Other Texan ss457 cf or bulldog 457

I'm looking to get my first big bore hunting rifle and nee a little insight. First off I already have an Alkin compressor and a 74cf air venturi fill tank so that end is covered. I need some help on picking the rifle, been looking at the Texan ss457 cf series blemished and the bulldog 457 to keep the price range similar. What are pros or cons of my choices other than the obvious single shot vs magazine, more powerful Texan and kinda ugly bulldog. Looking at most reliable and accurate at 50-100yds. Most shots under 100 for hunting whitetails. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Ive used my original .457 Texan for white tail since I got it when they first came out. It’s been an outstanding deer rifle. Ive never liked the appearance of Airforce airguns but Ive found them to be extremely reliable and tough. Of their offerings I own a .22 and .25 condor, a .25 TalonP and the .457 Texan. Zero complaints with any of them.
The Texan has put more meat in my freezer than any other airgun I’ve ever owned.
Using 290gr NSA slugs you’ll have a deer on the ground in no time.

4AD0E682-9382-4824-A94E-CEC9CA297284.jpeg

I have the Bulldog in 35 and have had dozens of AF guns over the years. Currently I have a Texan 457 and a 457 Carbine.

The Bulldog is now modified by Veradium air so it's putting out quite a bit more fpe, but I'm unsure what the BD 457 does.

Both guns are accurate, as with any big bore, finding the right slug is key. I cast my own 457's that are 'good enough' but the NSA 290's as mentioned above reign supreme. Both guns are reliable. I typically have fewer issues out of my AF guns than most others and when there is an issue, it's an easy fix. The AF gun can have a bit of a learning curve to shoot though. The BD is ugly, there is no doubt there, but the ergonomics are quite good. Still, I prefer the feel of the Texan. This may be due to familiarity. After market support is great on both.

Can pick up the Texan used here quite frequently, so that's a bonus. That'd be my pick of the two.

@MQ32pa I can’t advise you on a Texan. I’m biased towards the Bulldog platform. To better answer your question I suggest taking a look at the work of @Cheplicki. He’s got plenty of content on taking deer with big bores. I came close to buying a .457 Bulldog, but I don’t like the mag. My Bulldogs are .357s. I’m not suggesting that you buy one, that’s just what I like. I don’t know what your state’s regulations require for hunting white tails with air rifles.

Good responses below:

Last edited:
I really think it depends on the barrel you receive. Both bulldog and Texan have lother Walther barrels. Both brand s have had mixed results with consistent accuracy. Bulldog s and Texans have been both inaccurate due to low quality rough production grade factory barrels. Most of the airsmiths fire lap or hand lap both Texan and bulldog platforms. I will only buy Air force or a Bulldog at least there is long term parts support. It's a matter of luck if you get a good barrel on your big bore.

They are both a equal for your needs but the texan will have a little more power.. but u will have a longer gun and 3600psi fill single shot..

Now the bulldog does grow on you the more u shoot it.. it's light weight.. holds 3 heavy slugs and only fills to 3000psi.. also u can add and remove a suppressor whenever you want no tools needed..

After far as shooting accurately it's just finding the right slug for your gun.. most people think there gun shoots like crap but that's because they didn't take the time to find the right ammo

They are both a equal for your needs but the texan will have a little more power.. but u will have a longer gun and 3600psi fill single shot..

Now the bulldog does grow on you the more u shoot it.. it's light weight.. holds 3 heavy slugs and only fills to 3000psi.. also u can add and remove a suppressor whenever you want no tools needed..

After far as shooting accurately it's just finding the right slug for your gun.. most people think there gun shoots like crap but that's because they didn't take the time to find the right ammo
@Cheplicki @Reedmosser Can’t the .457 Texan breech accept longer and heavier slugs than the Bulldog?

Last edited:
Thank you, I've read others having barrel and accuracy issues and other complaints of air leaks. Either way dropping a grand on an air rifle i want to make sure im making a good choice.
I have every caliber in the Texan lineup. My go to is my Texan .457 CF TX2. I have over 18,800 shots on it and it has never broken down. I have only performed routine maintenance on the Rifle.

All of my calibers perform flawlessly and all of them have over 5,000 shots through them! You won’t regret it!

Reactions: SMH
I really do appreciate all of the information from all of you. Have any of you actually purchased a blem model from the airforce website if so any input on them? Not trying to completely cheap out on my first big bore but new compressor and 74 cu ft bottle purchase in preparation for the rifle put a large dent in the wallet. Leaning towards the Texan ss mostly due to not having to purchase a suppressor separately for the bulldog.

I have purchased a blem from them. I could not find the blem at all. Appeared perfect in every way.
Because I'm familiar with working on them, I would buy used. The Texans show up relatively inexpensive here. I picked up my last Texan Carbine here for $600. If you are not that familiar with them, a blem would be a good option.

The BD is ugly, there is no doubt there, but the ergonomics are quite good.
And the Air force guns are pretty? Neither looks as good as a Red Wolf with the red laminate stock. Both are pretty much utilitarian.

A long barreled bull pup has some advantages out in the field. I'm seeing some specs. that the Texan 457 can reach 600fpe in stock form, the Bulldog 457 is rated for 450fpe in stock form. If it were me, I'd probably go with the Texan LSS CF in 0.510. I might possibly go AEA Zeus in 58.

Yes Texans will shoot heavy slugs. My .510 will just fit 650 grain spire point boat tails. Velocity is 750 fps and B.C .5... Recoil terrible like shotgun... will scope new shooters.. the 457 Texan should run 500 grain spire point s no problem. Id buy a blem. My Texan was $1169.00. It was pretty rough. Buy a blem half the money. Room to work..

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
And the Air force guns are pretty? Neither looks as good as a Red Wolf with the red laminate stock. Both are pretty much utilitarian.

A long barreled bull pup has some advantages out in the field. I'm seeing some specs. that the Texan 457 can reach 600fpe in stock form, the Bulldog 457 is rated for 450fpe in stock form. If it were me, I'd probably go with the Texan LSS CF in 0.510. I might possibly go AEA Zeus in 58.
Some would say so, yes. They, like the Crosman 22xx and 13xx guns were one of the first 'Mr. Potato Head' guns out there that allowed for near endless user modification and accessorizing. But yes, of course... Neither look as good as a Red Wolf... and the Red Wolf doesnt look as good as a Red Head....haha

Some would say so, yes. They, like the Crosman 22xx and 13xx guns were one of the first 'Mr. Potato Head' guns out there that allowed for near endless user modification and accessorizing. But yes, of course... Neither look as good as a Red Wolf... and the Red Wolf doesnt look as good as a Red Head....haha
@Rob_in_NC I second that!! Mannnn, Rob’s tryna bait me in to derail the thread. Lol