• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events The 2019 Extreme Benchrest was my first time and just a great time!

My impression: 

The week prior to the event, I was invited to help with the Big Bore competition; judging and guiding the shooter through their stations. Standing supported, laying prone, No support - standing, Benchrest (2x) shooting the longest at 245, 310 yards. What a great time to meet some of the contestants and being able to share their experiences.

Next day was on to the 50-yard contest on Friday at 7:10. Well the wind at that time was predicted to have gusts up to 37 mph. One gust knocked over several of the target backers just before we were getting ready to shoot! It was a ton of fun, just shooting at this time; since the pellets had a mind of their own and just watching the way they were flying was a (sorrow) joy of it’s own! All I could do was laugh and have fun trying.

Then at 2 PM – I got my chance at the 75-yard match. Did I enjoy it – Yes! The wind had died down and the pellets flew truer.

On Saturday I shot at 10 AM and the wind gods gave us another day of mild breezes. (I wondered as I drove home (early) If I made it to the 100-yard card for Sunday?)

Sunday morning when I got to Rio Salado found out that I had made it into the finals for Sportsman class. I watched the speed silhouette finals getting more nervous with each passing hour. I witnessed a Teenager and (TomCat) go head to head, finish, stand up and hug each other! What a couple of winners!

When the 100 yard Benchrest competition started the wind was light and the pellets were flying. A gentleman that I had met two days before won in our class (sportsman) Mike “Centercut” Bricker. All of the top three competitors in “Sportsman” now move into the “Pro” class. All I can say “Centercut and Don Enox” is, we have our work cut out for us for next year!

What a blast it was – 2019 Extreme Benchrest is in the books. Now on to the super tuning and the one-gun challenge for 2020!

Not as an afterthought. But there needs to be a few folks that I would like to thank for my success! The Club members at Rio Salado Air Rifles – you all know that you helped us get better all year long – the shared tips and helpful comments (Chuck filling my air tank after the matches)! The AOA team – their exhausting efforts and especially Kip – who made me the bipod extender shaft that made the whole platform solid (it didn’t help much when the wind was knocking me off the seats though – oh I wasn’t using it then.) 😊

Thank YOU all for a great four days and the comradery!