, sorry pic is upside down! Mind you this for fun and break up the winter doldrums
1f61e.svg

Nice shooting...I like the way we are creative in the winter to make a challange to ourselves! 

Well I have this another go at it today but did not do as well...shot a 237 and 239 card. I did figure out I wasn't as comfortable shooting as I was the last time I did this. I figured out on the second card I did not have my hamster set up as high as I did the.other day and I wasn't as comfortable. Once I made that adjustment I shot alot better but I was spent for shooting for the day. I'm definately not done I'm going to do this every time I get a chance to shoot at Sherwood Airgunners which is an hours hour's drive for me.