Thank, thank you VERY much

I think that as hunters, including game, varmints or pest animals, we have to be honest with ourselves and admit that we‘re in the field because we enjoy it. We may eat what we shoot but that’s not why most of us are there. When we are shooting pest squirrels or starlings we are enjoying the pursuit of prey and the testing of our skills. I often stop and think about this and question the right and wrong if it. But then I see movement out of the corner of my eye and I’m right back in the hunt.😁 I often tell people that if someone could invent a tin can that tried to run and hide then I might give up hunting critters. I’ll be honest and admit I like the thrill of hunting and being out in nature. I’m not out there to help out the native species(though that might be a side benefit) nor to supplement my food supplies. If that offends some people then so be it. I try to keep dead animals out of view and be respectful of other’s opinions. As long as your activities are legal and you try to be respectful than that’s really all you owe anybody else.
Kenny

@Kgphotos, I agree with most of your post. Many enjoy killing true pests, and the challenge of eliminating them in the act of being, well, pests. It's understood we'll never put a dent in their numbers in the end, but some with give it a try. 99% of my kills are on a farm, where the pest are truly affecting the owners. The same starlings I eliminate without mercy there, get a pass on my property. Rats, my preferred prey, get no mercy anywhere... @Swing360, good post... It's good to ponder these things.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer to your question. I don't have a degree in theology. I do enjoy shooting and occasionally I have taken out what I consider a pest. I have shot birds, rabbits, mice and rats. I have only taken birds or rabbits when I have seen them in the act or evidence of them destroying something of my garden/property. Rats and mice are always on the radar to be taken out. If the animals are are on my property peacefully then all are safe. I don't kill just for the thrill. They are trying to survive just as we are.

No hard answers here but maybe it will help you sort out your own thoughts to form your answer.

Reactions: Smitty911
@Kgphotos, I agree with most of your post. Many enjoy killing true pests, and the challenge of eliminating them in the act of being, well, pests. It's understood we'll never put a dent in their numbers in the end, but some with give it a try. 99% of my kills are on a farm, where the pest are truly affecting the owners. The same starlings I eliminate without mercy there, get a pass on my property. Rats, my preferred prey, get no mercy anywhere... @Swing360, good post... It's good to ponder these things.

I don't know... I used to think that, but after not seeing, let alone getting a safe shot at a pest for quite some time now... (heavy sigh)

Yeah, they will eventually re-infiltrate my yard sooner or later... but for now... I sure miss having targets!

I guess what I am saying is that I started shooting pests because, well, they are pests and were doing damage to my property.

However, because I don't shoot paper unless I need to make adjustments to the gun/scope/pellet, when I don't have pest targets, I don't shoot much, if at all.

Shooting pests has become a passion/obsession and I take pride in making clean kills. Oh well, I know they will start to show up again, but for now...

I am a very frustrated, although successful, pester. I posted a pester's lament about this a while back. (grin)

p.s.

I am not getting 1/4 of what I used to take on tree rats and so far this year, haven't killed half the number of chipmunks I did the last 2 seasons. Success! But...

Last edited:

I can certainly agree with KGs post though, i messaged him and said, while I do enjoy the sound of our song birds, I do enjoy the taking of starling probably more, especially at ranges I've not reached. Lol. While some may not call this a sport, I certainly do. I put as much work I to my shooting as I did playing sports through college.

I am in fact on a farm and that's why I do what I do. I have 1 road that passes the farm and nobody would have ever seen me had I not been mowing ditches with my rifle. Lol.

Most my shooting is off the grain bins because it's mine and yours and everyone else's grain, not the birds. Lol.

If I were in town, I'd be looking for farms to do exactly what it is we do. Lol

Reactions: SHOMER and L.Leon
I don't have an answer to your question. I don't have a degree in theology. I do enjoy shooting and occasionally I have taken out what I consider a pest. I have shot birds, rabbits, mice and rats. I have only taken birds or rabbits when I have seen them in the act or evidence of them destroying something of my garden/property. Rats and mice are always on the radar to be taken out. If the animals are are on my property peacefully then all are safe. I don't kill just for the thrill. They are trying to survive just as we are.

No hard answers here but maybe it will help you sort out your own thoughts to form your answer.

I've never considered what the good book says about hunting. Thank you! I'll give it a good read!

Can we all take a second to step back and give everybody a round of applause?

I asked my lady and she said to ask ya'll as we're all in the same hobby.

I knew this post was going to go one of 2 ways and it went the best way. Mature, well thought dialogue and replies.

Everyone here tonight, you are all absolutely awesome. True Rockstars.

Thank you

Reactions: Greenarrow
The life granted in these perilous times is way too short spent laboring under misconceptions or in some cases out right falsehoods. I humbly submit that whatever a citizen endeavors to do that's lawful, moral and does not infringe upon his fellow citizens in anyway, is permitted them. Simply we are all free within our own God given individual pursuit of happiness, where ever we may find it on this green earth. “Who are you gonna believe, me or your eyes,” ~Groucho Marx

Genesis 4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

Genesis 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Genesis 27:7 Bring me venison, and make me savoury meat, that I may eat, and bless thee before the LORD before my death.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Last edited:
We all have to follow our own code of ethics when it comes to this subject. HOPEFULLY it aligns closely with what our Maker expects/ wants from us. The hunting & pesting that I do are at agricultural properties where damage from rodents can be costly. I have to admit that in the beginning I'd go to places where vermin were plentiful & "hunted" just for the thrill of it but not any longer. I take it seriously when I take a life. I strive to do it as humanely as possible. I no longer kill just because I can with no other reason than the "thrill" or ego satisfaction. If I'm providing a service that can affect someone's livelihood that's one thing but to kill just because a living thing presents itself as a target is another. My wife has always understood the need for what I do at agri-properties but would look at me disapprovingly if I popped something just because I could. Made me reflect on what I was doing & WHY I was doing it.

Reactions: SHOMER
I think that as hunters, including game, varmints or pest animals, we have to be honest with ourselves and admit that we‘re in the field because we enjoy it. We may eat what we shoot but that’s not why most of us are there. When we are shooting pest squirrels or starlings we are enjoying the pursuit of prey and the testing of our skills. I often stop and think about this and question the right and wrong if it. But then I see movement out of the corner of my eye and I’m right back in the hunt.😁 I often tell people that if someone could invent a tin can that tried to run and hide then I might give up hunting critters. I’ll be honest and admit I like the thrill of hunting and being out in nature. I’m not out there to help out the native species(though that might be a side benefit) nor to supplement my food supplies. If that offends some people then so be it. I try to keep dead animals out of view and be respectful of other’s opinions. As long as your activities are legal and you try to be respectful than that’s really all you owe anybody else.
Kenny
Get a robot sweeper/vacuum off eBay and hop it up with larger wheels and hobby class motor and let it loose in your safe shooting spots with a target on a spring bouncing around. Sorry seems I'm just helping you spend your money. Still I think someone will market such a moving target in the near future.