That time of year again..

Chicken feed thieves are showin up in droves…

BD5E894F-AA98-4F5D-A8D1-89F22836998D.jpeg

What did you shoot the middle one with? LOL
I shot it with a 22 cal CPHP out of a leshiy classic with a pulsar thermal sight. As seen in my profile pic. This was morning after photo op. They had dragged the two little ones into the chicken coop and ate their heads off. I guess rats are cannibals.

Reactions: scottg0814
Any rat experts in here know if they are all the same species of rat, just different ages, or if the big one is maybe another species than the others??
My money is on Brown Rat, _Rattus rattus_. They have the physical characteristics: relatively big eyes and ears, long tail, pointed snout.
They also were shot in what looks like a suburban or rural environment; Norway rats tend to live in cities in the US.
So the difference in size is age and sex. That big one at the bottom has what looks like a full scrotum hanging out the back and what looks like a coarser coat (fur) so that is a male. They can grow bigger than the females. The other ones I can't tell for sure; top one might be female, next two are still young, and the fourth one might be female as the coat looks finer and she might be pregnant.

Cheers,
Mike

Reactions: Ricochet