• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

That One Gun.....

I’ve owned more airguns than I care to admit and have paired my collection down to be 100% dependable so I have several that are “the one”. Taipan Shorty, Brocock Atomic, RTI Prophet Performance LR and Compact and Avenger, all .22’s. I can pull any one out of the safe, the air tank is full, no creep in the regs and dependably hit what I am aiming at, within reasonable conditions. My Crosman Challenger is right there too but only indoors at 10M because that is what it’s designed for.

~13yr old grand prix (custom) with riton 2moa red dot. No safety, no monometer, no regulator, single shot. Fx ranchero is much the same. As well as both my 1322s (both have a ceiling-less budget)

275634850_10159738822689034_2460257380062806755_n.jpg332681419_778303993139164_3397354390380902971_n.jpg20220311_175825_edited.jpg193563815_10159210725879034_6679952089442148642_n.jpg

Last edited:
What is that "One" gun you own, or have owned that Never disappoints?

I am talking about the gun that you could leave on a shelf, untouched for an unlimited time frame, grab it, throw a mag in it and know for 100% certainty it will hit Exactly where you are aiming.

I have owned no less than 30 different guns over the years, had a few that were very good but Never that One. there was always some little quirk, had to fire a couple shots, had to fire 1 shot, etc...

The original poster gave this very stringent criteria, so I thought I’d offer some data points as to why I chose my unregulated Daystate Huntsman Regal .22…

This Regal is insanely accurate and consistent - I likely won the barrel lottery even among Huntsman barrels.

I’ve shot the “30 Yard Challenge” 12 times with this rifle as per my chart below. I’ve never shot below 192. I shot a 200 (!) with the rifle the last time I shot it. The “X” is .03” , the 10-ring is .13” and the 9-ring is .30”. Its a very small bullseye - that 10 ring is smaller than a .177 pellet head!

My rules to myself are: no sorting or weighing pellets - shoot straight from the tin. No sighters allowed once you start the target card - so 24 straight shots.

You will note by the dates that I don’t shoot the Huntsman that often, but every time I pick it up, even after a few weeks, it can hit a sub .30” target at 30 yards time after time without fail.

Even more bizzare, you guys know that I tear down my rifles and polish them up , tweak & tune them. However, this Huntsman is as it came out of the box - I have not even touched a trigger adjustment screw!

I think unregulated guns have the best chance of meeting the original posters criteria here (just my opinion). I have some awesome, expensive regulated rifles - but if they have not been shot in a while, they need a couple “test” shots to “reset” the regulator.

Finally, because Huntsman Regals are bolt action, I have to remove my cheek to cock and essentially must reset up after each shot - you would think this would hinder consistency, but results show that it doesn’t.

So, in summary, I have measured results that show I can pick this Huntsman up after having it sit for 2 weeks, load up some unsorted JSB 15.89s straight from the tin, aim and hit a sub .30” target at 30 yards every time.

(And as a bonus, my Huntsman looks damn pretty while shootin’ straight !)

I think this is what the original poster was getting at…

-Ed

Huntsman 30 yard.jpeg

Last edited:
The original poster gave this very stringent criteria, so I thought I’d offer some data points as to why I chose my unregulated Daystate Huntsman Regal .22…

This Regal is insanely accurate and consistent - I likely won the barrel lottery even among Huntsman barrels.

I’ve shot the “30 Yard Challenge” 12 times with this rifle as per my chart below. I’ve never shot below 192. I shot a 200 (!) with the rifle the last time I shot it. The “X” is .03” , the 10-ring is .13” and the 9-ring is .30”. Its a very small bull - that 10 is smaller than a .177 pellet head!

My rules to myself are: no sorting or weighing pellets - shoot straight from the tin. No sighters allowed once you start the target card - so 24 straight shots.

You will note by the dates that I don’t shoot the Huntsman that often, but every time I pick it up, even after a few weeks, it can hit a sub .30” target at 30 yards time after time without fail.

Even more bizzare, you guys know that I tear down my rifles and polish them up , tweak & tune them. However, this Huntsman is as it came out of the box - I have not even touched a trigger adjustment screw!

I think unregulated guns have the best chance of meeting the original posters criteria here (just my opinion). I have some awesome, expensive regulated rifles - but if they have not been shot in a while, they need a couple “test” shots to “reset” the regulator.

Finally, because Huntsman Regals are bolt action, I have to remove my cheek to cock and essentially reset up after each shot -,you would think this would hinder consistency, but results show that it doesn’t.

So, in summary, I have measured results that show I can pick this Huntsman up after having it sit for 2 weeks, load up some unsorted JSB 15.89s straight from the tin, aim and hit a sub .30” target at 30 yards every time.

(And as a bonus, my Huntsman looks damn pretty while shootin’ straight !)

I think this is what the original poster was getting at…

-Ed

View attachment 364537
Ed
You are Spot on with why I posted this thread...

I have been very happy with majority of the replies in the thread to this point, most are staying true to the intended subject and Most are truthful...

Wanted to throw in here, I do not feel this way about my crown. Maybe if I left the old (pre-crown) smooth twist barrel on it? But that barel is very ammo picky, and fussy about velocity as well. Will shoot with the best if you cater to it. But cant run the gun wide open on power. I don't feel this way about my hw50 either. Could be my lack of skill or consistency, but generally a break barrel that sits. And now I think about it, maybe storing with with breech shut is wrong....? Seems to lose zero if sat for a while. Two both very high quality guns. But the fx thin staw barrel does not inspire confidence. Only after verifying zero and making sure not to bump it what-so-ever.

Reactions: swNCsw
I really should have said the Marauder pistol . The Taipans haven't been in my collection long enough. Never had a single issue with the P-rod and its laid more pests to rest than all the others combined.
It all comes back to the Prod! Where it all started for me. One solid squirrel getter!

Reactions: wgd and Headshots