Beeman Thanks Mike Ellingsworth!!!

I decided to send my new HW95N to Mike Ellingsworth for a tune, along with my friends R9 that had a broken spring.
Mike jumped on them and I got them back quickly.
Both rifles were flawless for the first 50 shots or so.
Unfortunately both rifles began to bind and there was metal to metal galling starting to happen.
I was dismayed to have to call Mike about it but he was totally supportive immediately about it.
I sent him the rifles and at his own expense he went through both and fixed everything!
They now cock silently and as smooth as butter!
He made up a report on what he did and here it is, complete with pictures.
Thanks again Mike for going the extra miles on these rifles.
Below is Mike’s report.

Two guns came into the shop for a full tune
Typical tune consist of a new spring and custom machined delrin spring guide and top hat.
fresh piston seal, new breech seal install and adjustment along with trigger cleaned lubed and adjusted , Barrel adjusted
with a zeroed out Hawke scope @ 18 yrds with the point of impact hitting the bulls eye.

After years of using the 0.128 spring wire with no issues both guns pistons started to gall the receiver tube, Looking into the matter It was obvious that the Outside diameter
of the spring was not filling the pistons liner enough and when in use the spring was canting with so much pressure it cause the piston to start galling the tube

The available space between bottom of piston to trigger block is checked with spring coil count and wire diameter math to work properly with the guide and top hat to work within the available space.

Switching to a wider spring that fills the piston will prevent the spring from being able to cant causing the issue, how ever after the new spring install I noticed a slight noise when cocking the barrel back fast which really bothered me, so now extra lube must be used inside the piston entrance to make that go away, and that's irritating also .

At least the new vac seal design stops piston slap or wood knock in the HW 95 models when fired and with the bigger diameter spring filling the piston we are back on track!

The only thing left was a custom Delrin piston bearing ring install and that is exactly what we did.
Two smooth HW 95 models not maxed out for maximum power is a dream and Dave totally agrees !

Here is some pictures for your interest
Thanks Dave it was a pleasure working with you !

Mike Ellingsworth

thumbnail_20240126_144501.jpg
thumbnail_20240127_161858.jpg
thumbnail_20240129_131435_resized.jpg
thumbnail_20240129_132231.jpg
thumbnail_20240129_132300.jpg

I decided to send my new HW95N to Mike Ellingsworth for a tune, along with my friends R9 that had a broken spring.
Unfortunately both rifles began to bind and there was metal to metal galling starting to happen.
I was dismayed to have to call Mike about it but he was totally supportive immediately about it.
I sent him the rifles and at his own expense he went through both and fixed everything!
Below is Mike’s report.

Typical tune consist of a new spring and custom machined delrin spring guide and top hat.
fresh piston seal, new breech seal install and adjustment along with trigger cleaned lubed and adjusted , Barrel adjusted
with a zeroed out Hawke scope @ 18 yrds with the point of impact hitting the bulls eye.

After years of using the 0.128 spring wire with no issues both guns pistons started to gall the receiver tube, Looking into the matter It was obvious that the Outside diameter
of the spring was not filling the pistons liner enough and when in use the spring was canting with so much pressure it cause the piston to start galling the tube

The available space between bottom of piston to trigger block is checked with spring coil count and wire diameter math to work properly with the guide and top hat to work within the available space.

Switching to a wider spring that fills the piston will prevent the spring from being able to cant causing the issue, how ever after the new spring install I noticed a slight noise when cocking the barrel back fast which really bothered me, so now extra lube must be used inside the piston entrance to make that go away, and that's irritating also .

At least the new vac seal design stops piston slap or wood knock in the HW 95 models when fired and with the bigger diameter spring filling the piston we are back on track!

The only thing left was a custom Delrin piston bearing ring install and that is exactly what we did.
Two smooth HW 95 models not maxed out for maximum power is a dream and Dave totally agrees !

Mike Ellingsworth

View attachment 436592View attachment 436591View attachment 436594View attachment 436590View attachment 436593
Nice!

Kingfisher here had mike work over a Hatsan 125 .25 for me 10 years ago.
For some reason he felt he owed me a favor? And I want to thank you again if you read this.

It was an amazing rifle until the barrel slipped out of my wet hands and it bent like a piece of spaghetti......... I forget what other damage it did but the gun was never the same.

Mike is a great guy to talk to and also a very stand up fellow.

Last edited:
Reactions: bf1956
Mike does good work, I really like those delrin piston guides, that's something would be nice to see from the factory, but I think Air Arms is the only one that does that.
My prosport came with a metal spring guide which I replaced with a custom delrin guide.
AA does have delrin bearing rings on the compression tube and piston.

Kingfisher here had mike work over a Hatsan 125 .25 for me 10 years ago.
For some reason he felt he owed me a favor? And I want to thank you again if you read this.

It was an amazing rifle until the barrel slipped out of my wet hands and it bent like a piece of spaghetti......... I forget what other damage it did but the gun was never the same.

Mike is a great guy to talk to and also a very stand up fellow.
Harry!!!!!
I can't believe you broke that rifle!!! That's why you can't have anything nice!!!! LOL!!!

Mike did a Turkish Patriot .25 for me. Installed a gas ram and did some magic to the trigger. Made an eagle out of a turkey!!! I still have that one. It's my apocalypse rifle.

Reactions: harrympope
A good gunsmith is hard to find. Glad everything worked out. Was there a problem with the spring kit from the manufacturer?
Like a lot of stuff these days sometimes the same product that has been excellent for years changes enough to become a monkey wrench in the gears!
Mike sorted it out and now both rifles are butter smooth and silent as they are cocked.

Mike has done several jobs for me. He built me a custom Tomahawk 2 in .20 caliber that is an awesome rifle. A top notch gun smith, and a great guy.
I definitely agree, he was instantly on it telling me not to worry.
I’m shooting the rifle indoors right now lol!
Most mornings I have a shooting session with coffee at 7 yards from the recliner and what a perfect way to start the day!
Nothing like the action of a quality springer, it makes a shooting session feel like a meditation.
Silky smooth cocking, then you seat the pellet and close the action and it makes a tight little snick and locks up for the shot.
And the balance of the HW95N is perfect for me, it just snaps into place on my shoulder.
I didn’t use to be interested in springers but now that I’ve tried a quality one I’m completely hooked.

Below is Mike’s report.

Mike Ellingsworth

View attachment 436592View attachment 436591View attachment 436594View attachment 436590View attachment 436593
How can I find Mike Elingworth info ? Can any body help plz 🙏