• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce texan ss 308 or 357

I'm aiming to my next and final gun for a while either the 308 or 357 texan ss.. my questions is same grain bullet on both rifles is the 357 going to dispatch the pellet/slug faster or is just wasting more air... also if a deer shows up will both dispatch a deer humanly? i want an all around rifle to dispatch a coyote or a ground hog to possibly a deer?

357 same gr vs same gr, should be faster but might want to look at bc and calculate downrange ballistics for your intended hunting distance. For large game I'd recommend as close as possible. No further than 100yrds for sure. I'd say both would do the job. But check your state laws.
this totally went over my head, so I guess I don't completely understand the question or answer.. yes 357 would dispatch a animal faster, bigger hole..
but what I didn't understand is if it was referring to that or fps for the same weight bullet..
I don't know much about everything of the calibers in the airforce line but I am trying to learn.. I have read that depending on the bullet shape 308 is a longer range for target shooting.. so I assume that it is a lower bc? assuming that you have a boat tail slug.. it's what I saw they have been using for long distance.. there was video here on the front page about the longest air rifle shot record.. I did recognize Tyler Patner in the background..
so I too have been thinking about both of them 308&357.. it appears that just a quick search more variety of ammo from at least pyramid on the 308..
I also like the idea of being able to shoot, jsb pellets or a slug.. and possibly either caliber would work for that.. seems like the airforce texan has a really low shot count though..

that video I think was over 2000 yards and apparently he was not using a cold shot scope jack because he said something about not being able to get the target in the scope, so apparently he was aiming for something higher as he walked in the shots.. I really wish he would have shot a few more times, just to show he was actually hitting it reliably..
I always like reading what you have to say Dallas.. not sure what to think about you.. you seem like you sure are knowledgeable.. reminds me of Tom Gaylord 30+ years ago..I still treasure everything I see he writes but it is far and few between what I get to read from him.. now I just happen to stumble across a article here and there..
I used to get back in the day his paper.. I forgot what it was called.. but yes that was back when it came on paper in the mail..
Mark

maybe there's a option, but it seems like with the guns I have shot. that the tank being straight out of the back of the barrel, it would be harder to get comfortable with the eye level.. probably need tall rings and I have always preferred sights close to the bore.. would be great if they had some type of drop down with a regulator, and carbon fiber tank, so it could be charged to 4500 psi and have the regulator set around 2800-3000 psi and get a few more shots..
I like how the Texan has a long barrel.. I think I saw 36" to use the air and likely more accurate
Mark

Reactions: pcponly
I'm aiming to my next and final gun for a while either the 308 or 357 texan ss.. my questions is same grain bullet on both rifles is the 357 going to dispatch the pellet/slug faster or is just wasting more air... also if a deer shows up will both dispatch a deer humanly? i want an all around rifle to dispatch a coyote or a ground hog to possibly a deer?
I posted a thread asking about the Texan in 357 for deer hunting and got some pretty useful info from the guys, it was only posted a little while ago so it should be pretty easy to find, I would recommend taking a look at it.

this totally went over my head, so I guess I don't completely understand the question or answer.. yes 357 would dispatch a animal faster, bigger hole..
but what I didn't understand is if it was referring to that or fps for the same weight bullet..
I don't know much about everything of the calibers in the airforce line but I am trying to learn.. I have read that depending on the bullet shape 308 is a longer range for target shooting.. so I assume that it is a lower bc? assuming that you have a boat tail slug.. it's what I saw they have been using for long distance.. there was video here on the front page about the longest air rifle shot record.. I did recognize Tyler Patner in the background..
so I too have been thinking about both of them 308&357.. it appears that just a quick search more variety of ammo from at least pyramid on the 308..
I also like the idea of being able to shoot, jsb pellets or a slug.. and possibly either caliber would work for that.. seems like the airforce texan has a really low shot count though..

that video I think was over 2000 yards and apparently he was not using a cold shot scope jack because he said something about not being able to get the target in the scope, so apparently he was aiming for something higher as he walked in the shots.. I really wish he would have shot a few more times, just to show he was actually hitting it reliably..
I always like reading what you have to say Dallas.. not sure what to think about you.. you seem like you sure are knowledgeable.. reminds me of Tom Gaylord 30+ years ago..I still treasure everything I see he writes but it is far and few between what I get to read from him.. now I just happen to stumble across a article here and there..
I used to get back in the day his paper.. I forgot what it was called.. but yes that was back when it came on paper in the mail..
Mark
Yes for the same weight bullet ranging aroundn140 to 170 gr will the both calibers have the same speed or 357 pushes the projectile faster bigger valve?

Reactions: markhooper
I posted a thread asking about the Texan in 357 for deer hunting and got some pretty useful info from the guys, it was only posted a little while ago so it should be pretty easy to find, I would recommend taking a look at it.
would it be possible for you to like, send me a link.. honestly most of the time I can't find threads I read unless I click follow.. and then after awhile I don't know where to get back to it..

I'm still confused about the follow button on someone profile.. I clicked on several people who I love reading what they say, and I was expecting to see various threads that they comment on but I honestly don't know what the button actually does, seems like it might be just for looks? because the only follow button that has made any changes is like the one on this thread, I clicked follow and here you are..
I'm very interested in the airforce texan, 30 likely, or 357 but only reason I can see for 357 is if there's pistol reloading bullets that would be compatible with it so I could get them in a pinch while waiting for a order..
I'd definitely likely get a 45 Texan but I have watched enough videos that I don't think I would shoot it much.. looks like too much recoil.. to be fair, since I have gotten older I can't shoulder my 357 lever action with just 38 and the 410 either.. just hurts to much.. about the only powder guns I shoot now unless it's a emergency is a Henry golden boy 22 and a Ruger bearcat, and the bearcat is just agula colibri ammo, primer only.. colibri is only good out to 10 meters, it's poorly made and has sprues on the side of some and yes it has less power than my notos...cci CB shorts are better quality when I just have to get out my cowboy guns .. while I love cowboy guns, I have pretty much gone to shooting PCPs because I enjoy the lower amount of noise.. although I have a hatsan blitz and it's noise gets to me before it's like 10# trigger..
I keep looking at the umarex Colt SAA and the legends lever action or the Barra Schofield, I've never handled any Schofield but I have a fair collection of single six and the Barra golden boy to match .. unfortunately the cartridges on the Colt SAA and the Barra are not interchangeable either.. the Barra has a pretty big advantage because they unlike umarex sell parts.. I was shocked to see reseal kits and barrel from Barra..Barra also has a 177 rifle barrel and a 22 rifle barrel but the 22 is pretty anemic..guess I figured that CO2 guns were basically disposable.. can't talk myself into trying one because I just don't know if I would enjoy the power level, if I am plinking I usually use empty food cans.. I don't have any access to aluminum cans and I like to shoot spinners.. but I'm very hesitant to get into CO2 cartridges plus I don't know if they will have enough power to put a hole in a can or knock it over for that matter..
wishing the mustang lobo lever action PCP was not out of reach and a matching single six..

if I don't figure out the airforce texan 308, and be able to find a used one, since new would break my bank..my next choice down is the umarex gauntlet SL 30 caliber ..
not only is it also require getting a scope, hopefully high magnification, since I primarily want to shoot long range.. my American tactical liberty nova 22 will do 160 yards with open sights so much farther than that, so either I need to get a FFP high magnification scope and a cold shot scope jack or just put on the Williams rear notch sight with the veneer scale and machine a front sight.. but I'm having a harder time seeing, so I guess ideally find a used airforce texan 308 and a high magnification FFP scope hopefully used and a probably a new cold shot scope jack.. because they are rare to see used, someone gets one and they are so good they don't usually sell them

Yes for the same weight bullet ranging aroundn140 to 170 gr will the both calibers have the same speed or 357 pushes the projectile faster bigger valve?
yes I don't have a clue to that question.. I also wonder how easy is it to change adjustments for power, like low power for more shots shooting 50-100 yards with jsb 48 pellets and then the heavier bullets for long distance or if a emergency, like something trying to eat my dog..
and how easy is it to get repetitive settings.. so basically figure out what settings are best for each one and then do the exact same sitting with the same ammo..
id like to see a video of someone shooting the airforce texan in 308 with regular boat tail slugs.. I got to shoot a friend's Jefferson rifle 30 caliber and I absolutely loved it.. so really thinking about something 30 caliber..

I can't speak for the 357 Texan but I can for the long barrel 308 with a slight modification and ammo is a boat tail, I would use https://www.alcobullets.com/ no matter what you pick. I always go bigger than what I need as far as caliber. You need 150fpe for large deer.
Drag Function: G1
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.2521
Bullet Weight: 135 gr
Initial Velocity: 946 fps
Sight Height : 1.5 in
Shooting Angle: 0°
Wind Speed: 5 mph
Wind Angle: 90°
Zero Range: 100 yd
Chart Range: 200 yd
Maximum Range: 2917 yd
Step Size: 25 yd
International Standard Atmosphere
Altitude: Sea Level (0 ft)
Barometric Pressure: 29.92 Hg
Temperature: 59° F
Relative Humidity: 50%
Speed of Sound: 1116 fps

RangeElevationElevationElevationWindageWindageWindageTimeEnergyVel[x+y]
(yd)(in)(MOA)(MIL)(in)(MOA)(MIL)(s)(ft.lbf)(ft/s)
- Sound Barrier (1116 fps) -
0-1.500.000.000.050.000.000.00268946
252.77-10.50-3.050.110.410.120.08259930
504.48-8.53-2.480.290.550.160.16251915
753.60-4.57-1.330.590.750.220.25243900
1000.04-0.03-0.011.000.960.280.33235886
125-6.304.801.401.531.170.340.41228873
150-15.489.842.862.171.380.400.50222860
175-27.6015.054.382.931.600.460.59216848
200-42.7420.395.933.791.810.530.68210836

TYLERHASKINS2
I searched for you thread you mentioned about the Texan 357 but I can't find it.
Mark
Click on his name, then click on his posts and scroll through them until you find the one you are looking for.

Click on his name, then click on his posts and scroll through them until you find the one you are looking for.

I already tried that.. I'm terrible at finding things..if I unstood correctly I was expecting a comparison for the 308 & 357 airforce texan long barrel.
Mark

I can't speak for the 357 Texan but I can for the long barrel 308 with a slight modification and ammo is a boat tail, I would use https://www.alcobullets.com/ no matter what you pick. I always go bigger than what I need as far as caliber. You need 150fpe for large deer.
Drag Function: G1
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.2521
Bullet Weight: 135 gr
Initial Velocity: 946 fps
Sight Height : 1.5 in
Shooting Angle: 0°
Wind Speed: 5 mph
Wind Angle: 90°
Zero Range: 100 yd
Chart Range: 200 yd
Maximum Range: 2917 yd
Step Size: 25 yd
International Standard Atmosphere
Altitude: Sea Level (0 ft)
Barometric Pressure: 29.92 Hg
Temperature: 59° F
Relative Humidity: 50%
Speed of Sound: 1116 fps

RangeElevationElevationElevationWindageWindageWindageTimeEnergyVel[x+y]
(yd)(in)(MOA)(MIL)(in)(MOA)(MIL)(s)(ft.lbf)(ft/s)
- Sound Barrier (1116 fps) -
0-1.500.000.000.050.000.000.00268946
252.77-10.50-3.050.110.410.120.08259930
504.48-8.53-2.480.290.550.160.16251915
753.60-4.57-1.330.590.750.220.25243900
1000.04-0.03-0.011.000.960.280.33235886
125-6.304.801.401.531.170.340.41228873
150-15.489.842.862.171.380.400.50222860
175-27.6015.054.382.931.600.460.59216848
200-42.7420.395.933.791.810.530.68210836
those alco bullets look sweet brass or copper? im liking the 150 gr... and how can you not speak about 357 when your name is 357 haha jk

Last edited:
357 same gr vs same gr, should be faster but might want to look at bc and calculate downrange ballistics for your intended hunting distance. For large game I'd recommend as close as possible. No further than 100yrds for sure. I'd say both would do the job. But check your state laws.
yes im intending nothing more than 75 yards... tree stands or honestly from my bedroom window haha i put corn out here is legal to bait deers

would it be possible for you to like, send me a link.. honestly most of the time I can't find threads I read unless I click follow.. and then after awhile I don't know where to get back to it..

I'm still confused about the follow button on someone profile.. I clicked on several people who I love reading what they say, and I was expecting to see various threads that they comment on but I honestly don't know what the button actually does, seems like it might be just for looks? because the only follow button that has made any changes is like the one on this thread, I clicked follow and here you are..
I'm very interested in the airforce texan, 30 likely, or 357 but only reason I can see for 357 is if there's pistol reloading bullets that would be compatible with it so I could get them in a pinch while waiting for a order..
I'd definitely likely get a 45 Texan but I have watched enough videos that I don't think I would shoot it much.. looks like too much recoil.. to be fair, since I have gotten older I can't shoulder my 357 lever action with just 38 and the 410 either.. just hurts to much.. about the only powder guns I shoot now unless it's a emergency is a Henry golden boy 22 and a Ruger bearcat, and the bearcat is just agula colibri ammo, primer only.. colibri is only good out to 10 meters, it's poorly made and has sprues on the side of some and yes it has less power than my notos...cci CB shorts are better quality when I just have to get out my cowboy guns .. while I love cowboy guns, I have pretty much gone to shooting PCPs because I enjoy the lower amount of noise.. although I have a hatsan blitz and it's noise gets to me before it's like 10# trigger..
I keep looking at the umarex Colt SAA and the legends lever action or the Barra Schofield, I've never handled any Schofield but I have a fair collection of single six and the Barra golden boy to match .. unfortunately the cartridges on the Colt SAA and the Barra are not interchangeable either.. the Barra has a pretty big advantage because they unlike umarex sell parts.. I was shocked to see reseal kits and barrel from Barra..Barra also has a 177 rifle barrel and a 22 rifle barrel but the 22 is pretty anemic..guess I figured that CO2 guns were basically disposable.. can't talk myself into trying one because I just don't know if I would enjoy the power level, if I am plinking I usually use empty food cans.. I don't have any access to aluminum cans and I like to shoot spinners.. but I'm very hesitant to get into CO2 cartridges plus I don't know if they will have enough power to put a hole in a can or knock it over for that matter..
wishing the mustang lobo lever action PCP was not out of reach and a matching single six..

if I don't figure out the airforce texan 308, and be able to find a used one, since new would break my bank..my next choice down is the umarex gauntlet SL 30 caliber ..
not only is it also require getting a scope, hopefully high magnification, since I primarily want to shoot long range.. my American tactical liberty nova 22 will do 160 yards with open sights so much farther than that, so either I need to get a FFP high magnification scope and a cold shot scope jack or just put on the Williams rear notch sight with the veneer scale and machine a front sight.. but I'm having a harder time seeing, so I guess ideally find a used airforce texan 308 and a high magnification FFP scope hopefully used and a probably a new cold shot scope jack.. because they are rare to see used, someone gets one and they are so good they don't usually sell them
https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...itable-for-deer-hunting.1308291/#post-1696393
that should take you there.

a .35 is generally tuned to alot more power than a .30 .. not that you cant get a couple of thousand pounds of energy out of a .22 if its pushed hard enough ..im saying generally speaking, a .35 is gonna have more as to it, 'and' use more air .. id say thats where the decision will lie ..if your popping pararie dogs the .30 would be better, more shots ..deer/hog you dont need more than a couple harder hitting shots ..like that ..

a .35 is generally tuned to alot more power than a .30 .. not that you cant get a couple of thousand pounds of energy out of a .22 if its pushed hard enough ..im saying generally speaking, a .35 is gonna have more as to it, 'and' use more air .. id say thats where the decision will lie ..if your popping pararie dogs the .30 would be better, more shots ..deer/hog you dont need more than a couple harder hitting shots ..like that ..
well i already have a talonp .25 cal so that one can do most of those small medium pest/game so i think im leaning to the .357

Reactions: markhooper
@markhooper generally speaking most airgun models will shoot within 100-200fps or so of each consecutive caliber increase. There is often a substantial weight increase for each jump in caliber. And there is pretty much always a jump in power associated. Power isn't free. Takes power to make power. Larger valving/ports hammer changes. But also part of the equation is the Larger bore. A larger bore area makes a big difference. This is why longer barrels produce more power for one given caliber. Although there are some cases where this does not happen. Air is relatively low pressure compared to powder guns. So, it is more about volume and leverage. More bore capacity allows expending air more leverage to do its thing. So, most guns, if the projectile weight and barrel length is equal, will shoot faster with a larger bore. But larger caliber guns are usually tuned and modified to output more air volume to drive the heavier projectiles associated with the caliber increase. This is not always the case, but with high power hunting guns, it really should be.

those alco bullets look sweet brass or copper? im liking the 150 gr... and how can you not speak about 357 when your name is 357 haha jk
LOL, because my357 is the big 9 not Texan. Hunter’s Special – Alco is now offering both 25- and 50-Count Pacs for our customers. Serious outdoorsmen will appreciate these excellent air rifle bullets designed for extreme accuracy and maximum terminal ballistics. Upon impact, the metal tip separates allowing the lead pellet to become an open hollow point allowing for significant expansion to take down game humanely. Alco big bore airgun ammo is composed of a swaged soft 100% lead for additional measures to increase your ballistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcponly