• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

That’s not a moderator..THAT’S a moderator

Maybe you’ve seen this already..made me laugh 😂
1671919109520.jpeg

I go to a gun shop that has acoustic tiles everywhere. surrounding the individual shooting tables , table tops, ceiling /walls .
I have been thinking of a tunnel to shoot thru say , 8 inches square 4 feet long , maybe longer ? OR maybe 6 inches high / 18 inch wide / 4 feet long ?
Possibly 6 inch high 18 inch wide tapered at the far end to 10 or 12 inch wide , ALL acoustic tile lined . Backyard friendly and no hassell
good for target stand

Reactions: 450BM
I go to a gun shop that has acoustic tiles everywhere. surrounding the individual shooting tables , table tops, ceiling /walls .
I have been thinking of a tunnel to shoot thru say , 8 inches square 4 feet long , maybe longer ? OR maybe 6 inches high / 18 inch wide / 4 feet long ?
Possibly 6 inch high 18 inch wide tapered at the far end to 10 or 12 inch wide , ALL acoustic tile lined . Backyard friendly and no hassell
good for target stand
Crossed m my mind to cut the bottom out of a couple 5 gallon pails, duct tape em together, and line them with fiberglass batt insulation. Thinking slightly more backyard friendy. Has to help right?

Reactions: rcs9250
Just thinking about this "technology". In this case that shell is probably making a pretty loud boom as it breaks the sound barrier so muffling the muzzle blast seems to be pointless... and then you realize the sonic boom is a continuously moving sound generating a very confusing echo signature whereas the muzzle blast is an instantaneous point source sound which is much easier to locate by sound triangulation. Also the flash would be eliminated which would make flash triangulation and sound ranging impossible. I dunno, just had to ask the question, "what could be the point?"

Crossed m my mind to cut the bottom out of a couple 5 gallon pails, duct tape em together, and line them with fiberglass batt insulation. Thinking slightly more backyard friendy. Has to help right?
A long time ago I fabricated a straight trough muffler for a local company for a machine or process. It was just like the “glass pack” mufflers guys put on their muscle cars, except the inlet and outlet were six inches in diameter and main body outside diameter was eighteen inches. It used regular pink insulation for sound deadening. We would scream in one end and was much much quiter on the exit end.
I’ve read about guys that have built similar for shooting at home so as to minimize annoying their neighbors.

Go to your local HVAC shop order a 12”x16” or whatever sized piece for ductwork. Make sure you order it with sound deadening liner. 1/2” to 1-1/2” is usually available. It’s used in most commercial jobs on the return side. Shoot through that. You’ll be amazed by the sound suppression. I’m an HVAC tech, I use a 30”x30” that’s 8’ long on my range about even with my muzzle. My neighbors don’t usually hear my AR and you how much they bark. It’s a thing, and legal.

• Haha
Reactions: JungleShooter
Go to your local HVAC shop order a 12”x16” or whatever sized piece for ductwork. Make sure you order it with sound deadening liner. 1/2” to 1-1/2” is usually available. It’s used in most commercial jobs on the return side. Shoot through that. You’ll be amazed by the sound suppression. I’m an HVAC tech, I use a 30”x30” that’s 8’ long on my range about even with my muzzle. My neighbors don’t usually hear my AR and you how much they bark. It’s a thing, and legal.

Now, THAT'S the spirit!! 😄
With an AR in the backyard, with no-one the wiser! 😆

🔸 In extreme circumstances this tried and true airgun motto even applies to AR's:
"What they didn't hear, didn't happen." 😉

Matthias

Reactions: Exodus