Other Texan ss457 cf or bulldog 457

Wheel weight lead will work when powder coated and properly sized to your barrel. I have to buy pure lead. But on other hand had a large stash of wheel weights from the early 90's for free. Wheel weight powder cast lube properly sized slugs shoot better in my Texan than pure lead. Just make sure they are old wheel weights..... New wheel weights are Zinc...no good for us airgunners

Thank you greatly. I am going tomorrow to buy some soft lead (old pipe) I guess I will try both to see what works best. I will be attempting to powder coat all of my ammo for the Texan. Currently have a 300gr mold, a lee 340gr and 143gr round ball. Powder was delivered today and already have a toaster oven to use. I'm going to be busy learning all of this from casting to coating.

John

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
The Texan arrived today (its still in the box) been trying to cast some ammo, it's been a while. Almost all of my 300gr and 340gr are coming out with wrinkles. I've tried raising the temperature and lowering with no luck. I'm using soft lead pipe to cast with. My first try at powder coating didn't go to well with my round balls, very inconsistent. I used orange prismatic powder from Amazon and it didn't coat hardly at all.

Clean the mold and make sure no oils are in the cavity. Smoke it. Make sure the mold gets up to temperature, this may require filling and tossing many, I use an old laboratory hot plate for warming up to about 400 F. Do not put the sprues back in the pot because it lowers the temperature. If all that fails, turn up the heat. If you don't have one, buy a lead thermometer, used to be like $30 for the Lyman digital. Go between 750 and 800 degrees (my Lee pot swings pretty big)

For powder coat... Make sure to clean the ammo with alcohol to remove any oils and make sure they are dry and a little warm, I use a heat gun for this. Use black Crosman air soft BBs to help generate static. Use container with a recycle #5. Shake, a lot. If none of that works, it might be your powder. Not all colors and brands work well in this method. Eastwood Cadillac Blue is my newest favorite. The lighter Ford Blue is said to be very good. Their Red Wagon has been 50/50 for me.

The Red Mirror works fantastic, but is just polyester so not as durable. But it attaches great, and wets out like crazy.

(edit) if you are still having massive problems, you can send me the molds and I'll give it a try. From my experience, the larger the round, the easier it is to cast them. I don't have any sizing dies for 457, so can't finish the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezana4CE